You guys are going to shoot me...
Sep 23, 2007 at 2:17 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 32

Tridacnid

1000+ Head-Fier
Joined
Jun 10, 2007
Posts
1,053
Likes
10
For another headphone suggestion thread.

It's about time to upgrade, and have been reading reviews. My current phones are primarily my SR80s from my Little Dot MKIII. I have narrowed it down to the Grado 325i, AKG 6/701, Sennheiser HD600, and the Beyerdynamic DT880. Comfort is second to sound, and the way the phones look comes after comfort. I really like the Grado look, btw.

My music preferences are pretty much rock, metal, and jazz. I very rarely listen to R&B, rap, etc.
The source is just an old Magnavox, but the next upgrade is probably going to be a Marantz CD player.

Any other suggestions are appreciated, but try to keep it around $300USD.

Thanks,
Tri
 
Sep 23, 2007 at 2:28 AM Post #3 of 32

Drag0n

Headphoneus Supremus
Joined
Jun 11, 2004
Posts
3,706
Likes
15
I dont know if youve ever heard any of your choices before....but theyre all totally different from each other.
Youre almost asking us for a sound choice opinion rather than which is best.
All those cans are very good, so really its going to be taste that determines what to get.

Ok,so we can see what music ya like.......but what would make the SR80 sound better to you? What sound are you looking for? Thats whats really going to help people to help you. From youre opinions on what the common SR80 needs to be great, people can determine which headphone may possibly be the closest one to getting you there.
 
Sep 23, 2007 at 2:30 AM Post #4 of 32

NiceCans

Headphoneus Supremus
Joined
Aug 22, 2004
Posts
3,875
Likes
13
Location
paradise on a lake in the sun
Quote:

Originally Posted by Tridacnid /img/forum/go_quote.gif
For another headphone suggestion thread.

It's about time to upgrade, and have been reading reviews. My current phones are primarily my SR80s from my Little Dot MKIII. I have narrowed it down to the Grado 325i, AKG 6/701, Sennheiser HD600, and the Beyerdynamic DT880. Comfort is second to sound, and the way the phones look comes after comfort. I really like the Grado look, btw.

My music preferences are pretty much rock, metal, and jazz. I very rarely listen to R&B, rap, etc.
The source is just an old Magnavox, but the next upgrade is probably going to be a Marantz CD player.

Any other suggestions are appreciated, but try to keep it around $300USD.

Thanks,
Tri




Well sounds like you have a good start laid out there as the ones you named all work fairly well for your genres.
Matter of fact, I'd venture a guess that you even listed them pretty much in the correct order for the genres listed.

From there it is mostly a matter of personal preference regarding presentation.
Veiled Senns
600veiled.gif

Grado-Bright
grado-shine.gif

k701 - BLISS
k701smile9ga.gif


Pick your poison
evil_smiley.gif



btw - just kidding, all three are great
 
Sep 23, 2007 at 3:52 AM Post #5 of 32

blessingx

HeadFest '07 Graphic Designer
Supplier of fine logos! His visions of Head-Fi
Joined
Mar 27, 2003
Posts
13,179
Likes
25
Are you going to keep the SR80s? If so then I'd personally drop the 325i (too similar). I don't feel the K601 or DT880 is up to the HD600 and K701, especially for your musical choices. There's practically no reason to get the HD600, when there are so many HD580s still around. There then are two really great phones that sound more similar to each other than the others and compliments the SR80 well. You choose, however one is unfortunately twice the price of the other. So I say get HD580 and use the extra cash to recable or for your next move. You really can't go wrong with either though.
 
Sep 23, 2007 at 5:31 AM Post #6 of 32

The_Duke_Of_Eli

Headphoneus Supremus
Joined
Feb 23, 2006
Posts
2,113
Likes
10
With rock, metal and jazz, you can't go wrong with a higher-end grado such as the 225s (do NOT get 325is) or Alessandro MS-2is. Also on the budget side, check out the Goldring DR150s. Blessingx pretty much stole the words out of my mouth. None of the cans you're looking at right now are the right choice.
 
Sep 23, 2007 at 8:58 AM Post #7 of 32

dimm0k

100+ Head-Fier
Joined
Jul 31, 2007
Posts
289
Likes
12
Quote:

Originally Posted by The_Duke_Of_Eli /img/forum/go_quote.gif
With rock, metal and jazz, you can't go wrong with a higher-end grado such as the 225s (do NOT get 325is) or Alessandro MS-2is.


What's wrong with the 325i?
 
Sep 23, 2007 at 9:55 AM Post #8 of 32

MrJoshua

500+ Head-Fier
Joined
Jan 9, 2005
Posts
891
Likes
19
Quote:

Originally Posted by dimm0k /img/forum/go_quote.gif
What's wrong with the 325i?


x2
 
Sep 23, 2007 at 3:08 PM Post #10 of 32

nickchen

Headphoneus Supremus
Joined
Feb 14, 2005
Posts
4,393
Likes
39
Quote:

Originally Posted by dimm0k /img/forum/go_quote.gif
What's wrong with the 325i?


