You know you're poor when........
Sep 16, 2007 at 7:24 PM Post #31 of 58
If I had $4K to spend on audio, it would NOT go for cables, esp. power cables. I would squander it on a really good DAC or better Stax than my SR-5's. Or maybe, "Bump the audio! I'm spending it on a car!"

BTW, you know you're poor when...a major electronics purchase is a new flashlight. Been there...aka marriage.
frown.gif
frown.gif
frown.gif
frown.gif
frown.gif
frown.gif

Laz

Sep 17, 2007 at 12:42 AM Post #32 of 58
If I had $4k to spend on audio and I already had a $1k DAC1. I wouldn't spend it on a new source, I would spend it on Magix levitation feet, ERS Paper and power cords. Because I have compared them against my $4k CD player.

Sep 17, 2007 at 1:39 AM Post #33 of 58
Quote:

Originally Posted by Patrick82 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If I had $4k to spend on audio and I already had a $1k DAC1. I wouldn't spend it on a new source, I would spend it on Magix levitation feet, ERS Paper and power cords....

However, the original post is about spending it on a $4K cable.

Sep 17, 2007 at 1:45 AM Post #34 of 58
Quote:

Originally Posted by immtbiker /img/forum/go_quote.gif
But none of this should make you feel poor. Not having people to love and people loving you makes you poor, and Towert7, you have a loving family, and that is true wealth!

Thanks for the nice words Immtbiker.
Yes, I know I am loved, but there are times when I feel poor, financially. To me there is a distinction.
Seeing this cable, or even worse, their speaker cables for 20,000$, is one of those times when I really feel poor ($ wise).

It doesn't get me down [much, if at all], just gives me the drive to do something in life that I like that will help me afford such things.
^_^

Sep 17, 2007 at 2:15 AM Post #35 of 58
If Benchmark DAC1 and Cary 303/300 didn't have any tweaks at all. Then Cary + Nordost Vishnu would give little better sound than DAC1 + Nordost Valhalla. But I would still spend the money on the power cord because once you add vibration isolation the DAC1 becomes better than Cary. The more tweaks I added the more veiled the Cary became, but the DAC1 just kept improving in smoothness, transparency, low-level detail, bass and soundstage size.

It is better to plan your future purchases instead of only think one move ahead. You keep the power cord your whole life so it's the better buy even if it doesn't give you the most for your money right away.

If you tone down excessive brightness with veiled electronics you get the illusion of more low-level detail, but the difference is very small. If you plug in a stock power cable into a high-end source and it sounds smooth and musical, then the source isn't working properly. If you get harsh, bright, edgy and fatiguing sound, then the source is working like it should. If you fix the vibration, EMI and AC problems then all that brightness turns into warmth + low-level detail.

An unshielded power cord doesn't fix any problems, it just colors the sound to the worse to make it more listenable. I prefer to veil the sound with the Valhalla power cord instead of blurry DACs or tubes because the power cord is already in the path.

Using upsampling is better than adding a power cord because it doesn't reduce low-level detail, but it wasn't enough smoothness to me, AES/EBU does only 192kHz. I had to add a Valhalla band-aid that removes a lot of low-level detail to make it sound musical, I like the Valhalla because after I modified it thinner I get only little less low-level detail than neutral, but also faster sound than neutral, everything sounds kind of hollow. It makes the power supply work very badly, but I like that flavor, that's why I would buy the Valhalla before any other components.

Sep 17, 2007 at 3:00 AM Post #36 of 58
I am reminded of a song at this juncture:

we come from the land of the ice and snow
of the midnight sun where the hot springs blow

the hammer of the gods will drive our ships to new land
to fight the horde, sing and cry:
Valhalla, I am coming...

Laz
wink.gif

Sep 17, 2007 at 6:06 AM Post #37 of 58
Quote:

Originally Posted by tourmaline /img/forum/go_quote.gif
As long you have fun listening to the music, money isn't into the equation.
No matter what the quality of the sound is.

Instruments cannot measure how happy somebody can be to hear his favourite song or bring back certain memories when he/she is hearing music or a specific song/cd!

Thank god happyness isn't always measured in money or how much equipment you have!

If you want to get very technical, they can. Also many other emotions, as well as manipulate the brain to invoke emotions. But all that isn't part of this thread.
wink.gif

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/programme...la/4880272.stm

Sep 17, 2007 at 6:38 AM Post #38 of 58
i know i'm poor when i see a px100 on the shelf for $40 and stopped myself from buying it cuz i needed to save money to eat =0

Sep 17, 2007 at 10:44 AM Post #39 of 58
Quote:

Originally Posted by LawnGnome /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If you want to get very technical, they can. Also many other emotions, as well as manipulate the brain to invoke emotions. But all that isn't part of this thread.
wink.gif

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/programme...la/4880272.stm

I know, it was just a manner of speaking that only money or equipment doesn't make you happy alone. There are still things you cannot put a price on!

Sep 18, 2007 at 8:31 PM Post #42 of 58
Quote:

Originally Posted by n4k33n /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Am I the only one who has decided patrick is completely bat**** insane?

That's real classy of you, making statements like that about one of the greatest minds of our time.

Sep 18, 2007 at 8:33 PM Post #43 of 58
The guy is obsessive about his tweaking, but then again, we're all bat**** insane ourselves about something in one way or another (probably).
As long as he doesn't hurt himself or others doing so and he's having fun, I don't see the problem whether he's using stock power cords or $10k ones.
biggrin.gif

Sep 18, 2007 at 8:58 PM Post #44 of 58
Quote:

Originally Posted by n4k33n /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Am I the only one who has decided patrick is completely bat**** insane?

First of all, please don't say "bat****" (oops I just said it) on Head-Fi...our moms are reading, and second of all, definitely not
plainface.gif

Sep 18, 2007 at 9:23 PM Post #45 of 58
I dont get it. $4k for a cable that connects to $0.15 per foot ROMEX power cable inside the wall
confused.gif

Sure looks cool though....although not as cool as 40 crisp hundred dollar bills

Users who are viewing this thread

Back