You guys are killing me :(
Apr 9, 2011 at 2:43 AM Post #46 of 54
Over 3 months here and I've spent over 1k on audio gear. But I've stopped....for now...................
confused_face.gif

Apr 9, 2011 at 10:56 AM Post #47 of 54
The XB700's came today. Listened to them all day, passed them around as they burned in. Initial impressions are pretty good. Vocals not so much recessed as just overcame by the bass... guess I can't say I wasn't warned how deep it was, but by no means was it bad. Mostly everyone was blown away by them. I got a laugh because they asked if these "are the $300 ones?" (I've been talking about the 1000's) and heard a lot of , "I think you need bigger headphones /sarcasm."

No no, my friends; it gets better.

ACK! Now I went and bought my friend some Grado SR80's. He seems like he's susceptible to this bug...

Apr 10, 2011 at 9:28 AM Post #48 of 54
Exactly, so far much cheaper than photography or shakuhachi.  My wife is dreading my next hobby. 

Quote:
I started a long while back trying to find a decent entry-level set of headphones to use at work.  I spent just shy of $1500 last week to get my Planar Members Club card, and the assorted goodies to make them work.

But, what are hobbies if not expensive?  This one's still cheaper than my car or book hobby, too.

Anyway, good luck with your setup, and stay safe in the sandbox.

Apr 10, 2011 at 10:16 PM Post #49 of 54
I wouldn't sweat this hobby. As much as I really love the expensive stuff, there is plenty of joy and satisfaction from the cheaper gear. I could be happy with the AKG K501 ($129) headphone, $200 Little Dot amp and iPod and have a party of enjoyment in my ears.

Also, in my opinion, if you want to be serious about this hobby, $900 is pretty much all you need if on a budget. It would include a good $300 headphone of your choice, $300 amp and $300 quality DAC or CD player.

Lastly, this forum does not necessarily drain your wallet. This forum has also helped me save money by assisting me to find bang for your buck products. There is stuff out there that is very good and not too expensive and Head-fi can be your guiding light. Let Head-fi show you the way brother.

Apr 10, 2011 at 11:40 PM Post #51 of 54

Quote:
you're right; but in some respect, this forum can be financially damaging for those of us looking to gain perspective on different signatures

or you could go with a flat accurate setup and everything will sound like it is supposed to......

Apr 11, 2011 at 12:31 AM Post #52 of 54

Quote:
or you could go with a flat accurate setup and everything will sound like it is supposed to......

a reference setup is hardly ever catered to when it comes to a mastering; hip hop can sound boring without the low end exaggeration, trance can sound very energized with the special treble sparkle of the tf10's. it should also come to mention that we all perceive sound differently, so your right may be my wrong.
besides, the synergy of some combinations can make the difference between tapping your feet or dancing to a groove. if genre's were the region of a continent, headphones would be the vernacular
ksc75smile.gif

Apr 11, 2011 at 3:38 AM Post #53 of 54

I didn't really care for neutral sound. Working in school on setups I could never afford, with neutrality that was unmatched to my relatively young ears, I noticed two things with a really flat response:

1) Music from SACD was good, but anything from a redbook layer or standard CD was really boring, even if the same track. This is a negative for me because being deployed and even back at home, I have little means or interest in rebuilding my collection of music in SACD, which is largely forgotten by the labels that produce the bands that I like. I don't think Deadmau5 and Thee Michelle Gun Elephant are going to have anything on DVD-A, either.

2) I made my mixes for film too bass heavy because of my inclination to try and create that missing oomph from an effect over reference phones or active monitors, which are not as low freq sensitive as a home theater setup.

Edit to Spareribs: I believe that you're forgetting to include the price of lost CD's and new vinyl. Not that they are part of the beginning budget but it will definitely become a future cost.

Apr 11, 2011 at 12:35 PM Post #54 of 54
It's what make's You happiest when deciding which route You would like to go, high end, middle or lower is to each of our own choosing. We all make good point's on this and some of Us will disagree and that's cool either way. The key to it all is to just thoroughly enjoy Yourself and let Your ear's do the talking, don't worry, be happy!

gs1000.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back