Yo-yos, because there isn't a thread about them
Dec 5, 2009 at 8:04 PM Post #46 of 95
Quote:

Originally Posted by Punnisher /img/forum/go_quote.gif
A quick question:

I am really interested in getting a Kickside (or maybe a similar one of better quality). Is there a certain bearing that I need in order to make it unresponsive? I'd like to experiment with both setups.

The kickside can be both, you just need to thin lube the bearing when you want to go unresponsive, and probably silicone it. (you take some permatex red gasket maker and put it into the little recess where the ring would usually go. Makes the binds way tighter, and if it's flush or less than flush, it makes it less responsive.) Oh yeah, and maybe shim it some.

and yeah, I have spent more on yoyos, haha.

By my last count, I had about 25 metals. And metals cost about 90-100 dollars on average. And I know for a fact I've given away about five hundred worth of stuff.
And then there's plastics...
haha.
by the way, all yoyos do play different, like how headphones sound different. And it is all preference. Which is thy I think if you wanna get into it, you should try as many different types of plastics as possible, to get to know what you like.

Dec 9, 2009 at 12:23 AM Post #47 of 95
My order is in transit but can't tell when it will arrive. I'm really excited.
icon10.gif

Dec 9, 2009 at 3:18 PM Post #48 of 95
Quote:

My order is in transit but can't tell when it will arrive. I'm really excited.
icon10.gif

Whadja get whadja get whadja get?

Dec 9, 2009 at 5:44 PM Post #49 of 95
I got a yoyojam Hitman, various shims, thick and thin oil, 100-pack of polyester strings.

I did a lot of research between the DarkMagic and HitMan. I chose the HM because it's a bit smaller, and I wasn't sold on the hybrid system. Call me crazy but I would like both sides of the yoyo to be symmetrical. Plus, I think there's more that can be done in terms of mods with the dual o-ring setup. Keep in mind I have no idea if any of this is accurate, it's just what I've picked up on from lots of reading.

Anyway, I'm sure it will be a great initial setup for me. I'll probably get an all-metal yoyo down the line if I become serious enough.

Dec 9, 2009 at 8:00 PM Post #50 of 95
Quote:

I got a yoyojam Hitman, various shims, thick and thin oil, 100-pack of polyester strings.

I did a lot of research between the DarkMagic and HitMan. I chose the HM because it's a bit smaller, and I wasn't sold on the hybrid system. Call me crazy but I would like both sides of the yoyo to be symmetrical. Plus, I think there's more that can be done in terms of mods with the dual o-ring setup. Keep in mind I have no idea if any of this is accurate, it's just what I've picked up on from lots of reading.

Anyway, I'm sure it will be a great initial setup for me. I'll probably get an all-metal yoyo down the line if I become serious enough.

sweet, that sounds great.
But just try to be gentle with it. Minus smoothness, the hitman is easily up there in play with a lot of metals. (However, smoothness is kind of big... But it can be tuned to be very nice.)
But it comes at the price of durability. It can't take some of the giant slams most metals can.

Oh yeah, and I advise you to take the pogs out immediately. They make it feel really hollow.

I'm sure you'll love it.The hitman was my first serious yoyo, too. It served me fantastically. Learned soooo much on it. Also, it has, like, the longest spin time of any yoyo ever under $40 that I've ever seen. You made the right decision on the dual oring thing, too. It's greatly preferred.

And, just so you know- Right when you get it, you will likely be very disappointed with its spin time. Work on your throw. It took me at least a week to get a decent one down.
And as soon as youfeel the need to go unresponsive, I recommend siliconing it (sili just makes binding easier then orings, IMO). Don't make it unresponsive yet, though. Just practice binding with it responsive, but siliconed. And then later, clean and lube the bearing, and shim it out some. I wish that when I was new, I had started practicing binding earlier, because it forced me to focus only on binding when I made my hitman unresponsive, so I couldn't learn any new tricks for a while. So this way you would get the bind down easier, kind of like with training wheels, so you woul;dn't have to just focus on that later.
And sorry this post doesn't look clean or edited or anything, my sis needed to get on so I didn't proofread. sorry.

Dec 10, 2009 at 1:19 AM Post #51 of 95
Yes, my plan is to learn binding as soon as possible. I'll give it some use before I decide what to do in terms of responsiveness/width.

What do you mean about pogs? Do you mean the graphic on the inside of the cups? I wasn't sure if you could remove the picture or not.

Dec 10, 2009 at 2:20 AM Post #52 of 95
Quote:

Yes, my plan is to learn binding as soon as possible. I'll give it some use before I decide what to do in terms of responsiveness/width.

What do you mean about pogs? Do you mean the graphic on the inside of the cups? I wasn't sure if you could remove the picture or not.

They pop out with a suction cup, or, if you're sure you don't want them later, just poke a hole through them with a knife. That's what I do.

Dec 10, 2009 at 4:21 AM Post #53 of 95
I was thinking about painting those so that they are a solid color. Depends on how I like its looks though.

I got the white Hitman. It was a tough choice between blue and white.