Wrong thing about them is that they are just more of the same if the SR80 is already in possession.

I'd head for one of the big "3 teutons" K701, DT880 or HD650 for exactly that reason. I personally feel very well equipped with my DT880, but I could live with the other 2 as well.
 
Sep 23, 2007 at 4:00 PM Post #11 of 32

NiceCans

Headphoneus Supremus
Joined
Aug 22, 2004
Posts
3,875
Likes
13
Location
paradise on a lake in the sun
Quote:

Originally Posted by nickchen /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Wrong thing about them is that they are just more of the same if the SR80 is already in possession.

I'd head for one of the big "3 teutons" K701, DT880 or HD650 for exactly that reason. I personally feel very well equipped with my DT880, but I could live with the other 2 as well.



I disagree . . . . .
had SR60, SR80, SR225, SR325i
IMO SR325i was different than any of the other Grado's I tried, they are much clearer, more open sounding, with noticably greater detail. After listening to the SR325i I found my SR225 sounded muddy, veiled, lifeless in comparison.
I felt the SR325i was much more like my K701 than it was like any of the other Grados I had tried.
 
Sep 23, 2007 at 5:51 PM Post #12 of 32

Davesrose

Headphoneus Supremus
Joined
Oct 20, 2006
Posts
4,827
Likes
161
I also feel that the SR325i is way better then the 225 or anything else under it. In fact, it's my favorite Grado because of it's hyperdetail. Too bad I can't wear them for too long (they get to be uncomfortable for extended listening).

Senns are my favorite all around headphones. They have the best soundstage for my ears/setup. If you like your current headphones, seems obvious to upgrade to the SR325i!
 
Sep 23, 2007 at 6:03 PM Post #13 of 32

Tridacnid

1000+ Head-Fier
Joined
Jun 10, 2007
Posts
1,053
Likes
10
For starters, I think that the SR80s could be more detailed, have clearer bass, and be a lot more comfortable. Isolation isn't a factor.

Just as a reference, I think my Stax SR5 setup is very detailed,has pretty darn good bass, and excellent highs, but it doesn't make me feel the music. It just makes me want to drool.

I haven't ever listened to an AKG, so I don't entirely know what to expect from them.

What do you mean by veiled, NiceCans? Veiled as in, "its so close I want to grab it, but I can't", or something else? I have listened to HD580s, and they seemed rather emotionless. Although, it was only fed by an iPod.

Thanks again.
 
Sep 23, 2007 at 6:13 PM Post #14 of 32

Davesrose

Headphoneus Supremus
Joined
Oct 20, 2006
Posts
4,827
Likes
161
Quote:

Originally Posted by Tridacnid /img/forum/go_quote.gif
What do you mean by veiled, NiceCans? Veiled as in, "its so close I want to grab it, but I can't", or something else? I have listened to HD580s, and they seemed rather emotionless. Although, it was only fed by an iPod.


AKG fans feel that Senns are "veiled" because they're not as detailed as AKGs. The AKG vs Senn feud is the biggest one for headphones that exhibit a sound stage. And I think it all centers around the mid frequencies! For me, Senns do it just right in having a headphone that brings out a natural soundstage. AKGs sound hollow and recessed due to having a big soundstage with too much emphasis in the upper mids. AKG fans feel that their headphones are more natural sounding and that Senns are muffled sounding. And if you start a k701 vs HD650 thread, you'll just see how endless a debate it gets
wink.gif
icon10.gif


Only way to say whether you find the k701 or HD650 more natural is to try them out. They both do great with source upgrades and amping.....so I'm a believer in just settling with a headphone you like and then do source upgrades. Either the k701 or HD650 will be more comfortable then the SR325i (comfort factor is the main problem I find with my SR325is).
 
Sep 23, 2007 at 6:29 PM Post #15 of 32

spinali

Headphoneus Supremus
Joined
Sep 26, 2003
Posts
1,602
Likes
12
You'd originally expressed interest in the DT880 and HD600. Opinions may vary on the Grados you mention, but Beyer has a clean, crisp sound with nice detail, though not heavy on the bass. For somewhat less, the AKG K701 - a personal fave - trumps the Beyers for detail and value.

Veiled refers to heightened bass response that in some way cancels out treble detail; Senn HD650 is a good example. No chance of veil on the AKG or DT880 mentioned above. While considered "clinical" by a few, I feel the music just fine. It depends on how much bass you need in your music. Rap and electronic needs gobs of bass, while classical needs detail. It seems that finding that perfect medium is the issue for you.

Davesrose hit it on the target when he suggested you sample the phones. If there were a stereo store or Guitar Center in your area....
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Top