You guys HAVE to read these reviews...
Aug 20, 2002 at 10:20 PM Post #46 of 101
Quote:

Originally posted by meithkiller

It is nice to know if a movie is riddled with profanity or nudity before taking an adolescent to sit through it.

-Keith

woah there you had me 'till the end. if this is still a problem by the time they're in adolescence (i'm thinking like 13-14) they might have a whole new set of problems in store for them... (although i understand why you wouldnt want to be there with him/her...) if i didn't start exploring the internet when i was 13 or so i might have exploded and become a rapist or something by now *blink* (verginity sucks) oookay too much info.

I think it's great that you want to take an active interest in the nuances of your childs upbringing, and i think that'll probably be enough by itself, since you sound like an upstanding guy.

I don't think i was raised with a whole lot of limits, at least by christian standards, (my dad went through this whole homework nazi phase that *trust me* only detracted from my performance and our relationship) and i'm a fairly successful EE student at UCLA now... so don't blame the limits so much as the actual degree that you're involved.

loose boundaries and neglect (or loose relationships) are 2 different things.

not that i know crap, but i think about this stuff a lot having been going through the transition from child->adult for the last couple years, and seeing what different approches have done to people i know. but it *is* relative and really a matter of preference, which is a decision only for you...

Aug 20, 2002 at 10:40 PM Post #47 of 101
Quote:

Originally posted by TaffyGuy

woah there you had me 'till the end. if this is still a problem by the time they're in adolescence (i'm thinking like 13-14) they might have a whole new set of problems in store for them... (although i understand why you wouldnt want to be there with him/her...) if i didn't start exploring the internet when i was 13 or so i might have exploded and become a rapist or something by now *blink* (verginity sucks) oookay too much info.

I think it's great that you want to take an active interest in the nuances of your childs upbringing, and i think that'll probably be enough by itself, since you sound like an upstanding guy.

I was thinking more along the lines of 10-12 years old, and at that age, I'd feel that some PG-13 movies would be ok, some wouldn't. I guess some people might feel that I led a sheltered life. We didn't have a tv in our house until I was 10 years old, and I didn't see my first R rated movie until I was 16 (Terminator). Now granted, any child going to a public school (and even most Christian schools) will be exposed to profanity at an early age, and the same with nudity on the internet, but IMHO intentially taking children to see the same stuff on a big screen in the theater, or buying them an objectionable CD glorifies the behavior, and that is something I'd rather not do.

-Keith

Aug 20, 2002 at 10:58 PM Post #48 of 101
Yeah my good friend from kidnergarden through UCLA had the same sort of movie tv thing... i remember when he turned 17 his parents (mother) alloted him a quota of 3 R rated movies he could watch that year... of course thats the legal age to buy tix...

and we're the only 2 tall, white, moderately good lookin' guys who have unintentionally kept an extreme amount of verginity (there i go again) through all these years... probably some sort of fear of women or something... its easier to see it in him than me (i personally blame luck and timing) but hey, if you're christian than that probably sounds great to you, heh. and he did turn out super nice and very well mannered. the whole life experience thing would be a nice addition though. i personally think it's rather enriching and adds a lot of personality.

but on the whole i think we're on somewhat of the same page. or at least not radically opposed to eachothers views, and thats good enough for me!!

hey before we all know it this thread is gunna push me over 100 posts... wow has work been slow the last month.

Aug 20, 2002 at 11:13 PM Post #49 of 101
The rating systems for movies and tv are screwed...trust me...

Sure, R rated movies can show the worst examples to children, but they also often times teach the better lessons that are impossible to do well in, lets say, a G movie. It depends entirely on the movie and child, and if the child can handle such lessons.

The "rating" system is almost pointless in my opinion...We see R rated material every moment in our lives, I dont see how keeping me from seeing said R movie will have a positive impact on me...And there are movies that give awful lessons in every catagory of that scale, for its the underlying theme that comes into play here.

Aug 21, 2002 at 1:47 AM Post #50 of 101
don't let me get started on religion; i have a lot of views that i won't say because i don't want to offend anyone (i am not religious, and although i don't believe in any religion, that's not to say i don't have respect for the religious).

here's an extreme case of overprotecting the young:

a guy i work with, at age 12 (around grade 7?) didn't know where babies came from. his parents had him convinced that you pray for a baby, and soon a stork would bring it (i kid you not!). this guy wasn't allowed to watch TV (not necessarily bad), and was brought up by his parents to be completely naive.

and this, found on the site that was the initial topic of this thread, seems to me to go more than a little too far:

Quote:

on U2's All That You Can't Leave Behind
Objectionable Content: That same song also gives a nod to Darwinian evolution ("In the days when we were swinging from the trees/I was a monkey").

what i don't like about that statement is the implication that the theory of evolution is fundamentally wrong and that children shouldn't be exposed to anything other than the ideals of christianity.

that's as much as i'm going to say on this. oh yeah, i did, however have a good laugh when i read some of these articles.

peace.

