You know what the "emo" style is?
May 11, 2005 at 12:02 AM Post #46 of 64
Quote:

Originally Posted by SouthPaW1227
Hmm...reading through some of this is quite amusing.

"Emo" as a style (there's the 1st problem...it used to be a style of music, rooting from "emotional") of wear had bled over a lot of lines. The kings of emo are probably Bright Eyes & Rites of Spring.

These days, however, the typical "tight shirt, black spiked hair, converse" kids aren't likely to be that kind of emo. If you've ever heard Bright Eyes, most of his songs are rather soft, easy listening. These days, the kids in tight shirts (mostly of bands), female jeans (this is a big one...guys wearing girl pants), white studded belts (likely not buckled in front), converse shoes, and messenger bands loaded w/ buttons and patches are into the "rock emo" scene.

Note, piercings aren't required for emo. Chains and studs ARE NOT emo. It's a bleed over from trash/metal. Bands like Thrice (cross-genre) help encourage this bleed.

This "rock emo" scene, as I call it, consists of bands like the following:

Taking Back Sunday
Thursday
Thrice
Jimmy Eat World
Matchbook Romance
My Chemical Romance
Story of the Year
Underoath
The Academy Is...
A.F.I.
Brand New
Sparta
Dead Poetic
etc.

I guess I'd know all this b/c I fit right in...I dig it b/c it's still relaitvely underground, and a lot of the people that dig this kind of music actually enjoy MUSIC and the technicalities behind it. This day in age it's way past the "i hate my life kill me now" mentality. No emo kids I know think this way. Sure, we see the negative sides of tings more readily, but that's just because we aren't stupidly optomistic. Ah well, the bottom line is that it's impossible to define a genre, let alone a style.

AFI is definatly punk, and in no way emo. Underoath has unfortunatly switched to more of an emo style, their old music from the original CD was much better. By the way, I have never seen anyone actually dressed as described besides the people in some of these emo bands. Most of the genre is crap, but there are some bands who stand out more than others and actually sound good. Thrice is pretty good, though, and i kind of like My Chemical Romance.

May 11, 2005 at 2:34 AM Post #47 of 64
Quote:

Originally Posted by Beach123456
AFI is definatly punk, and in no way emo. Underoath has unfortunatly switched to more of an emo style, their old music from the original CD was much better. By the way, I have never seen anyone actually dressed as described besides the people in some of these emo bands. Most of the genre is crap, but there are some bands who stand out more than others and actually sound good. Thrice is pretty good, though, and i kind of like My Chemical Romance.

UnderOath used to be a black metal band, just a btw. Switchfoot is more alternative than anything else, just listen to their older cds & Dead Poetic is awesome, their cd "four wall blackmail" sounds completely different than "new medicines" does.

May 11, 2005 at 9:14 PM Post #48 of 64
It wasnt complete black metal, the type they used to play is hardcore. Its a annoying name for a genre, but i like the music. Not as heavy or as death like as death metal, the lyrics also have less to do with death. I dont know if hardcore is a subgenre of blackmetal though.

May 11, 2005 at 10:33 PM Post #49 of 64
hardcore is a subgenre of punk, or so I believe.

silverstein, emery, a thorn for every heart, bleed the dream are bands that I would categorize as emo.

silverstein is a great band, probably the best emocore band I've heard.

May 11, 2005 at 11:50 PM Post #50 of 64
Quote:

Originally Posted by Beach123456
It wasnt complete black metal, the type they used to play is hardcore. Its a annoying name for a genre, but i like the music. Not as heavy or as death like as death metal, the lyrics also have less to do with death. I dont know if hardcore is a subgenre of blackmetal though.

I haven't heard Cries of the Past, so I can't talk about it, but I do remember a lot of people saying it was black metal...anyway, hardcore is a good form of punk and metalcore is hardcore with metal mixed in.

May 12, 2005 at 4:37 AM Post #51 of 64
Quote:

Originally Posted by Erik S.
hardcore is a subgenre of punk, or so I believe.

silverstein, emery, a thorn for every heart, bleed the dream are bands that I would categorize as emo.

silverstein is a great band, probably the best emocore band I've heard.

Hardcore is the mix of trash and speed metal with punk. Think about bands like Discharge, Agnostic Front, Hirax and Ludichrist for example. After all, metal and punk always crosspolinate.

