You have to be kidding me!
Jul 1, 2007 at 4:59 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 27

phaseshift

100+ Head-Fier
Just bought an iPhone only to find out that this thing won't except my etymotic ER-6 headphones or my Ultimate Ears Pro 5's. This is very disappointing! I have $450.00 worth of headphones I can't use with my state of the art iPhone! This thing is going back!

Jul 1, 2007 at 6:37 AM Post #4 of 27
you're just jealous because it's not in AU
wink.gif
j/k...

but seriously. its a $9 adaptor. compared to a $600 phone and $450 in headphones, if you're balking at that, you have issues. I'll agree it would be "nice" if it "fit" normal headphones but seeing as how THIN the device is, there are structural concerns - aka look how many people tweak and break headphone / line out plugs on laptops - the adaptors are machined and molded so they nest in the recess and add structural stability - even the $9 Belkin one does this, and is flexible (despite it looking like solid plastic, its quite well made / impressive for what it is).

get over it / or don't buy one / I don't care, I'm not a share holder lol, but I am quite happy with my phone and its audio output... sounds great on my UE5s

Jul 1, 2007 at 8:37 AM Post #6 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by phaseshift /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Just bought an iPhone only to find out that this thing won't except my etymotic ER-6 headphones or my Ultimate Ears Pro 5's. This is very disappointing! I have $450.00 worth of headphones I can't use with my state of the art iPhone! This thing is going back!

Don't bring it back -- just sell it to me.

Jul 1, 2007 at 9:25 AM Post #7 of 27
Because it's only a $9 adapter Apple should throw it in.

Australia won't get them for another year and here's the first view on pricing:
Pricing for the phones is not set for Australia, but Apple US said they would cost $US499 ($A639) for a 4GB version and $US599 ($A767) for an 8GB version.

Australia is a technology backwater - or just an irrelevant market to Apple.

Jul 1, 2007 at 2:45 PM Post #8 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by fordgtlover /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Because it's only a $9 adapter Apple should throw it in.

why? only 1 out of every 1000 users (if that) will need it... hardly makes sense to "throw it in" from a business model standpoint...

Jul 1, 2007 at 3:29 PM Post #10 of 27
Get the newest technology, pay premium prices and whine about needing an adapter that costs 1.5% of the new piece of equipment...whatever.

Jul 1, 2007 at 3:40 PM Post #12 of 27
They really could have designed the plug flush with the outside of the phone so you wouldn't need the adapter... but where's the money in that?

Also, I bet you could whittle down the plastic/rubber on the end of the earphone connection to make it fit in there, but this might void warranties or make for funky earphone connectors.

Update: Oh hey, and here's the next thread I looked at with pictures of exactly what I'm talking about: http://www.head-fi.org/forums/showthread.php?t=248477

Jul 1, 2007 at 3:58 PM Post #13 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by tbonner1 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Apple wants to sell people proprietery accessories.

no they don't. if you google the problem you'll find a statement by apple explaining that they did this for durability.

the "proprietary" accessory isn't even made by apple, do you need a dictionary to understand what the word means?

apple has always been great at not making their products rely on proprietary hardware, and the stuff that is, is done right. i mean, they're still using the same ipod connection which made my transition to the iphone great since i already have firewire cables, chargers, docks, ect....

Jul 1, 2007 at 4:21 PM Post #14 of 27
My LG cell phone needs an adapter too... So, I dont think its really fair to bash the iPhone alone. It used to annoy me, but after a while I got over it. Now the convenience of having an MP3 player, movie/media player combined with a cell phone outweighs the inconvenience of having the adapter. Give it time, they will make adapter cables a dime/dozen out of china / asia. Hopefully they will make the adapters with a mic, so you can use it as a hands free device with your IEMs. So if you get the right adapter it can actually be an advantage. Thats what I've done...

I dont think this alone is reason enough to return it. Yeah you'll have to live with iBuds for a while, and as terrible as that is... you'll get over it.

Jul 1, 2007 at 6:44 PM Post #15 of 27
Hilarious.

Even funnier to see the podophiles get all defensive and protect their holy Apple.
If Microsoft put out a music phone and it had a flaw like that they would stinking CRUCIFY it (just do a search for "Zune" at iLounge).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back