you must keep two headphones only
Mar 23, 2023 at 10:01 PM Post #196 of 262
It will be very interesting to know why people keept these two, instead of the others and why two and not one.... if not it is only a list thread with nothing save brand names...
The first post stated to chose two that compliment each other. It sounds like most people, as I have, chose one headphone for solid state and another headphone for tubes.

Mar 23, 2023 at 10:34 PM Post #198 of 262
Because each headphone has a different sound signature. Even if an all rounder, you want choices, based on songs, genre and your mood.
In a way i understand that.... If i suppose that no headphone is really good on all minimal acoustic factors... After all any engineering design is a sum of trade-off choices... Nothing is perfect.... Perhaps the Sennheiser orpheus is though... at his price it better beat my 100 bucks headphone A TOTL from 40 years ago and beat it on ALL acoustic factors ....

But in the other way, suppose there exist some headphone that is good on all acoustic main factors, then you stay immersed in the music, sound dont bother you anymore and you think about the music not about a change of "color" or an upgrade for more "details" ...

But i am pretty sure that an headphone just good, even if not perfect on all acoustic factors, is so rare, people not owning one collect headphones or at least chose between a few to change the place where it hurted...

I am lucky myself then, or i like music too much to listen the difference between my 8 others headphones which sleep forever in a closet .... Generally as i said above i dislike all the 8 headphones i owned save one.... After this headphone i did not think to any upgrade.... Why? I would be afraid to throw big money on an headphone better than mine on one or two or three acoustic factors but with unrealistic bass, or more details but unnatural timbre experience etc....Mine is good or acceptable on ALL acoustic factors and even posess some which are unique by virtue of his clever design...

Last edited:
Mar 23, 2023 at 10:36 PM Post #199 of 262
For me it’s good to have one open and one closed back for real life purposes. That’s why Sus and Stellia. Both TOTL for me.

Mar 23, 2023 at 10:42 PM Post #200 of 262
One open and one closed.... This is a good reason... Your headphones list is impressive choices....Congratulations....

My headphone of choice is neither closed nor open... :)

Mar 23, 2023 at 10:53 PM Post #202 of 262
I understand.... Noise cancelling could be very useful indeed... IEM are another world too.... Perhaps i am too old and this gives me some different biases and no need for more than the one headphone i use.... But we are all different for sure...

Anyway i love mine too much .... :wink:

Last edited:
Mar 23, 2023 at 11:03 PM Post #204 of 262
I had bought 8 before the ONE....

And i dislike so much the others that discovering the one i concentrate on music.... I own near 10,000 albums in files format... Lossless... The bass, the highs and the realistic mids coupled with a speaker like sound make the AKG K340 a TOTL even today after 40 years.... Modulo some optimization on it.... But beware it is an old headphone not for beginners and not for all taste.... As many things in life....:)

Last edited:
Mar 24, 2023 at 7:23 AM Post #206 of 262
I’ll throw my hat in the ring, First, Neumann NDH30. Super accurate, sensitive and relatively low impedance, great for solid state. Second, Sennheiser HD 660S2. Super musical, high impedance. Great with an OTL tube amp.

Last edited:
Mar 24, 2023 at 10:44 AM Post #207 of 262
ADX5000 and Elite
Audio technica for daily stuff and gaming
Meze for enjoyment

Mar 24, 2023 at 1:40 PM Post #209 of 262
iBasso SR2 (or SR3) and Sennheiser HD598. The former's got everything I could ever ask for from an audiophile headphone, and the latter's just close to my heart (sentimental value).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back