You guys are going to shoot me...
Sep 23, 2007 at 6:44 PM Post #16 of 32
Quote:

Originally Posted by spinali /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It depends on how much bass you need in your music. Rap and electronic needs gobs of bass, while classical needs detail. It seems that finding that perfect medium is the issue for you.

Davesrose hit it on the target when he suggested you sample the phones. If there were a stereo store or Guitar Center in your area....

I would only counter that it depends on how much of a balance in bass vs detail you want for your own setup/ears. As it's the presentation for classical that makes AKGs sound sterile for me, and Senns more natural. Part of it could be preference too. I play classical guitar and when I'm listening for the sake of relaxing....I want to feel that I'm back a bit from the performer and that the instrument has enough air for proper timbre. When I've listened to AKGs on various sources, I've always got the sense that they have too much detail. Difference in ears as much as performance of setup IMO. Both AKGs and Senns can scale up very nicely and are great all around headphones. People will debate ad nauseum about whether one is better then the other for a given genre.....but ultimately, they're just different flavors that you should taste and sample. Only you can say what you like
icon10.gif

Sep 23, 2007 at 7:06 PM Post #18 of 32
From your list, I'd go with HD600. But you said around $300. For like 30 bucks more, you could score a pair of HD650 on ebay, NEW IN BOX. Thats what I did when I joined Headfi, and they have been rockin ever since.
580smile.gif

Sep 23, 2007 at 7:26 PM Post #21 of 32
as stated so eloquently above:

1- it is a matter of personal taste (Senn vs AKG)
2- "veiled" is a matter of perspective as well as personal taste
3 - AKG vs Senn is much like the debtes my brothers used to have regarding;
"Ford vs Chevy", "Yankees vs Mets", etc . . . . there is no possible resolve

Senn = Chocolate
AKG = Vanilla
You have never tasted either flavor before in your life and have no idea what they taste like except what others have told you . . . . . pick one!
plainface.gif

Now, be smart and find an audio dealer and go have a "taste" for yourself and decide.

oh, and not to leave anybody out,
Grado = Gradoberry
icon10.gif

unfortunately, I have never "tasted" Beyers

Sep 23, 2007 at 7:47 PM Post #22 of 32
I can't think it's name, but there is a high end stereo store on Lindbergh, in between Olive and Ladue I believe. Heading south on Linbergh from Olive you'll see it. It's a square, almost block like building that is either white or silver and has a red band around it. I've never been in there, but if your in that area, or not far from it, it may be worth a shot.

Good luck

Sep 23, 2007 at 7:59 PM Post #23 of 32
Except that if Grados, ATs or Sonys are chocolate....
the K701 is vanilla and HD5/6X0s are French vanilla (a little more colored).

I like the Ford v. Chevy comparison. Relatively similar if compared against German or Japanese vehicles.
wink.gif

Sep 24, 2007 at 7:24 AM Post #24 of 32
Quote:

Originally Posted by blessingx /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I like the Ford v. Chevy comparison. Relatively similar if compared against German or Japanese vehicles

Insofar significant comparison as this would also somewhat imply technical inferiority...
tongue.gif

Sep 24, 2007 at 1:12 PM Post #25 of 32
Quote:

Originally Posted by NiceCans /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I disagree . . . . .
had SR60, SR80, SR225, SR325i
IMO SR325i was different than any of the other Grado's I tried, they are much clearer, more open sounding, with noticably greater detail. After listening to the SR325i I found my SR225 sounded muddy, veiled, lifeless in comparison.
I felt the SR325i was much more like my K701 than it was like any of the other Grados I had tried.

I hope to upgrade to the SR325i next. Hopefully, that won't be for a while though
smily_headphones1.gif

Sep 24, 2007 at 2:51 PM Post #26 of 32
Seeing as how your present system allows you to enjoy the Grados SR-80s, I suspect either the HD-600s or the K-701s would be the most likely upgrade suspects. The 600s are the safer bet if a warmer sound is preferred, with a tad more bass presence and less treble energy than the K-701s.

Keeping the SR-80s would then provide a nice complementary presentaion, whereas the soundstge experience would be a newly added benifit to either of the upgrade choices above. With the K-701 most leaning towards the clarity of the Grados, IME.

Of course, my Beyers 990s are most like the sharp and defined clarity of my old RS-2s... However, the 990s are very system dependent to control both their frequency extensions; However in my system they replaced the RS-2 with a greatly enhanced headstaging/soundstaging, which the onstage presentation of the Grados simply don't convey(save for the GS-1000s), but that too is the Grados strength and beauty, IME&O...

However, the Senns from my experience lacked the clarity and monitor like frequency balance of the K-701s, with the gear I had assembled at the time, which had me sell the HD-650s...

Perhaps the HD-600s would be best for you, your system and music preferences...

I've never regretted changing out the 650s for the K-701s.....

Sep 24, 2007 at 4:20 PM Post #27 of 32
Quote:

Originally Posted by Hi-Finthen /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I've never regretted changing out the 650s for the K-701s.....

On that note I'd like to add:
I feel the same on switching out of the HD600 for K701.

Since it was not a direct switch (had other phones between those pairs),
I recently asked a g/f to bring her HD600 along on her last visit so I could do a direct comparison.
Although was hesitant as I expectd it to be a tough choice that might make me regret going to the K701, for my ears (and on my system) it was no contest. We both agreed that the K701 had noticably more clarity and range. The HD600 does have the bass that many claim the K701 are missing, personally I prefer to sacrifice some o that for the tonality I perceive.

I also think Hi-Finthen's comment aout the K701 being "monitor-like" was spot-on.

*note: after posting this and rereading it, I hope it does not appear that I am trying to turn this into another Senn vs AKG battle. I am not, just trying to give some impressions from my experience to perhaps aid others who might not have the opportunity to hear for themselves.

Sep 24, 2007 at 5:16 PM Post #28 of 32
I don't think that the K701 are a bad option if you listen to metal/rock. I use mine with a Darkvoice 332 and I think it's a great match because they get a bit less bright but without losing their great sound stage and detail.
I tried them in a store and I liked them much more than the HD 650 simply because for me the Senns weren't fast enough for metal. (e.g. bass drum gets muddy at a certain speed)

However I never tried out a Grado (not very easy to get here in Europe) but I don't think that I would like it, because I think that I would miss the soundstage for black metal.

Sep 24, 2007 at 11:10 PM Post #29 of 32
When you say the K701 has less bass compared to the HD600 (or 650), what level of bass does it have? Is it like the Etymotic Er6i, or slightly less than the SR80 (or like it)?

Thanks for all your help guys.

Sep 24, 2007 at 11:24 PM Post #30 of 32
Quote:

Originally Posted by Tridacnid /img/forum/go_quote.gif
When you say the K701 has less bass compared to the HD600 (or 650), what level of bass does it have? Is it like the Etymotic Er6i, or slightly less than the SR80 (or like it)?

Thanks for all your help guys.

That depends who you ask.

Personally I find it wonderful and near perfect, others think it should be more up-front, I don't. You will find many posts where people criticize this, but it appears to me many are undercover bassheads.
tongue.gif

It goes very deep and has good tonality and texture in the bass region. I felt the HD600 had more bass weight and resonance and was more heavily weighted, at the expense of tonality. But again this is based on my preferences.

Do you feel your SR80 are lacking bass? If yes, then you may wish to try HD600/HD650.
If no, then the Senns may be too bass heavy and you may prefer the others.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back