You know you're poor when........
Sep 14, 2007 at 10:50 PM Post #16 of 58
Quote:

Originally Posted by Girardian /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm in the middle of going down the cable primrose path (second upgrade and a major one in the Virtual Dynamics line).

While I don't 'believe' in pricey cables I have heard the difference and, as a result, have a lot invested in them. They just seem to let me hear more and I'm more inclined (for whatever reason) to "finish the job" with cables and get as much out of my current set up as possible.

Is it worth the money? Arguably not.

Do I own them anyway? I do.

Has a fool and his money parted? Perhaps. Easily? No.

Could I get just as much out of my system for the money by investing the funds in something other than cables? Yes. But there's something really driving me to get the most I can out of my current components.

You spent the money, you have more music, so what is the problem?!

Remember that good cables scale with more expensive equipment, cheap cables don't!

So, if you would upgrade components, you still would have to buy higher end cables to max. out your rig.

Sep 14, 2007 at 11:05 PM Post #17 of 58
Quote:

Originally Posted by tourmaline /img/forum/go_quote.gif

look at expensive houses, cars etc, they sell!

The house analogy is not really accurate.

A $4k Power cord is arguably not a lot better than a $100 one. However an $70,000 Two-up, two-down Rat-shack is without any doubt whatsoever not as good as a $15,000,000 mansion w/20 rooms, a swimming pool, a tennis court...

Sep 14, 2007 at 11:40 PM Post #18 of 58
Quote:

Originally Posted by Chri5peed /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The house analogy is not really accurate.

A $4k Power cord is arguably not a lot better than a $100 one. However an $70,000 Two-up, two-down Rat-shack is without any doubt whatsoever not as good as a $15,000,000 mansion w/20 rooms, a swimming pool, a tennis court...

The problem with having a mansion with 20 rooms is that you need to spend more time cleaning it than listening to your audio system.

If I had a mansion I would build a race track inside. A skyscraper might be better because of more G forces.

A power cord is a better investment than a house because you can just plug it in and leave it there. If you want to move the power cord just put it inside a bag and carry it with you, you can't do that with a house.

Sep 15, 2007 at 3:05 AM Post #19 of 58
Quote:

Originally Posted by Patrick82 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
A power cord is a better investment than a house because you can just plug it in and leave it there. If you want to move the power cord just put it inside a bag and carry it with you, you can't do that with a house.

But if you get a trailer home you can just hook it up and drive it off whereever you want. Plus you will have more money leftover for tweaks by not buying the mansion.

Sep 15, 2007 at 3:09 AM Post #20 of 58
Pfft that's nothing Neilvg has a virtual dynamics genesis power cord that retails for 8k. I'm sure there is even more expensive out there.. probably ~20k power cords if not more.

Sep 15, 2007 at 5:04 AM Post #22 of 58
Quote:

Originally Posted by rxc /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Oh lord, leave the cables buy some food.

A self proclaimed lifelong bachelor brings home his date. She asks for a glass of water and he tells her there's a pitcher in the fridge.
Upon opening the fridge, she sees only 3 items. A picture of water, a bag of potatoes, and an open box of Arm and Hammer baking soda.
When she asks what the baking soda is for, he replies, "You wouldn't want your water tasting like potatoes, would you"
icon10.gif

For you young folks, back in the day, people used to use baking soda in the fridge, because it absorbs all of the various odors before they had self-defrosting units.

I know a couple of my Audiocircles wealthy friends have tens of thousands of dollars invested in PC's and IC's (especially those with dedicated Home Theater rooms with really long runs). It's a perspective thing.
If you have a $15K Quallia projector and a $5K 150" screen. Reimyo stack and Halcro amps for every one of the 6 channels of Wilson Alexandria and Maxx 2 and Watchdog speakers. 30' of Nordost IC's.

If you have it, and "there's lots more where that came from" money, then it fits the mold. OTOH, using a $8K PC with a $800 CDP is downright silly.

But none of this should make you feel poor. Not having people to love and people loving you makes you poor, and Towert7, you have a loving family, and that is true wealth!

Sep 15, 2007 at 5:22 AM Post #23 of 58
Do they cure Rheumatism if you rub em on your self? Cause it sounds like Snake oil to me.

Sep 15, 2007 at 5:53 AM Post #25 of 58
Can you really condemn a person who takes advantage of those who let themselves get easily taken advantage of?

Good old buyer beware, and the days of the smart consumer aren't around anymore.

Sep 16, 2007 at 12:54 PM Post #28 of 58
Quote:

Originally Posted by immtbiker /img/forum/go_quote.gif
A self proclaimed lifelong bachelor brings home his date. She asks for a glass of water and he tells her there's a pitcher in the fridge.

<snip...>

He should get the drink for his date. What a doof...

Sep 16, 2007 at 12:55 PM Post #29 of 58
Quote:

Originally Posted by LawnGnome /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Can you really condemn a person who takes advantage of those who let themselves get easily taken advantage of?

<snip...>

Yes.

Sep 16, 2007 at 1:45 PM Post #30 of 58
As long you have fun listening to the music, money isn't into the equation.
No matter what the quality of the sound is.

Instruments cannot measure how happy somebody can be to hear his favourite song or bring back certain memories when he/she is hearing music or a specific song/cd!

Thank god happyness isn't always measured in money or how much equipment you have!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back