Yet Another Underrated Can: AKG K240S - Post your K240s love here
Oct 11, 2007 at 8:56 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 25

Rick Hunter

100+ Head-Fier
Well, looks like I have a new "best can under within 100 bucks price range" now - The K240 Studio

Got em little less than 3 weeks ago and after a short (40 hours) burn in with pink noise they easily sound better than anything else I've tried at this pricepoint.

They are sturdy, well built, don't creak, comfy enough and sound good unamped, and really very good when amped with my hornet.

Plus they do isolate from external noise quite a bit.
Nice solid bass, punchy with decent low extension, fantastic midrange - airy and detailed, good highs (a little bit recessed) with realistic decay and more than decent top extension.

Plus they're very versatile, you can listen to anything from hard rock to acoustic, jazz and so on and they score quite well on all fields...

I'd say it's a jack of all trades, master of none.
I love 'em. I don't think you can better for 100 bucks.
icon10.gif

Anyone else loves them?
340smile.gif

Oct 11, 2007 at 9:09 PM Post #3 of 25
Well stands for studio...

Oct 11, 2007 at 9:40 PM Post #4 of 25
I love my K240 Studio. Some of my favorite characteristics about these cans are the imaging, detail, and soundstage they produce. I've found myself looking over my shoulder on more than one occasion; at 3am in the morning, this can be downright spooky!

Whenever I let my friends listen to these, they comment on how clean and clear the music is. Granted, they are not really audiophiles, but it doesn't take a genius to recognize good sound.

I have noticed people here complaining of excess sibilance with these. Although I can't say that I notice it that much. Maybe it is the genres of music I listen to? Electronica mostly, but some rock as well. Dunno..

My only gripe with these cans is the stock cable. It is wimpy and too long. I plan to get a re-cable at some point, most likely when the old one bites the dust.

IMO, for the price, the K240S are solid versatile performers. I do not plan on getting rid of them anytime soon.

~Zip

Oct 12, 2007 at 9:58 PM Post #5 of 25
I enjoy my new K240S very much, they're much better than my old HD485. 10 minutes of music on them so far. What surprised me about these cans is that they sound great right out of the box, unlike some headphones that require more time to sound decent. I believe this to be one of my better purchases.
biggrin.gif

Oct 15, 2007 at 2:06 AM Post #8 of 25
K240S are maybe the best-scaling headphone under $100 typical retail. They're colored, but pleasing in a way, and I was surprised once to find that on a very good amp/source, they were to my ears a bit better than a HD595 and on a par with an SR-125. No competition for the HD580, SR-325i, or RS-1 and 2 I tested in the same sitting, though.

However, they are also my least-favorite K240 iteration. For me it goes 241/early 240M > Sextett > (late non-radiator) 240M > 240S, though some have speculated my Sextetts aren't up to the usual snuff.

Oct 26, 2007 at 7:16 PM Post #9 of 25
I also think the K240 Studio is an underrated can. They are my least expensive cans, but the ones I listen to the most. They are surprisingly versatile and extremely comfortable. Their best quality are (in my opinion) the neutrality and detail of the mids. Of course, they have their flaws, but these flaws are only significant compared to more expensive cans.

I have been using the K240 Studio at work now for several months and they continue to please. Since I don't want to use a desktop amp at work, I picked up a Corda Headsix ($150 plus paypal fees) a couple weeks ago and it works fantastic with the K240 Studio.

I like these cans so much that I've purchased an Equinox cable from a fellow Head-Fier that should be coming in about a week. I'll report on the results, since there aren't too many K240 Studio threads.

Out of all my cans, there is none that I can listen to for as long as the K240 Studio. The SR-225 bowl pads hurt my ears (in about 45 min), and the forward sound becomes fatiguing (in about 1 hour). The DT880 are supremely comfortable but they can sound sibilant with some recordings (not the cans' fault, but still fatiguing nonetheless). The K701 grab your attention with their extraordinary detail and soundstage that it's difficult to listen to for much more than 2 hours or so, although they are my favorite SQ can. RP-21 clamp too hard to be comfortable for more than 1 hour, and have the same problem that Grados have with the forward sound being fatiguing. So for work cans it's a no brainer... the K240 Studio which I can listen to for about 3-4 hours with little to no fatigue and enjoy my taste of Head-Fi until I get home.

Oct 26, 2007 at 7:20 PM Post #10 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by facelvega /img/forum/go_quote.gif
K240S are maybe the best-scaling headphone under $100 typical retail. They're colored, but pleasing in a way, and I was surprised once to find that on a very good amp/source, they were to my ears a bit better than a HD595 and on a par with an SR-125. No competition for the HD580, SR-325i, or RS-1 and 2 I tested in the same sitting, though.

However, they are also my least-favorite K240 iteration. For me it goes 241/early 240M > Sextett > (late non-radiator) 240M > 240S, though some have speculated my Sextetts aren't up to the usual snuff.

This is an interesting comment and one that I whole-heartedly agree with. They improve greatly with amplification and higher quality source, even though they never reach the level of cans like DT880, K701, SR325i in terms of SQ.

Oct 26, 2007 at 7:24 PM Post #11 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by goober-george /img/forum/go_quote.gif
argh what do i do now grado sr 60 or these?!

These cans are completely different beasts.

Portability: SR-60 is portable because the drivers rotate around for storage/packing. K240 Studio is not especially portable. I have trouble putting them in my bag so I usually just carry them in my hands when I move them around.

Sound signature: SR-60 is detailed but very sibilant. K240 Studio is also detailed but with slightly bloated and inaccurate bass, but has far less sibilance because the treble is slightly rolled off.

Comfort and design: SR-60 is an open headphone, high leakage, no isolation, reasonable comfortable with the stock flat pads, but not especially so. K240 Studio is a semi-open design (think Closed design with some vents), low leakage, low isolation, very comfortable with stock pleather pads.

Oct 26, 2007 at 7:47 PM Post #12 of 25
This looks like something in my price range. I've been looking at the AH-D1000s. How do these compare in comfort, sound, isolation, and portability/bulkiness? These 'phones will be strictly for use with an ipod and unamped.

Oct 26, 2007 at 7:59 PM Post #13 of 25
Lots 'o luv here...................the k240S were the last "standard-price" headphones I retained. They are the best with minimal modding (thinner foam, and some like Beyer Velours on them).

Oct 26, 2007 at 9:17 PM Post #15 of 25
I should add that when I first used the K240 Studio, I found them unacceptable for rock/punk/alternative because the slow, bloated bass could not keep up with the music (too slow of a decay).

But lately I've been doing more listening to my K240 Studio with my new amp, the Corda Headsix, and throwing very fast rock/punk/alternative at it. It seems to do a much much better job with this pairing, although still not up to Grado-level quality.

Overall, it stands to reason that those that like the K240 Studio enjoy its sound signature and have found a source and amp combo that corrects some of its weaknesses (in particular, the slow, bloated bass). And it's not surprising to me why many may write off the K240 Studio upon the first listen. Since it is so amp and source-dependent, it's not assured that you will get good results with just any rig.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back