You guys are killing me :(
Apr 6, 2011 at 1:44 PM Post #31 of 54

Quote:
After the first thousand-dollar item, it gets easier. Check the before and after thread if you really want to see how bad it gets.

D:

I could never... EVER do that.  That's beyond the money I can even dream of making.

Dear God.  It's like watching a HiFi version of "Hoarders."

EDIT:  I have a friend in the Army who seemed to really enjoy the listening experience with his music and half my rig with not-so-great Plantronics 777 headset (interim Headphones till the XB's arrive).  He really changed his mood that day, saying "Man that's way better than the headphones <omitted> sold me on (Beats solo)."  His music is some of the best quality metal I've seen in terms of bit rate and sampling... I think I need to get him some Grados?

Apr 6, 2011 at 6:48 PM Post #32 of 54
i make hardly anything working at a grocery store but if i really wanted to buy something that cost me 1500 like the hd800s i would save all of my expendable income for a year to do it. i have been known to do that before.

Apr 6, 2011 at 7:08 PM Post #33 of 54
You know, if you buy used and sell off gear this hobby is a bargain.  All this gear holds it's value pretty well, especially the better known components. You end up spending just a couple hundred (if at all) as rental fees and gain hours and hours of invaluable listening pleasure.  Divide up your couple hundred rental fees for all the months you enjoy it and you won't feel so terrible.  A starter desktop rig will run you something like $20 a month.

I'd say we have it pretty good.  A major portion of what we pay is less an expense and more like a deposit.

Apr 6, 2011 at 8:32 PM Post #34 of 54
Ayah! You guys are scarring me! I barely had enough money to afford my grados! Must...resist..urge..!

-goes on and reads some reviews on some nice, expensive headphones/amps/dacs/time displacement equipment-

Apr 6, 2011 at 8:42 PM Post #35 of 54
Yup yup. If you really like that piece of gear, you can sell it off and buy yourself a spiffy new one. That's what I've done.

Quote:
You know, if you buy used and sell off gear this hobby is a bargain.  All this gear holds it's value pretty well, especially the better known components. You end up spending just a couple hundred (if at all) as rental fees and gain hours and hours of invaluable listening pleasure.  Divide up your couple hundred rental fees for all the months you enjoy it and you won't feel so terrible.  A starter desktop rig will run you something like $20 a month.

I'd say we have it pretty good.  A major portion of what we pay is less an expense and more like a deposit.

Apr 7, 2011 at 11:32 AM Post #37 of 54
Quote:
If the Gov't shuts down Friday, I'll be forced to just... put this whole project on hold.

Ah, our fine democracy in action.
rolleyes.gif
  That is however, an entirely different discussion, one we should not dirty ourselves with(in my opinion of course).

Apr 8, 2011 at 9:54 AM Post #41 of 54
I can sympathize wit you.  I found this place by accident.  I was just looking into some diy tube amps and found head-wize which led to here and well that's how it started.  A couple of years ago I would have not even considered headphones over $100.  Now I my wife is on board with buying me any of the top tier stuff out there later this year for our anniversary.  It also did not help that I got into this as we were just starting to get ourselves out of debt.  Once that happens in October she's fine with me buying whatever I want as long it it is budgeted for and paid for with cash.  It does help that At that point there will be about $6k a month in disposable income,  most of which will go into the bank.  I plan to retire young!!  

Apr 8, 2011 at 11:49 AM Post #43 of 54

Quote:
I can sympathize wit you.  I found this place by accident.  I was just looking into some diy tube amps and found head-wize which led to here and well that's how it started.  A couple of years ago I would have not even considered headphones over $100.  Now I my wife is on board with buying me any of the top tier stuff out there later this year for our anniversary.  It also did not help that I got into this as we were just starting to get ourselves out of debt.  Once that happens in October she's fine with me buying whatever I want as long it it is budgeted for and paid for with cash.  It does help that At that point there will be about $6k a month in disposable income,  most of which will go into the bank.  I plan to retire young!!  

You have an Awesome Lady there, and don't You forget that! That's real cool that She's gotten into this with, not many Wive's would. Thank You My Friend for Your Service! 
L3000.gif

Apr 8, 2011 at 1:53 PM Post #44 of 54
My wife actually does not get into headphones at all.  I posted in another thread that her first comment after I finished a new amp was it just sounds louder.  Then she could not figure out why I would want to listen to headphones that did not block out outside noise.  Her comment about the DT880's was why can I still hear the air conditioner.  It's really a good thing that I live in isolation here at GTMO.  I would be much more tempted to spend money if I were back in the states.  I'm not military, by the way, I'm a civilian contractor that fixes Navy airplanes.

Apr 8, 2011 at 2:50 PM Post #45 of 54
That's cool, that was My 1st choice growing up, but due to unfortunate circumstance's it did'nt play out that way. At least She tolerate's Your passion and You never know thing's do change, She might surprise You, sound's good anyway!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back