you guys ever try cd players with headphones and had good results?
Jul 9, 2011 at 10:16 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

RexAeterna

Headphoneus Supremus
Cause either my akg 240 sexetts LP and 240DF's must be the most versatile headphones i ever used or the headphone circuit to the cd player must be darn good. each of my akgs are 600ohms.

i was helping my dad with his stereo and i brought my headphones to give the equipment a test to see if it functions since it's been sitting for God knows when. first thing is i blew off the dust and gave a cleaning to his large JVC cd player and since it had a 1/4'' jack in the front i decided to test it. i was not expecting much but when i started his CD of some 12 year old female singer(i can't believe i forgot her name) i was floored by how amazing the sound coming from it.

the clarity was top notch and i couldn't stop listening to it. i don't know the schematics of the unit and i never opened it up to take a look inside. it's pretty heavy for a cd player. i think i might pick myself up one cause i found the same JVC cd player at local goodwill for 5 bucks last week and should plan to hook it up in a quiet area and start listening to cd's more often(i only listen to my amps hooked up to my computer and occasionally my tape decks) if it's still there later on today.

wonder if anyone here had good luck as well with some cd players?

EDIT: lol,not allowed to say Dam* on the forums.

Jul 10, 2011 at 12:10 PM Post #2 of 8
I have a very old Philips cd player of which the headphone alsois  much better than you would expect.
I am using it when I am using the hometrainer now and it's much better then any mp3 player I have used.

Jul 10, 2011 at 2:17 PM Post #4 of 8
Yes, I once had a Marantz CD recorder that had a pretty good output.

Jul 12, 2011 at 4:59 PM Post #6 of 8
Marantz CD 5004 has a farily good headphone output.
And a older Yamaha CDP cdx450 player has a okay one.

Stand alone amps for some people might be considered better or much better although the possible improvements for some might not be worth it at all.
So the free amp inside that CD Player is a pretty good deal.

The headphone outputs in those the big standalone CD Players are way better than any mp3 player or those portable/handheld CD players like the walkman though.

These bigger CD Players though were more designed for speaker setups but some might just be using the CD Player and headphones so many have headphone outputs although some don't like NAD CDPs
But with speaker setups a lot more people probably use the speaker amp headphone out than the CD Player but maybe you don't want to be running 2 pieces of equipment if you don't have to.

Jul 12, 2011 at 5:12 PM Post #7 of 8
I consider it a plus when a CD-player has a headphone out. I prefer a CD-player with headphone out since it can also serve as a burn in station if the built in amplifier is well specified. 

If anything my CDX593 sounds too uneven from the headphone out but my old Philips sound very agreeable. I just cannot easily part with my Philips so I might get it checked up and upgraded from the inside (I love the functionality and the feel of the buttons.). If not that plan B is a new Marantz or Denon

Jul 13, 2011 at 5:12 AM Post #8 of 8
Yes, I use the headphone output off a Marantz SA8001 whenever it is too hot to run tubes. Not the best headphone amp I've heard, but plenty good. I can't really knock it, but it's not as special as the Zana Deux. Then again, at 110° F out, I don't really want to run the Zana.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back