May 12, 2005 at 6:18 PM Post #52 of 64
Emo, at lest in my school, is annoying and easily distinguished from goth/metalheads

goths(stoners usually) wear stoner socks (black/red knee socks) along with rather spikey/shiney pants (i guess they would be baggy capri's, they come down to mid shin and are cavered in chrome spikes/studs/chains. these kids usually wear very large jackets (like military feild jackets) and a dark hoodie underneath (so only the hood sticks up) also note that their skin is usually rather pale

Metalheads i find often mingle with the stoner's. they tend to have cheap headphones on and blasting music. baggy jeans with cut knees is stylish and usually one or more chains hanging from various pockets. Leather wrist bands are also popular. they often have long greay hair and wear beanies/knit caps/scullcaps and baggy, ragged hoodies with band names

Emo kids are loud and always whining, they alwasy want everyone to know how bad their life is (at least the stoners and goths stray away, these people are annoying) short hair, spiked, akward hair styles with lots of colors. faded/tight jeans often designed for the opposite gender. tight shirts (lots of times a short sleeved collared shirt will be work under another t-shirt) t-shirts are usually faded with seemingly random logo's

as far as emo music goes... from what ive heard whoever said "screamo" earlier in this thread was absolutely right! they wine and scream about their girlfriend problems, ect. when i think emo music the band good charlette comes straight to mind.

hope this helps, its what its like in my school

Metalheads

Jul 11, 2005 at 12:36 PM Post #53 of 64
144315761_l.jpg

oye!

Jul 11, 2005 at 1:03 PM Post #54 of 64
I'd say they fall somewhere in between emo and goth. What's that? There's a term for that, you say? Right... mallrat. These are the people who are so confused and pathetic, they're not really sure what they are. However, they're fairly certain (for now) that if they wear a mixture of the outsider groups clothing choices, and listen to the music most being decried by parents, (almost always Slipknot or Manson) they'll piss off enough people to feel accepted. Nevermind the fact they buy into the very corporate schpeel they think they're rebelling against. It's just called Hot Topic instead of A&F.

/hates mallrats

Jul 11, 2005 at 2:45 PM Post #57 of 64
Quote:

Originally Posted by SouthPaW1227
Hmm...reading through some of this is quite amusing.

"Emo" as a style (there's the 1st problem...it used to be a style of music, rooting from "emotional") of wear had bled over a lot of lines. The kings of emo are probably Bright Eyes & Rites of Spring.

These days, however, the typical "tight shirt, black spiked hair, converse" kids aren't likely to be that kind of emo. If you've ever heard Bright Eyes, most of his songs are rather soft, easy listening. These days, the kids in tight shirts (mostly of bands), female jeans (this is a big one...guys wearing girl pants), white studded belts (likely not buckled in front), converse shoes, and messenger bands loaded w/ buttons and patches are into the "rock emo" scene.

Note, piercings aren't required for emo. Chains and studs ARE NOT emo. It's a bleed over from trash/metal. Bands like Thrice (cross-genre) help encourage this bleed.

This "rock emo" scene, as I call it, consists of bands like the following:

Taking Back Sunday
Thursday
Thrice
Jimmy Eat World
Matchbook Romance
My Chemical Romance
Story of the Year
Underoath
The Academy Is...
A.F.I.
Brand New
Sparta
Dead Poetic
etc.

I guess I'd know all this b/c I fit right in...I dig it b/c it's still relaitvely underground, and a lot of the people that dig this kind of music actually enjoy MUSIC and the technicalities behind it. This day in age it's way past the "i hate my life kill me now" mentality. No emo kids I know think this way. Sure, we see the negative sides of tings more readily, but that's just because we aren't stupidly optomistic. Ah well, the bottom line is that it's impossible to define a genre, let alone a style.

LOL actually I wouldn't call it rock-emo...I'd call it screamo. Why? Cause alot of those bands have a dude screaming lyrics ie. Thursday. Actually I like Thursday and have met them in person once. It's weird cause the lead singer is very emo (or seems to be) but the rest of the band looks like normal beer drinking rockers lol.
Just my 2 cents...in fact...just ignore this post

Jul 11, 2005 at 3:02 PM Post #59 of 64
Billy,

Having just graduated from a Chicago-suburb high school, I know exactly what you're talking about. These kids were the rats of the school. I think they're motivated to dress and act like this so that they feel other kids who don't fit in to a conventional style will accept them. Honestly, it's really annoying. Have you seen them walking around downtown yet? They look ridiculous. I hope none of them ever walk in to a bad neighborhood looking like that.
[size=xx-small]
Edit:[/size] I forgot to add that all of the kids who were "emo" were in good financial standing and could be classified as upper-middle class.

Jul 11, 2005 at 4:41 PM Post #60 of 64
Quote:

Originally Posted by Hajime
Billy,

Having just graduated from a Chicago-suburb high school, I know exactly what you're talking about. These kids were the rats of the school. I think they're motivated to dress and act like this so that they feel other kids who don't fit in to a conventional style will accept them. Honestly, it's really annoying. Have you seen them walking around downtown yet? They look ridiculous. I hope none of them ever walk in to a bad neighborhood looking like that.
[size=xx-small]
Edit:[/size] I forgot to add that all of the kids who were "emo" were in good financial standing and could be classified as upper-middle class.

where the hell have you been lately?????????
I havent read a post from you in god knows how long..

hey man! whats up?

lol

Users who are viewing this thread

Back