You Know You're an Audiophile When.. Version 2!
Oct 3, 2013 at 11:33 AM Post #991 of 6,113
Indeed! Attended to a picnic last month... Opposite out camp is a school event for kindergarden students. I was blown away by that farting sound! And it lasted for 2-3hours in the morning D:

Reaction:
I guess that kids have to learn that good audio has to be earned. 
or
Poor kids...

Oct 3, 2013 at 2:38 PM Post #994 of 6,113
  Or maybe it's just aliasing from really low bitrates? i.e. listen to a 128 kbps file and it sounds "pixelated" to me. It sounds so bad that you can't recognise most of the music.

No it's most probably from clipping of turning up the bass knob too high.

Oct 3, 2013 at 4:28 PM Post #995 of 6,113
  Or maybe it's just aliasing from really low bitrates? i.e. listen to a 128 kbps file and it sounds "pixelated" to me. It sounds so bad that you can't recognise most of the music.

"Farting?" No, it's distortion from the speaker drivers because they are being driven beyond their physical capabilities. And 128 kbps shouldn't sound bad at all - depending on the type of music, the audible difference is subtle at best. Maybe something was wrong with the file. Have you tried the http://mp3ornot.com/ test?

Oct 3, 2013 at 7:31 PM Post #997 of 6,113
Reaction:

I guess that kids have to learn that good audio has to be earned. 

or

Poor kids...

lol yep, destroy their hearing while they're still young

I feel sad as well :frowning2: about that. When they dismiss all the students and the parents, they finally turned off the speaker and their PSY Oppa Gangnam Style. I felt relief! I can finally hear the beach's natural sound xD even my friends and teachers find it annoying!

Oct 3, 2013 at 8:56 PM Post #999 of 6,113
  Right. I just listed an arbitrary low bitrate that audiophools would frown upon.

107?
confused.gif

A year or so ago I downloaded a song that was very difficult to find, and I was wondering why it sounded so horrible. I recently checked the bitrate and it was 64 kbps lol

Oct 3, 2013 at 9:08 PM Post #1,001 of 6,113
Yep it makes me sad when I look at my families itunes library and see that most of it is 128kbps and that they PAID for that low quality.

Something that I questioned myself a lot sometimes! Why some online store sells music at 128kbps for $0.99/song I did rather get pirated download if that's the case... Have ever seen FLAC download for free...

Oct 3, 2013 at 11:44 PM Post #1,004 of 6,113

Cheap HP's and cheap MP3 players + audio ignorance = majority of music buyers.

I have tried convincing by friends to go for ALAC/FLAC instead of MP3 since they are paying for it anyway but the downloading here is a pain to them [<200kb/s] and it takes too much memory to them... 

as for mp3 player, they all do have decent dap. I have a friend who uses her Sansa when she's out and about... One with Note 1... 

Oct 4, 2013 at 12:26 AM Post #1,005 of 6,113

Right. I just listed an arbitrary low bitrate that audiophools would frown upon.

107?
confused.gif

A year or so ago I downloaded a song that was very difficult to find, and I was wondering why it sounded so horrible. I recently checked the bitrate and it was 64 kbps lol

I have no idea why it was that low. I used XLD to make a [320 kbps targeted] AAC file and it spat that out. It's not like 107 kbps VBR would make much of a difference for this song anyway.

Top is FLAC, bottom is 107 kbps VBR AAC.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back