Yo-Yo Ma
Sep 16, 2009 at 6:27 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 18

KingStyles

Headphoneus Supremus
Sep 16, 2009 at 6:35 AM Post #2 of 18
for 789.00? you gotta be kidding. I have many of his CD's and love them. I bet a lot of those recordings are compilations of previous ones. Unless they are radically different, not sure they offer any value other than a collector's item.

Sep 16, 2009 at 1:44 PM Post #5 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by fuseboxx /img/forum/go_quote.gif
"Yo-Yo Ma Plays Ennio Morricone" is ace.

x2.

Sep 16, 2009 at 4:10 PM Post #6 of 18
Quote:

x3

Sep 16, 2009 at 9:58 PM Post #9 of 18
Its not bad per cd, Im just wonder how good his interpretation of the music is over the years to qualify owning all his works.

Sep 17, 2009 at 3:07 AM Post #10 of 18
No-no mas Yo-Yo Ma por me. I have a number of his discs but I couldn't imagine sloughing through 90 discs worth. While I like some, one problem I have is that it seems too many of his recordings, at least the ones I have, place him to forward in the music like a centerpiece (solo recording excepted). IMO it takes away from overall balance of the pieces. The Silk Road project is a nice exception.

Sep 17, 2009 at 4:35 AM Post #11 of 18
The per-CD price is not bad at all, but you have to be a huge fan to shell out that kind of money all at once. I just hope that, as Sony bothered to remaster his older stuff, some of the acclaimed and hard-to-find items (such as the Shostakovich concertos) can be reissued.

Ma recorded a lot of new repertoires under Sony, and not all of them are successful (King Gesar by Peter Lieberson is one of the duds), and then there are lots of fusion projects that may or may not to one's taste. As for the Morricone disc, it is indeed beautifully played, but I wish Sony/Ma had the audacity to show us the other side of Morricone -- Morricone is fiercely avant-garde when not writing for films, and the collection could have been infinitely richer had they include one of his chamber pieces.

Sep 17, 2009 at 4:42 AM Post #12 of 18
Thanks for the feedback. I think Ill stick with individual cds for now. Im still plowing through Shostakovitch complete works and have bach complete organ works ordered. I cant keep up.

Sep 17, 2009 at 6:08 AM Post #14 of 18
Quote:

x5
smily_headphones1.gif

Has anyone seen Yo Yo Ma live? I haven't, but he's been on my "must see" list for some time.

$800 box set? Ouch. It's probably good, but I'd rather spread $800 over a variety of music.

Sep 17, 2009 at 6:23 AM Post #15 of 18
Quote:

A little off topic but since everyone loves this one, how does it compare to other Morricone tributes? I love Enrico Pieranunzi's "Play Morricone". I'm wondering how YoYo's stacks up if anyone has heard both.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back