You guys HAVE to read these reviews...
Aug 19, 2002 at 10:33 PM Post #31 of 101
I found their movie reviews to be an excellent barometer of what I like to watch.

I found that if you watch the ones with the highest ratings such as Natural Born Killers and South Park you will have a very good time. Great site saves alot of time weeding out the crap.

Aug 19, 2002 at 11:20 PM Post #33 of 101
Quote:

Originally posted by grinch
or.. it's the fact that i don't need to write four or five posts about how hysterically i am laughing at something that really isn't all that funny.

i assure you that i don't lack a sense of humor, i just apparently have a much more intelligent one than your's.

An intelligent sense of humor? yeah...that makes sense...do me and everyone else a favor, avoid threads that involve humor, you really know how to piss on a parade.

grinch..no wonder why you chose that name.

Aug 19, 2002 at 11:57 PM Post #34 of 101
Come on, stop flaming the guy. Everyone has a different sense of humor - for example, some people like Tom Green, or my mom finds Monty Python "dark and ugly".

Now, where were we?

Aug 20, 2002 at 1:04 AM Post #36 of 101
You know, Head-Fi really should have thread review and ratings forum stickies, along the lines of these 2 web sites we've been discussing, to help people avoid the postings that corrupt people. I'll volunteer to be the reviewer and ratings assigner, because I know that I have the true perspective on things. Why, if only someone had warned me earlier about the pitfalls of using closed phones when open ones will do, then I wouldn't be stuck with these Pioneer 10R's that no one wants to buy...

Aug 20, 2002 at 4:16 AM Post #37 of 101
hmmm...

I'm not one to paraphrase the bible or spew any kind of devotional bs at any time during any day of any year... But I can surely recognize these peoples attempt at achieving a better moral upbringing for their children. Whats so wrong about keeping kids away from things that may be disturbing or harmful even? Why dont you just have sex in front of your kids, bring them to all the big executions, take them to murder scenes, have them watch people shoot up on heroin. Cmon, thats what growing up is all about.... NOT.

Aug 20, 2002 at 4:54 AM Post #38 of 101
Quote:

Originally posted by grinch

i just apparently have a much more intelligent one than your's.

there is a difference between intelligence and insolence

Aug 20, 2002 at 9:04 AM Post #39 of 101
Quote:

Summary/Advisory: Born Marshall Mathers, this white rapper from Detroit muses, "I guess I'm just a sick, sick person one sandwich short of a picnic basket" ("Cum on Everybody"). Wrong. He's short two sandwiches, chips, a thermos, plastic-ware-and the basket. Avoid The Slim Shady LP at all costs.

LMAO!!! That site is amazing

Aug 20, 2002 at 2:26 PM Post #40 of 101
Quote:

Originally posted by Ebonyks

Summary/Advisory: Born Marshall Mathers, this white rapper from Detroit muses, "I guess I'm just a sick, sick person one sandwich short of a picnic basket" ("Cum on Everybody"). Wrong. He's short two sandwiches, chips, a thermos, plastic-ware-and the basket. Avoid The Slim Shady LP at all costs.

Well, I guess sometimes they ARE right on the money!
biggrin.gif

Aug 20, 2002 at 5:56 PM Post #41 of 101
Quote:

Originally posted by ai0tron
hmmm...

I'm not one to paraphrase the bible or spew any kind of devotional bs at any time during any day of any year... But I can surely recognize these peoples attempt at achieving a better moral upbringing for their children. Whats so wrong about keeping kids away from things that may be disturbing or harmful even? Why dont you just have sex in front of your kids, bring them to all the big executions, take them to murder scenes, have them watch people shoot up on heroin. Cmon, thats what growing up is all about.... NOT.

Well put ai0tron. I also am a Christian, and would even consider myself a "fundamentalist". The problem with organizations like this however is that while it's true they are trying to give parents a guideline for raising morally responsible children, they fail to realize that if Christianity is the true path to God, you can't push and shove anyone into it. Unless these things are done by the individual's choice, they are usless!

