you guys are sooo boring when listening to music :P
Jan 19, 2011 at 4:14 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 39

RexAeterna

Headphoneus Supremus
hey dooods, i mean seriously every time i see someone mention a pair of nice speakers or headphones they be like ''omg it sounds like i'm in the studio''

really? how boring. i thought music was suppose to be enjoyed with your upmost of imagination when experiencing music? music is about creative expression right?

i mean don't you ever imagine an instrument played somewhere else or gives you that feeling of outer world experience? like every time i listen to Yuki kajiura- Morning moon and when that lovely violin kicks in i just can imagine a beautiful japanese girl in starting of spring where the cherry blossoms are starting to bloom playing in middle of an open field,gentle breeze passing and can see the lovely frequencies of the violin gracefully flow with the wind under a calm sunrise.

don't you ever use your imagination? it seems like lot of people around here are supposedly muscians and so forth and have experience with music but i never see anyone here ever express any sign of creativity when it comes to perceptive music listening.  

Jan 19, 2011 at 4:27 PM Post #2 of 39
No, I'd much rather picture that I'm there than try to concoct a bizarre fantasy. Different strokes for different folks, I suppose.

Jan 19, 2011 at 4:31 PM Post #3 of 39
Maybe their desire is to feel like they're in their studio, or it's the first comparison that comes to mind? You seem to lack imagination if you believe your way is the only one that isn't "boring". I sometimes picture myself dancing with a giant yellow teddy bear to Anna Nalick's "Shine" while sitting on the toilet, but many others seem to prefer to read. No biggie. 

Jan 19, 2011 at 4:39 PM Post #4 of 39
no, that's fine and everything. i know picturing self in a studio or concert hall can be amazing but i was just curious do anyone here use there imagination at all besides just a studio. i'm not bashing anyone or disagreeing (i'm not very good with words). wondering if people's imagination tank went empty or something.

Quote:
Maybe their desire is to feel like they're in their studio, or it's the first comparison that comes to mind? You seem to lack imagination if you believe your way is the only one that isn't "boring". I sometimes picture myself dancing with a giant yellow teddy bear to Anna Nalick's "Shine" while on the toilet when others prefer to read, no biggie. 

Jan 19, 2011 at 4:45 PM Post #5 of 39
I think that most of what people post are gear reviews or comparisons, I dont think that what you are looking for really helps when describing a piece of equipment. Is it really helpful to say "I could almost feel the singers breath on my face from how close the R10's got me to her"? I would say not. With the right recordings it is however TOTALLY true. I think it is much better to say:
"The KEF reference speakers (I dont remember exactly which model they were... They were fairly large speakers and I wanted to take them home with me but they were $30K :frowning2: ) lacked a certain upper midrange spike that seems common in the majority of speakers presented to the local audio club at our monthly meetings." 

I think that if you want to say that the stereo image had reallly good depth from front to back (they reallllly did) and placed the instruments where they belonged in space, or at least kept them in their own space (speakers {and headphones for other reasons} with treble spikes move the upper mids forwards out of the speakers to me..) you should just say it. Saying that the singer was placed perfectly in front of the speakers with the cymbals wayyy in the back is an acurate description of what I heard, but I dont think many people listen that way. I have been in a couple arguments over the ability of a stereo to deliver spatial cues front to back or not. 

When describing a recording I do agree that what you are describing is something that people should spend more time talking about, I quite like it. OTOH, saying that you felt like you were in the club or that the music really got your toes tapping without more descriptions is just a different way of saying that you were in the studio. It dosnt really tell you much about the music. Maybe try to say a few things a few different ways. 

Jan 19, 2011 at 6:42 PM Post #7 of 39

i was saying it in a joking manner. didn't mean it at all to be offensive. 
Quote:
Quote:
really? how boring

I think you and I have different definitions of the term "boring". It may not be as "imaginative" as what you like to picture, but being in the studio/concert hall is what I like to picture when I listen to music. I'm not bored when I do it.

Jan 19, 2011 at 6:47 PM Post #8 of 39

Quote:

And I wasn't offended
biggrin.gif

Your way of listening is really interesting, it's cool to see how much people differ on things like this.

