You guys are killing me :(
Apr 5, 2011 at 11:36 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 54

WasabiJ

New Head-Fier
Just thought I would share my impressions after spending a little more than 3 months here, two of them lurking and the last one posting here and there, mostly about the Sony MDR XB-1000's.

I first came across this site in pursuit of a replacement for my old ATH M40fS.  They served me well from high school all the way to a couple of years ago, but finally they bought the farm (thanks, 14 year old girl with busted eardrums, thank you for frying my coils).  I wanted something with a lot more bass, and thought I'd check here to find something worthwhile.  I forgot to mention; I came across this site whilst getting ready to go to glorious Afghanistan.

I've now purchased a set of XB-700's, then I bought a Fiio E7, then I got the XB-1000's, then I bought a Fiio E9 in anticipation, to drive my XB's.  On top of that, insane customs checks and shipping times to Afghanistan means that my components and cables show up before my phones.  Because of APO conflicts a month ago, my 700's still haven't shown up, and my 1000's are further along in the shipping process than they are.

Within 3 months of being on this site I have dumped $650+. 

WHAT HAVE YOU DONE TO ME!?

Actually, I'm really stoked to get back home and have a proper setup.  I planned for the headphones a while ago, although I DID plan to wait.  Unfortunately, shipping delays are really common here, so I have to think ahead on something that I want to order.  Otherwise, I've been having a killer time here on Head-Fi.  Just thought I would share a little of my experience of being a budding basshead deployed abroad.

Apr 5, 2011 at 12:55 PM Post #2 of 54
hahaha i know what you mean. after going to this site i ordered a pair of ATH AD700's and ive even actually considered saving all my extra money for the HD 800s......

Apr 5, 2011 at 12:57 PM Post #3 of 54
We only do the best to aim and please! Welcome back home soldier and Thank You Very Much!!!  
beerchug.gif

Apr 5, 2011 at 6:44 PM Post #5 of 54
Yeah I dropped 1.6k in the last week. I originally came here to buy one bloody headphone. March has been particularly damaging ($3980). I think I'm going to have to sell some gear. 

Apr 5, 2011 at 6:53 PM Post #6 of 54
y do ppl buy so many headphones?

one head one headphone no?

i might see 2 headphones one for travel one for home or maybe if u like bass one day but not the other

but then ppl  buy headphones like shoes? y?

Apr 5, 2011 at 7:20 PM Post #8 of 54

Quote:
Yeah I dropped 1.6k in the last week. I originally came here to buy one bloody headphone. March has been particularly damaging ($3980). I think I'm going to have to sell some gear. 

Dam, thats a lot..
eek.gif

I've never spent past the 1.5k range. 

Apr 5, 2011 at 7:33 PM Post #10 of 54

Quote:
y do ppl buy so many headphones?

one head one headphone no?

i might see 2 headphones one for travel one for home or maybe if u like bass one day but not the other

but then ppl  buy headphones like shoes? y?

I have Summer and Winter headphones, plus one that I wear with tuxedos only.

Apr 5, 2011 at 8:37 PM Post #12 of 54
Only been here a couple of months and since then I've spent much (as far as my expenses are concerned) on audio equipment but I can only credit Head-fi with SAVING me money (or, quality) rather than costing me. Of the $1000 I've spent all has been planned and head-fi made it possible to consolidate my research to one site which really throws out the guess work and lowers the chances for error. The only thing I went on a limb for was my lexicon u22 usb interface which has, so far, been a wonderful purchase.

Thank you, Head-Fi, for helping me in my research. Perhaps I will be cursing you later on when I've the money to catch upgraditis. 

Apr 5, 2011 at 8:55 PM Post #14 of 54
Yup pretty crazy, reading the reviews gets you excited about trying new things.  After about 4 months of reading and buying I've finally got the system or sound I want.  Only improvement left in the budget is the DAC and then I can finally be free of the upgraditis.  Definitely no new purchases after the DAC until X-mas or maybe longer if I don't attend my first meet-up.  

Apr 5, 2011 at 9:09 PM Post #15 of 54
Quote:
Yup pretty crazy, reading the reviews gets you excited about trying new things.  After about 4 months of reading and buying I've finally got the system or sound I want.  Only improvement left in the budget is the DAC and then I can finally be free of the upgraditis.  Definitely no new purchases after the DAC until X-mas or maybe longer if I don't attend my first meet-up.  

That's what you say now 
evil_smiley.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back