"But avoid foolish controversies and genealogies and strife and disputes about the Law, for they are unprofitable and worthless"
Titus 3:9

Each person has to find his own way or their religion is meaningless!

just .02 from 2

Oh yeah, and I think I have a pretty good sense of humor!

This is funny www.mchawking.com

flame away!

Aug 20, 2002 at 6:35 PM Post #42 of 101
aiotron: Interesting point, and I agree that stuff like Eminem is just pointless stuff and should be listed in these kinds of pages. But you have to consider that they also rate stuff that's not nearly as bad as that, and "concerned parents" will err on the conservative side and nix stuff that isn't so bad - with the end result that the kids are exposed only to "happy upbeat disneyfied Jerry Falwell-certified" entertainment, which CAN'T be good for them.

Aug 20, 2002 at 6:59 PM Post #43 of 101
i think you've gotta be REALLY sheltered to not know eminem is inappropriate garbage... think of the media attention? it being listed on a website seems fairly pointless.

personally i think that if you're doing a good job raising you're kids, they can make their own decitions about what's right. my only deal is that sometimes religion itself is the brainwashing that these people fear comes from the marshall mathers lp and south park the movie (which was pure satirical genius, btw) and so people are inclined to shove everything down your throat along with the religion itself, just like it was done to them by their parents... you can't deny it really, just look at this middle east business. if i grew up like that i'd want to kill americans too.

wow now i'm getting even more general
evil_smiley.gif
i want to throw it out there that i have a sometimes insensitive way of stating my opinions that rubs some people the wrong way, and i want you all to know that i love you all. don't hate me 2 channel. this stuff just freaks me out sometimes. makes life more interesting though, no?

Aug 20, 2002 at 7:23 PM Post #44 of 101
Quote:

don't hate me 2 channel. this stuff just freaks me out sometimes. makes life more interesting though, no? [/B]

No worries! I think we are actually making the same point! Believe me, notheing gets under my skin more than what I call "fire breathing" Christians. That's not how we are suppose to do it!

Aug 20, 2002 at 10:06 PM Post #45 of 101
Quote:

Originally posted by gloco

back on topic, i think that family.org site is absolutely insane and i feel bad that there's kids out there being raised with parents who follow that site and other parental guides that are as strongent as that one.

Howdy, another Christian here, and usually I don't get involved in threads like this, because any arguments or mocking on the subject won't convince anyone of anything. However, I have to take a strong exception to something you said about kids being raised by parents who follow a lot of the principles that Focus on the Family lays out.

As someone who is going to be a father for the first time in a few months, and is also a Christian, this hits pretty close to home. I've seen kids in my church raised many different ways over the past 8-10 years, everything from families who raise their kids following a lot of what Dobson and his staff say over at FotF, and some who pretty much buy their kids whatever they want, and let them do or listen to or watch whatever they want. Guess which kids have behavorial problems and discipline problems out the wazoo? I personally was raised (by Christian parents) to think for myself, question authority, and not just do something because I'm told, but to ask why.

While I don't agree with some of the stuff FotF espouses, I believe their underlying principles and motives are sound and Biblical. The thing I feel bad about are that there are parents out there who raise their kids with no principles, allowing them to do whatever they want, allow them to do whoever the want, listen to whatever they want, teach them that there are no absolutes, and that all morals and ethics are relative. I've seen the results of kids who were raised this way, and it typically isn't pretty.

I plan on trying to raise my children to think for themselves, and to love God like I do, but not just take things at face value. I won't shove my beliefs down their throats, but at the same time, until they are old enough to make their own informed decisions, they won't be listening to or watching whatever they want. I don't feel most R-rated movies are appropriate for any 12-13 year old kids, the same with some music.

I too have read the music and movie reviews on FotF's website over the last few years and laughed at times over some of the things they've written. I like to think I have a fairly well developed sense of humor. But on the other hand, I do plan on using their review site (and others) to judge what is and isn't appropriate for my children. It is nice to know if a movie is riddled with profanity or nudity before taking an adolescent to sit through it.

-Keith

Users who are viewing this thread

Back