Jan 19, 2011 at 6:49 PM Post #9 of 39

i really like your explanation and agree. i started this thread to see if anyone ever uses there imagination for fun at home listening. i do. i can understand when listening to a piece of music or listening to a binaural recording hearing something right next to you breathing in your ear can be stimulating. i just like to sometimes leave that reality of music listening and escape and imagining my own world and make it my stage.
Quote:
I think that most of what people post are gear reviews or comparisons, I dont think that what you are looking for really helps when describing a piece of equipment. Is it really helpful to say "I could almost feel the singers breath on my face from how close the R10's got me to her"? I would say not. With the right recordings it is however TOTALLY true. I think it is much better to say:
"The KEF reference speakers (I dont remember exactly which model they were... They were fairly large speakers and I wanted to take them home with me but they were $30K :frowning2: ) lacked a certain upper midrange spike that seems common in the majority of speakers presented to the local audio club at our monthly meetings." 

I think that if you want to say that the stereo image had reallly good depth from front to back (they reallllly did) and placed the instruments where they belonged in space, or at least kept them in their own space (speakers {and headphones for other reasons} with treble spikes move the upper mids forwards out of the speakers to me..) you should just say it. Saying that the singer was placed perfectly in front of the speakers with the cymbals wayyy in the back is an acurate description of what I heard, but I dont think many people listen that way. I have been in a couple arguments over the ability of a stereo to deliver spatial cues front to back or not. 

When describing a recording I do agree that what you are describing is something that people should spend more time talking about, I quite like it. OTOH, saying that you felt like you were in the club or that the music really got your toes tapping without more descriptions is just a different way of saying that you were in the studio. It dosnt really tell you much about the music. Maybe try to say a few things a few different ways. 

Jan 19, 2011 at 6:51 PM Post #10 of 39

i agree. sorry tho. when it comes to internet typing and expression i ain't very good at trying to express things in writing.
Quote:
Quote:

And I wasn't offended
biggrin.gif

Your way of listening is really interesting, it's cool to see how much people differ on things like this.

Jan 20, 2011 at 7:26 AM Post #12 of 39
I use my imagination a lot, but more when I read fantasy books then when I'm listening to music:)

Only imagination while listening to music is sometimes when I imagine myself playing a song (drums) with my band while doing a concert or with certain songs, that we're playing it for my fiancee at our wedding (yes, maybe that's weird, so shoot me
biggrin.gif
)

Jan 20, 2011 at 12:09 PM Post #13 of 39
I just let myself feel the music and express itself, lol!

Quote:
hey dooods, i mean seriously every time i see someone mention a pair of nice speakers or headphones they be like ''omg it sounds like i'm in the studio''

really? how boring. i thought music was suppose to be enjoyed with your upmost of imagination when experiencing music? music is about creative expression right?

i mean don't you ever imagine an instrument played somewhere else or gives you that feeling of outer world experience? like every time i listen to Yuki kajiura- Morning moon and when that lovely violin kicks in i just can imagine a beautiful japanese girl in starting of spring where the cherry blossoms are starting to bloom playing in middle of an open field,gentle breeze passing and can see the lovely frequencies of the violin gracefully flow with the wind under a calm sunrise.

don't you ever use your imagination? it seems like lot of people around here are supposedly muscians and so forth and have experience with music but i never see anyone here ever express any sign of creativity when it comes to perceptive music listening.  

Jan 22, 2011 at 2:56 PM Post #14 of 39
Thats a strange one.. depends sometimes I will  focus on the music and I get a mish mash of imagery, if the music is really catchy and satisfying, I will be too occupied with the catchyness of it, if its mellow and contemplative or delicate like Jazz or Classical, its all about the interplay and fluidity of the  instruments and not so much mood. If the volume is reduced and I am doing other things like cooking, then it becomes an ambiance enhancer , where I am not focused on it, its more of comforting mood setter. Then you get those rare one in every hundred or more songs, that makes you stop what you are doing, gives you the emotive goose bumps and completely engages you, mood, thought and all,,,

Users who are viewing this thread

Back