You guys are going to shoot me...
Sep 25, 2007 at 12:31 AM Post #31 of 32
No, I think that the bass on my SR80 is pretty good. Nothing compared to the Stax, though. I'm happy either way, as long as the bass doesn't outweigh the mids, and doesn't absorb the highs.

Something tells me that no matter which one I choose, I will enjoy it a lot.

Sep 25, 2007 at 5:53 AM Post #32 of 32
Not sure if I'm the best person to chime in here as I'm not a fan of dynamic headphones period.

But!

Don't get the HD580/600/650 for metal and rock. Well, if by rock you mean older classic rock then fine, but for anything that requires speed and resolution with dense material, the Senns will be too slow. When the music picks up and get going they'll start tripping over their own feet. The HD600 is absolutely perfect for jazz though, being very neutral and fairly open sounding but with lots of depth and heft. The HD650 is artificially warm and syrupy sweet; it works wonders with classic rock by warming up and filling out the sound, but it's too colored for jazz where you want a more realistic tone/tembre (well, at least I do).

In fact, I have a hard time thinking of what can do the trick with all three genres. The few headphones that I can think of are the Stax SR-003, which you probably won't need given that you have an SR-5, and the AKG K340, which is fabulous but prices on used markets are gouged to hell, and you'll have a hard time finding an amp that is synergistic and can drive them well, given how different the sound is from one pair to another.

Pick your poison. But, if you're patient, I think that a K340 rig can go a very, very long way. If not, go with a dynamic, but make sure it's quick on its toes and can handle the dense stuff well.

A SR-202 with the SRM-252 amp can work out too, if you don't find electrostatics to be lacking in impact with rock/metal/etc. I do, but I'm not necessarily the majority. The SR-003 has very good impact for a 'stat, better than the SR-202 by a good margin, though it's less technically competent overall.

If you can pick up an original normal-bias Lamda (seeing how you already have a transformer box) you'll be set for a very long time, but good luck with that!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back