Yggdrasil: A (P)review - Two days of paradise
Apr 27, 2015 at 4:30 AM Post #271 of 393
The latter. Apparently, the Yggy will sound best after few days.

Apr 27, 2015 at 4:45 AM Post #272 of 393
You have to have the DAC on for days before it sounds its best?
Thats nuts, even for audiophile standards.

Apr 27, 2015 at 4:49 AM Post #273 of 393
That's what they say and there was an explanation on purrin's DAC thread.

Apr 27, 2015 at 5:48 AM Post #274 of 393
  You have to have the DAC on for days before it sounds its best?
Thats nuts, even for audiophile standards.

Assume you've read the manual available publicly on the website?

Apr 27, 2015 at 6:21 AM Post #275 of 393

Assume you've read the manual available publicly on the website?

I just did.
Dont get me wrong, Im not worried or bothered by keeping the DAC always-on (after all, fridges run always on), Its just that it will turn into a Heater real quick (my room is rather small). Another issue is that I tend to cut power off to sensitive electronics when leaving home (In Poland thunderstorms are a common occurrence, so im having a problem on this front).

Hmm, I will try to listen to it before I decide between it and the Biforst Uber, but already the Yggy is becoming a problem unless I buy a UPS just for it alone.

Apr 27, 2015 at 6:23 AM Post #276 of 393
  I just did.
Dont get me wrong, Im not worried or bothered by keeping the DAC always-on (after all, fridges run always on), Its just that it will turn into a Heater real quick (my room is rather small). Another issue is that I tend to cut power off to sensitive electronics when leaving home (In Poland thunderstorms are a common occurrence, so im having a problem on this front).

Hmm, I will try to listen to it before I decide between it and the Biforst Uber, but already the Yggy is becoming a problem unless I buy a UPS just for it alone.

Obviously if you are concerned about heat generated by a DAC, you don't have anything like a class A speaker amp running at 57 degrees Celsius within 15minutes of power on...

For the power issues look at this:
www.powerinspired.com/ag500-ac-regenerator-500w-p-1723.html
For £200 you have an UPS and power regen AND might find some SQ improvements.

Apr 27, 2015 at 6:28 AM Post #277 of 393

Obviously if you are concerned about heat generated by a DAC, you don't have anything like a class A speaker amp running at 57 degrees Celsius within 15minutes of power on...

You missunderstood me :D
I am not worried aobut heat generated "when im at home". Then opening windows and using a simple fan will do the trick.
Im worried about heat build up while Im at work/sleeping. Hmm, ill leave the asgard on for a while next weekend to see how much of an Impact it would actually have. 

Perhaps I am worring about something stupid :D.

Apr 27, 2015 at 6:32 AM Post #278 of 393
Don't worry too much - DACs don't generate that much heat.. Most consume something like 30-40W per hour. That's a very dim incadescent light bulb.

Apr 27, 2015 at 6:38 AM Post #279 of 393
  You missunderstood me :D
I am not worried aobut heat generated "when im at home". Then opening windows and using a simple fan will do the trick.
Im worried about heat build up while Im at work/sleeping. Hmm, ill leave the asgard on for a while next weekend to see how much of an Impact it would actually have. 

Perhaps I am worring about something stupid :D.

I don't think you have much to worry about.  According to the specifications on Schiit's website, the Yggdrasil only draws 35 Watts.  This is roughly equivalent to one small light bulb. It most certainly is not enough to heat your room up.  Electrical heaters are typically in the kilowatt range, e.g. 1000 Watts to 2000 Watts.  As a comparison, the Asgard is rated at 30 Watts (so very similar).

Apr 27, 2015 at 8:30 AM Post #280 of 393

I don't think you have much to worry about.  According to the specifications on Schiit's website, the Yggdrasil only draws 35 Watts.  This is roughly equivalent to one small light bulb. It most certainly is not enough to heat your room up.  Electrical heaters are typically in the kilowatt range, e.g. 1000 Watts to 2000 Watts.  As a comparison, the Asgard is rated at 30 Watts (so very similar).

that is around 307kWh, a year. Check local utility bill for conversion to $ per year. 

Apr 27, 2015 at 9:13 AM Post #281 of 393
Quote:Sonic Defender
 How can a student afford a Yggy?
wink.gif

Sell a kidney and burn your wallet. 
blink.gif

Apr 27, 2015 at 9:18 AM Post #282 of 393
Interesting. But I dunno. This is really a topic for Sound Science. There have been various threads there allegedly illustrating how, when properly converted and played back on a proper system, the differences between DSD and PCM are below the threshold of audibility...

I rather detests threads that do not deal with real life and blab about noise levels and dynamic range being beyond a certain threshold...

Duh Like if that was all that matters..
Clearly things are being overlooked as
Every ear bleeding junk cd player has a great dynamic range ..

How can a student afford a Yggy?:wink:

Check paypal credit,
Cred cards & student loans.
:wink:

Donate lots of plasma and er, other bodily fluids?? :blink:

Bood bank..
Sperm bank..
Egg bank (for ladies)..

Tax return + I'm terrible with money. I been spending most of it on audio stuff, but that's only possible because college is free for me (desperate for comp. sci. in my area). Tuition is being covered by the state.

Lets all move to your state
:p

I am concerned about PSU regenerated AC noise so I switched to a "isolation transformer" instead, but if a power loss was an issue I would use both with the transformer after.
:)

Apr 27, 2015 at 10:40 AM Post #284 of 393
For the heavy breathing regarding room heating...

1. Did you ever worry about a 60W light bulb heating up your room? That's two Yggys.

2. A typical electric room heater is 1500W. That's 50 Yggys.

3. I once designed a Class A amp for Sumo that dissipated about 1000W at idle. That's a room heater. 

Schiit Audio Stay updated on Schiit Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Schiit/ http://www.schiit.com/
Apr 27, 2015 at 10:52 AM Post #285 of 393
  just curious if you guys are exclusively using flac with the yiggy. I have a lot of music tracks in 320kbps mp3 that I wouldn't want to render unlistenable by upgrading too hard. anyone have any thoughts on this?

256 kbps AAC is indistinguishable from lossless. Not many people can reliably distinguish between 320 kbps MP3 and lossless either.

I rather detests threads that do not deal with real life and blab about noise levels and dynamic range being beyond a certain threshold...

Duh Like if that was all that matters..
Clearly things are being overlooked as
Every ear bleeding junk cd player has a great dynamic range ..

16-bit files have more than enough dynamic range to handle all recordings in existence. That is not the issue. The issue is that some hardware and software makes DSD and PCM sound different, but when converted properly and played on a proper system, there is no audible difference between DSD and PCM. This has been measured and documented. The burden of proof lies upon anyone claiming to hear a difference to demonstrate that such a perceived difference is real. Like I said before, this is a topic for Sound Science.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back