Dec 10, 2009 at 4:52 AM Post #54 of 95
Quote:

I was thinking about painting those so that they are a solid color. Depends on how I like its looks though.

I got the white Hitman. It was a tough choice between blue and white.

oh dude, you did so well I don't even know how to tell you...
You got the strings, lube, dual o-ring, researched before buying, and got white by some fluke, meaning you can dye it later.

So much better than 90% of first purchases.

Dec 11, 2009 at 3:00 AM Post #56 of 95
Quote:

Originally Posted by P4Z /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I ordered:
YoyoJam Ultra Jam String x100
YoyoJam JamOil Thick
A white/black YoYoJAM Lyn Fury
A lime green YoYoJAM Journey

typical oil is thin, but I don't think it'll make too much of a difference... Just take a bit longer to break in. I usually use a thicker oil, too.
And very nice buy. They might lose responsiveness semi-quickly, though. Learning to bind would be good, just in case. But it wasn't a problem for me with the hitman, so I don't think it should be a problem. I have those that you just bought, but I've never left the o-rings in. I always silicone them immediately.
The lyn is one of my all time faves. I have about four. It's the same shape as the hitman, too.

Next time I'd go w/ theyostore though, I like their prices better, and Mike's great. Ships out orders daily. Here's a link to its feedback page, in case you're wary.(which I don't blame you for, I was very wary at first.)

Dec 11, 2009 at 3:41 AM Post #57 of 95
It's an American site, I figured shipping would be more expensive, which might make things the same price in the end.
How do I silicone them?
How is the Hectic Splash? They look really nice, but solid metals for LAAATER.
I'm thinkin my next'll be a dark magic, speeder, or sigma blade zwei, cos I like the look of YoYoJam.
Gonna make a theyo account now. What's your name on there pyrokid?
Mine will be P47Z.
It seems to look just like head-fi, but for yoyos.
Gotta sleep now lol.

Dec 11, 2009 at 3:50 AM Post #58 of 95
So I got my order in! It's much smaller and lighter than I imagined. It's almost unresponsive right now, and when I add even the small shims it's impossible to return normally. I pretty much need to learn to bind first thing.

I also removed the side plastic and pogs, and it looks pretty cool.

Dec 11, 2009 at 12:34 PM Post #59 of 95
Quote:

So I got my order in! It's much smaller and lighter than I imagined. It's almost unresponsive right now, and when I add even the small shims it's impossible to return normally. I pretty much need to learn to bind first thing.

Just work on your throw for a while. It probably just needs a bit more spin to get it back up. That happened with me, too.
And don't worry, it can improve amazingly in even 10 mins of practice.

I had to spend a solid week working on my throw before I got too intense with the tricks.

at P4(7)Z, I'm pyrokid on there too. That's actually where my name came from- I loved the pyro. (yoyo.)
And yeah, it pretty much works just like head-fi, but there aren't as many people so it takes a bit longer to get answers.
However, since the yoyoing community is so small, you can get to be really close to the different company heads, and the pros, without a problem. And you might just wanna read around on some reviews, and see what you do like about what you got, and what you didn't, so you can have some ground to go off of on your next buy.

Quote:

I know, right? I really dislike 'em. However, some people still like them, so I don't think andre's ready to ditch them yet. I'm too minimalistic, though. Like it to be as simple as possible.

And about the smaller and lighter thing, my hitman felt super light at first too. But then once I got used to it, that's just what yoyos weighed after, and I knew to expect it.
But every yoyo I get still looks too small for a day. haha.

Dec 13, 2009 at 2:36 AM Post #60 of 95
I love yoyoing. My first yoyo was the terminator tornado. It was great at the time, slept for over a minute and really helped me get good. My next step up from this was the bumblebee, it really helped me get good with string tricks. Learning split the atom, rollercoaster, and offstring tricks was a breeze with it. Then a break through for yoyoing came out in the form of the yoyojam super spinfaktor. I was completley blown away at how smooth it was on the string, it put my bumblebee to shame. It could spin forever it seemed. I eventually lost it and decided to buy the yoyojam patriot (now known as the journey) and I absolutely loved it. I became awesome at offstring tricks with it, which eventually led to the yoyos demise. We would go to the park and shoot the yoyo a couple hundred feet in the air and try to land it back on the string. I thought I was good and tried this in the parking lot one time and missed it, it shattered. I then tried the duncan freehand zero and although it was not as good as the patriot, it waqs definatley amazing to see that duncan finally decided to try to compete with yoyojam and yoyofactory. My wife just bought me a yoyofactory fast 201 and I'd say it was a good yoyo for a beginner because it is very responsive. I hated the fact that it was responsive so I cut out the starbursts and switched the bearings out to duncan bearings aand it rocks. I recommend yoyoexperts.com for good videos on learning tricks, and I am so delighted to see this thread. Great decisions on the yoyojam yoyos, and if you ever want to get into modding buy a fast 201 or duncan fhz. Let me know how that hitman works out for you, I've herd some great things, especially that its good for thumb grinds.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back