You Know You're an Audiophile When.. Version 2!
Jan 2, 2015 at 6:22 PM Post #3,706 of 6,112
I have like a 2005 Dell desktop computer that I put windows 7 on (win7>winXP) that I use for music. I use my Asus ROG G750 for like everything else. But I would like to create some type of "music server" in my in home WiFi so u can have access to my music to my music no matter what device I'm on... Is this possible?

I was looking at the Raspberry Pi a few months back and came across a guide to do exactly that, but on, obviously Raspberry Pi. I'll try to find it, but I'm pretty sure it was on some obscure forum somewhere. 

Jan 2, 2015 at 6:25 PM Post #3,707 of 6,112
  YKYAAW you're concerned about CD rot

Just heard about this, what is it and is there any way to decrease the speed of it happening? I have a few CDs that are probably 15-20+ years old

Rip 'em to lossless, back 'em up. if you really feel the need for a physical disc, you can burn a replacement if your original disc rots beyond useability.

Jan 2, 2015 at 6:29 PM Post #3,708 of 6,112
  A 13.3" laptop is what I need... But maybe with a little more than 512MB of RAM 
biggrin.gif
 I think my PC has similar specs, and retailed for about half that back in 2005. I bought it for $15 about 7 months ago, and I only use it for my music management. I use my Chromebook for everything else, but because I'm going into programming, I need something that runs Java (that and World of Warcraft).

YKYAAW you have a computer only for managing music

At least it has a 1.7 GHz processor. =D I think upgrades can be performed manually. Anyway, I'm not expecting anyone in this thread to buy it, but I'll provide links to the sale threads for it and some of my other stuff soon.

I have like a 2005 Dell desktop computer that I put windows 7 on (win7>winXP) that I use for music. I use my Asus ROG G750 for like everything else. But I would like to create some type of "music server" in my in home WiFi so u can have access to my music to my music no matter what device I'm on... Is this possible?

https://www.dbpoweramp.com/asset-upnp-dlna.htm

Well. Technically the best way to preserve it would be to like put it in a tempurature controlled airtight environment XD. But basically keeping it from hot and cold environments, not playing it, etc.

The best way to preserve it would be to rip it to lossless. =P

Jan 2, 2015 at 8:25 PM Post #3,712 of 6,112
E17k alpen 2 is here!

Jan 3, 2015 at 9:45 AM Post #3,717 of 6,112
Ykyaaw you go to a music store and 3 people ask you for help thinking you work there

I used to get that when I visited the sheet music department of Foyle's in London, basically because in the bad old days, the actual staff were utterly hopeless. Being there on business, I was the only person there who looked like I knew what I was doing. Mainly because that was actually the case. 

The shop is so much better overall these days, thankfully, especially the music department.

Jan 3, 2015 at 3:03 PM Post #3,718 of 6,112
I used to get that when I visited the sheet music department of Foyle's in London, basically because in the bad old days, the actual staff were utterly hopeless. Being there on business, I was the only person there who looked like I knew what I was doing. Mainly because that was actually the case. 

The shop is so much better overall these days, thankfully, especially the music department.

Why did you wear the store's uniform?!

It's amazing what good clothes and good posture will do for people's impression of you. You look like you know what's going on and people will assume you do

Users who are viewing this thread

Back