You know you're poor when........
Sep 18, 2007 at 9:33 PM Post #46 of 58
Quote:

Originally Posted by badpenny /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hmmm... Vacation to Greece or power cable... What to do... what to do.....

The power cable will last for a good long while, providing ..errr..power , in a very special , powerful way. Whilst your luxury holiday to Greece will be but a fleeting memory in years to come....such a bargain at this price , the decision is an obvious one .... I may just buy two myself , always good to have a spare handy for emergencies..

Sep 19, 2007 at 4:53 AM Post #47 of 58
Quote:

Originally Posted by YoungClayB /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I dont get it. $4k for a cable that connects to $0.15 per foot ROMEX power cable inside the wall
confused.gif

Sure looks cool though....although not as cool as 40 crisp hundred dollar bills

If you hardwire the Romex wall cable into the component you get the most low-level detail. But too much low-level detail is noisy and fatiguing. If there is AC noise in the line it will make it sound edgy and bright.

If you remove the low-level detail with an aftermarket power cord it will give the illusion of a blacker background. It will also tone down the brightness which means that the AC noise doesn't matter much anymore.

The only way an aftermarket power cord can improve the sound is if it's shielded. That will give more low-level detail and true blackness. Using ERS Paper shielding around the Romex in the wall should give the best sound. You don't need to spend $$$$ on a power cable if the only thing you want is shielding.
Nordost Valhalla power cable isn't shielded, that's why it's so good for the price. I don't want to spend money for shielding if I can make my own for very cheap.

With my Cary CD transport I compared stock + ERS vs Valhalla + ERS. The stock had more low-level detail but it was too fatiguing. Valhalla had less low-level detail which made it sound cleaner.

I'm using 5.5 meters 1 conductor Valhalla for my computer now. And it gave the smoothest sound I have ever heard. But that was just because the Valhalla made the power supply function worse which resulted in less low-level detail. It sounds weak, thin and hollow unlike any other cable I have tried. With normal cables you either get heavier sound with less low-level detail, or more low-level detail and thinner sound. But with Valhalla it's the opposite. Thinner sound + less low-level detail. If you add more conductors to the cable you get heavier sound but even less low-level detail. It makes it sound very warm and clean. But it won't sound muddy like other cables because it's clean. It's a great cable if there is excessive brightness in the system. It's amazing for the bright computer.

Sep 19, 2007 at 5:47 AM Post #49 of 58
You know you're poor, whan you have to sell your best friend's bone, and now, even he won't talk to you.

Sep 19, 2007 at 1:15 PM Post #50 of 58
Quote:

Originally Posted by Patrick82 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If you hardwire the Romex wall cable into the component you get the most low-level detail. But too much low-level detail is noisy and fatiguing. If there is AC noise in the line it will make it sound edgy and bright.

If you remove the low-level detail with an aftermarket power cord it will give the illusion of a blacker background. It will also tone down the brightness which means that the AC noise doesn't matter much anymore.

The only way an aftermarket power cord can improve the sound is if it's shielded. That will give more low-level detail and true blackness. Using ERS Paper shielding around the Romex in the wall should give the best sound. You don't need to spend $$$$ on a power cable if the only thing you want is shielding.
Nordost Valhalla power cable isn't shielded, that's why it's so good for the price. I don't want to spend money for shielding if I can make my own for very cheap.

With my Cary CD transport I compared stock + ERS vs Valhalla + ERS. The stock had more low-level detail but it was too fatiguing. Valhalla had less low-level detail which made it sound cleaner.

I'm using 5.5 meters 1 conductor Valhalla for my computer now. And it gave the smoothest sound I have ever heard. But that was just because the Valhalla made the power supply function worse which resulted in less low-level detail. It sounds weak, thin and hollow unlike any other cable I have tried. With normal cables you either get heavier sound with less low-level detail, or more low-level detail and thinner sound. But with Valhalla it's the opposite. Thinner sound + less low-level detail. If you add more conductors to the cable you get heavier sound but even less low-level detail. It makes it sound very warm and clean. But it won't sound muddy like other cables because it's clean. It's a great cable if there is excessive brightness in the system. It's amazing for the bright computer.

In my case, removing the shielding yielded more low level detail! The shielding made the cable sound very dark and muddy! Now it is crisp and clear. i have a bit more noise, but that's ok.

Sep 19, 2007 at 2:07 PM Post #53 of 58
Quote:

Originally Posted by tourmaline /img/forum/go_quote.gif
In my case, removing the shielding yielded more low level detail! The shielding made the cable sound very dark and muddy! Now it is crisp and clear. i have a bit more noise, but that's ok.

Yes I forgot about that. Aftermarket cables have the shield too close to the cable which removes more low-level detail than the shielding gains. When the shield is too close it sounds muddy. When the shield removes EMI it sounds warm with more low-level detail. But there is still less low-level detail because the too close shield affects the cable more.

Separating the ERS Paper shield by 1+ cm gave no weaknesses. When I tried half cm around my headphone cable it made it worse. But when I added another layer around it I got more clarity. It seems like when EMI hits the shield there's a constant 1cm field around it that interferes with the signal.

When I separated the shield of my headphone cable with toilet paper rolls and cotton thread I got more dynamics, low-level detail, clarity and extended frequencies. It got better in every way. I got a 3dB boost in volume too. It gave the same improvements as mass damping with books.

Sep 20, 2007 at 1:43 AM Post #54 of 58
Quote:

Originally Posted by Kees /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You know you're rich when you realise you don't need anything like this.

ah hahaha!!!!!!
So ture!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Sep 20, 2007 at 7:15 PM Post #56 of 58
Quote:

Originally Posted by tourmaline /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Or, he means he allready got those.....
wink.gif
cool.gif
icon10.gif
or better.....

It's true either way.
But no, I don't have nor need anything like it and that feels pretty relaxed.
biggrin.gif

Sep 21, 2007 at 7:13 PM Post #57 of 58
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll..._promot_widget

Law of diminishing returns....

No music - lame
Headphones - wicked!
Amp - quite a bit better!
New cables - small details got better!
Special Power cable - very small details got better
Expensive Special power cable - very small details got a very small bit better
VERY Expensive Special power cable - very small details got a very small bit better I THINK (and hope)

I mean come on. An also, its totally true that its about the feeling you get from the MUSIC first!

Anyways check out those speaker cables, expensive? Not for the amazing sound change I'll get!!!111!!!!11!1!

Sep 21, 2007 at 7:16 PM Post #58 of 58
Quote:

Originally Posted by krc2 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll..._promot_widget

Law of diminishing returns....

No music - lame
Headphones - wicked!
Amp - quite a bit better!
New cables - small details got better!
Special Power cable - very small details got better
Expensive Special power cable - very small details got a very small bit better
VERY Expensive Special power cable - very small details got a very small bit better I THINK (and hope)

I mean come on. An also, its totally true that its about the feeling you get from the MUSIC first!

Anyways check out those speaker cables, expensive? Not for the amazing sound change I'll get!!!111!!!!11!1!

My expensive IC or powercables are more musical, giving more musical sense then cheap cables, in return they sound lifeless and harsh!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back