You know what the "emo" style is?
May 8, 2005 at 9:13 PM Post #17 of 64
Looks like just another 'youth style' among thousands come and gone... the look reminds me a bit of anime (life imitates art) and a bit of 'sad computer geek with no life' thrown in, among other things. Like everything else these days, a mishmash of rehashed and re-rehashed and re-re-rehashed styles of yesteryear. As far as I can tell, absolutely as mainstream as it comes.
Quote:

Sings about being a troubled upper middle class white youth...

Nothing new there either, been going on a long time in plenty of genres. Fwiw, there are a lot of genuinely troubled upper middle class white youth. People who equate financial security and privilege with happiness tend to miss the point.

May 8, 2005 at 9:34 PM Post #18 of 64
home forum thread "gun for emo kids"

read that^^ its where i got this pictar:

weird-revolver.jpg

May 8, 2005 at 10:39 PM Post #21 of 64
Bln,

I see one handsome looking half chinese guy, and a wanker kid who dyes his hair.

I see the classic asian mullet and a failed flock of seagulls look.

I see a 18 year old with too much time on his hands, and a 28 year old with not enough sun!

I didn't know emo boys wore armani too?
biggrin.gif

May 8, 2005 at 10:46 PM Post #22 of 64
Quote:

Originally Posted by fewtch

Nothing new there either, been going on a long time in plenty of genres. Fwiw, there are a lot of genuinely troubled upper middle class white youth. People who equate financial security and privilege with happiness tend to miss the point.

I'm not equating financial security and privilege with happiness, i'm talking about a boring, uninteresting musical movement that involves financially secure kids who have depression problems and whatever else and all they can muster is some haphazard crappy acoustic songs that channel sylvia plath and arlo guthrie at the same time.

I mean, Bob could talk about all this stuff but he didn't write songs that were as introverted and self-consuming as emo. You listen to Elliot Smith and you think Portland, Ore is the entire freakin world.

if you are a genuinely troubled upper middle class white youth and you want to be a musician, try to put some effort into it!

May 8, 2005 at 11:22 PM Post #23 of 64
Quote:

Originally Posted by sleepkyng
if you are a genuinely troubled upper middle class white youth and you want to be a musician, try to put some effort into it!

but im the only upper middle class white kid who has ever had a girlfriend cheat on him and im going to sing about it. i have never expended effort on anything, my parents buy it. now buy my album.

May 9, 2005 at 12:32 AM Post #25 of 64
I think theres too many new emo bands coming out, you can't even remember half their names anymore. However, I find some of them are pretty good, (Dashboard Confessionals, Something Corporate).

May 9, 2005 at 3:08 AM Post #30 of 64
Sorry, but this whole "movement", if that's what you call it, does seem highly derived from existing punk/rock ideas and fashions. To use a classic David Spade line, "I think I liked it better the first time I saw it, when it was called grunge."

Honestly, ripped jeans, old people clothes, tshirts with wacky slogans, chuck taylors, long shaggy hair for guys, overload on teen angst....yeah, sounds like early '90s grunge scene to me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back