You wanna talk expensive check this out
Nov 22, 2002 at 10:00 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 17

james bennett

New Head-Fier
I just bought 2 pair of MIT MH 850 CVT music hoses speaker cables. I got a package deal and the guy almost threw them in with the stuff I bought from him. He said they were better than the Spectral $8000.00 CD player I bought used. Any way I get home and look them up to see what they cost new and I could'nt believe my #$%^&% eyes $13500.00 for an 8ft pair He also threw in a 15ft pair I'm afraid to think what he payed for the 15 footers.

I'm seriously thinking of having a nice picture frame built around One pair with the speaker wire on one side and a picture of a starving child on the other under the cables the words ( price $13500.00 ) and under the starving child the words ( priceless )

What do you all think about that idea?

I've never even tried them It seems to be one of the worst expenditures of money I've ever heard of. It kinda makes me sick.

Jim B

Nov 23, 2002 at 1:42 AM Post #3 of 17
dream slacker,

I believe that $3500 price is for "used" cables.

I don't think I could ever get even close to that "used" price for new cables. At least I hope I never get to that point of audio insanity.

Nov 23, 2002 at 1:47 AM Post #4 of 17
Quote:

Originally posted by darkclouds
dream slacker,

I believe that $3500 price is for "used" cables.

I don't think I could ever get even close to that "used" price for new cables. At least I hope I never get to that point of audio insanity.

Yes, I know that price is for used cables. But looking at his post, I can't help but think that he paid quite some amount for the cables.

There are other sales for the cables going as low as $2.9K as I could see.

I know I won't get to that level of audio insanity.. Hehee... My choice of music certainly doesn't come in anything better than Redbooks to demand such levels of spending.

Nov 23, 2002 at 7:06 AM Post #5 of 17
Ok, you wanna know what I payed for the cables? $100.00 I swear to God and I had no idea what they were worth.
He also threw in 5 sets of MIT330 interconnects toboot. Thats over $30,000.00 ( retail ) worth of cables for $100.00

I payed a total of $900.00 for all the stuff I bought including the cables.
Remember I'm not a rich guy. That $900.00 broke me.

Talk about a kid in a candy store

I'm still afraid to hook them up.

I still wanna know what you guys think of the picture frame idea (read origional post)

Nov 23, 2002 at 1:47 PM Post #6 of 17
Starving children?

I would not worry about them, that is the job of the government of the country they live in and the parents that bred them.

Nov 23, 2002 at 2:09 PM Post #7 of 17
Quote:

Originally posted by fredpb
Starving children?

I would not worry about them, that is the job of the government of the country they live in and the parents that bred them.

But they don't usually do their jobs aye?

james:
Very good deal, I'd say. Now, would that be a play on Mastercard advertisements? Doesn't seem that convincing..

Nov 23, 2002 at 3:17 PM Post #8 of 17
Starving children eh? You could put these cables up in the second hand market and use the money to feed the whole of Africa for one day...
cool.gif

HiBy Stay updated on HiBy at their facebook, website or email (icons below). Stay updated on HiBy at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/hibycom https://store.hiby.com/ service@hiby.com
Nov 23, 2002 at 4:43 PM Post #9 of 17
The MH-850 line is no longer made (not listed at MIT's site). The actual value may depend on just how old they are. Equivalent cables at MIT currently run about $3K. I believe the Oracle line is their top, but it was also the top when the MH-850 line was out, IIRC. The value of the MI-330's depends on what series they are. The originals might be worth about $40/pair. Series II in beige about $50-60. Series II in gray is more recent, and was cleared out a year or so ago at $150/pr. Audioadvisor may still have these. Retail was $300. I don't even know what Series III ran for, but I'd bet a used pair is in about the $150 area.

The markup on cables is about the largest in audio. He may have paid less than you think.

Nov 23, 2002 at 4:57 PM Post #10 of 17
Man...$100 for $13500 cables? Here is what I would do. Sell the cables and invest in components. Dude...you can sell them for say $5000 total and make the profit of a life-time! If you say the $900 broke you, recoup your costs! Put the $900 back in your bank and heck...add another $1100 for good measure, then go and drop $3000 on equipment ; )

Nov 24, 2002 at 6:42 AM Post #11 of 17
Why do you think the dealer gave away those cables for $100 if you can actually resell them for that much?
rolleyes.gif

HiBy Stay updated on HiBy at their facebook, website or email (icons below). Stay updated on HiBy at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/hibycom https://store.hiby.com/ service@hiby.com
Nov 24, 2002 at 4:24 PM Post #14 of 17
Quote:

Originally posted by Joe Bloggs
Why do you think the dealer gave away those cables for $100 if you can actually resell them for that much?
rolleyes.gif

Joe, consider that the MH-850 CVT cables are listing for between $2K and $4K on Audiogon, and think again.

Nov 24, 2002 at 7:50 PM Post #15 of 17
Quote:

Originally posted by Dreamslacker
But they don't usually do their jobs aye?

james:
Very good deal, I'd say. Now, would that be a play on Mastercard advertisements? Doesn't seem that convincing..

So what? It is not our job to feed the world. You wanna feed em? Go ahead. Write a check.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back