Aug 21, 2002 at 2:35 AM Post #51 of 101
Quote:

Originally posted by chewmanji
here's an extreme case of overprotecting the young:

a guy i work with, at age 12 (around grade 7?) didn't know where babies came from. his parents had him convinced that you pray for a baby, and soon a stork would bring it (i kid you not!). this guy wasn't allowed to watch TV (not necessarily bad), and was brought up by his parents to be completely naive.

How is his disposition?

Aug 21, 2002 at 12:26 PM Post #52 of 101
Quote:

Originally posted by chewmanji

what i don't like about that statement is the implication that the theory of evolution is fundamentally wrong and that children shouldn't be exposed to anything other than the ideals of christianity.

I don't want to turn this into a creation vs evolution debate but, I think that that statement from the website is completely valid. The fact that they are "reviewing" content from a Biblical point of view does make the lyric objectionable.

and why is it ok for evolutionists to propose that the theory of creation is fundamentally wrong but it's never ok the other way around?

The fact is, creation or evolution, either one is a matter of faith/religion since there is absolutely no tangible evidence either way! I guess the religion of evolution is just more palitable for the masses b/c it doesn't step on any moral toes.

Aug 21, 2002 at 1:59 PM Post #53 of 101
I have a unique perspective here, because I'm only 16. From the beginning, my parents were always a bit more strict when it came to doing anything. I remember, back in the day,
tongue.gif
in elementary school, you'd always talk about how this movie looked great, or how cool jurassic park would be. I wasn't really allowed to see PG-13 movies until the lats few months of when I was 12. R movies were out of the question. While my classmates were seeing Striptease(well, you catch my drift), I saw movies with my family. I'm only now allowed to see R movies. Personally, I believe I'm a better person because my parents cared what I saw. Now, the one mistake? They didn't talk to me about sex at all. I'm sure, back in their day, you learned what sex was at the age of 18 or something
wink.gif
. Personally, I knew the concept in elementary school, but I had a lot of misconceptions about it. Giggling with friends about it during recess, etc. If my parents had talked to me about it to clear it all up, it would have been a bit better. But then, as I've grown, I hope I've also matured a bit mentally.
biggrin.gif

Aug 21, 2002 at 5:20 PM Post #55 of 101
andrzejpw

back in the day people married their daughters off at 16... that must have been a shocker. here's a sheet with a hole in it, get busy.

umm... ever seen a "person who finds evolution reasonable" try and hide the story of adam and eve from them? this country is built as christian; luckily it isn't enforced.

I just think that overall it's screwed up to purposely raise a kit narrow-minded. calling u2 objectionable is way over the top. protecting children is one thing, but that sounds more like communist china, and you don't want to be communist china, do you? do you?!? heil jesus. *dodges lightning bolt again* hopefully that was more meaningful than random blasphamy

by the way i'm not saying you can't tear apart darwin's theory's pretty well, but it's a freakin' step in the right direction. in 1950 when they made a computer that filled a whole room and loaded programs through notecards, would you toss it in the garbage because you couldn't surf the web on it?

oh man why would i ever try to make an argument in this situation. its pointless.

Aug 21, 2002 at 6:04 PM Post #56 of 101
Quote:

Originally posted by TaffyGuy

oh man why would i ever try to make an argument in this situation. its pointless. [/B]

Nearly fell into that trap myself,but deleted in time ...phew!

Setmenu

Aug 21, 2002 at 7:06 PM Post #59 of 101
Quote:

Originally posted by 2 channel
The fact that they are "reviewing" content from a Biblical point of view does make the lyric objectionable.

I agree with this statement -- if a parent doesn't want their child learning about evolution, then such lyrics are objectionable to them. Quote:

I don't want to turn this into a creation vs evolution debate (...) The fact is, creation or evolution, either one is a matter of faith/religion since there is absolutely no tangible evidence either way!

Uh, THAT statement couldn't be any more naive if you wanted it to be, and directly contradicts your earlier statement, about not wanting to turn this into a debate. There are mountains of research and evidence showing strong support for evolution, in fields as diverse as archaeology, ecology, zoology, taxonomy, genetics, farming, botany, and computer science. (The computer science experiments I'm thinking of are extremely interesting, but go way beyond the scope of this discussion.)

Note that I am a Christian. However, I have studied evolutionary theory both in college as a biology student and also as an adult simply interested in learning as much as possible. The evidence for evolution is strong; the arguments against evolution are weak, or involve pseudo-scientific nonsense, that can sound very convincing to someone without the scientific background to refute them. There are entire books of nonsense available to refute the evidence for evolution, none of which holds up to careful scrutiny. These counter-arguments are made by pseudo-scientists of questionable background (usually radical creatonists attempting to lend themselves scientific validity.) The validity of the evidence makes no difference to someone who really wants to believe evolution is wrong; any excuse or argument against it is simply accepted because it coincides with their belief systems.

This is really no place for an evolution vs. creationism debate, but I couldn't let the comment pass.

Aug 21, 2002 at 7:38 PM Post #60 of 101
Well said Russ.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back