Yet another problem with my pimeta
Aug 3, 2004 at 4:04 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 47

Madcat05

100+ Head-Fier
Ok so my pimeta has been working fine for the last couple days. Today I got a new ad8620, I put it in to test and when I turned the power on, the amp doesn't turn on.

The led isn't lit. I've tried a new switch with no luck. I've checked my solder points and appear to be the same as they were.

anyone have some ideas as to what the problem is?

EDIT. I also desoldered the switch and left rca jack to see if they fit my case. That was the last thing changed to the amp.

Aug 3, 2004 at 8:45 PM Post #2 of 47
I just measured the voltages of each battery with the amp on and the amp is recieving power. When I tried the amp earlier there was no sound.

I'll try the amp again later.

Aug 3, 2004 at 10:46 PM Post #3 of 47
Quote:

I put it in to test and when I turned the power on, the amp doesn't turn on.

Did you put it in in the right direction? There is a square pad on the adapter that is pin 1. The text on the chip will be upside down when the notch on the socket is upward and the chip is inserted correctly.

Aug 4, 2004 at 1:24 AM Post #5 of 47
What happens when you replace the previous chip?

Aug 4, 2004 at 2:40 AM Post #6 of 47
I put a TL082 in and the amp's led still isn't lit.

Last night I was finishing up the case, and I had to place the board in the case a few times with the components hooked up. I had to bend back some of the wires a few times as they are a tad long. Could that have affected anything.

I really think a wire must be loose. But the amp is getting power.

Aug 5, 2004 at 3:05 PM Post #9 of 47
I tired measuring from the PG pad to the input jacks but I get 0.

Aug 5, 2004 at 6:11 PM Post #10 of 47
So the jacks are broken or the source is. Or the interconnect cable, I suppose.

Change these three one at a time until something fixes it. I'd start with the jacks, since you say you were messing with them.

Aug 5, 2004 at 6:38 PM Post #11 of 47
What would explain the LED not being lit?

My source is fine I just tried it. I'll try the interconnect now since I don't have any more rca jacks right now.

Aug 5, 2004 at 6:49 PM Post #12 of 47
Quote:

Originally Posted by Madcat05
I tired measuring from the PG pad to the input jacks but I get 0.

Sorry for asking, but "0" what? What was your meter set to?
I suppose you've checked that there is voltage reaching the chip's supply pins (as suggested in tangent's article)?

Aug 5, 2004 at 6:57 PM Post #13 of 47
The 0 was on the Voltage scale.

I just measured from PG to all the pins on the Ad8620 and I get 0V.

Aug 5, 2004 at 7:14 PM Post #14 of 47
Quote:

Originally Posted by Madcat05
The 0 was on the Voltage scale.

AC or DC ? (
very_evil_smiley.gif
)

Quote:

I just measured from PG to all the pins on the Ad8620 and I get 0V.

So there's no power reaching the chip? Start from the battery and check voltages along the supply path...

Aug 5, 2004 at 7:21 PM Post #15 of 47
I'm pretty sure it was AC. On my meter I used the scale with the capital A with a line and two dots above it.

I've measured from the pads where the battery straps are soldered and I get about 8.75V on each pad which is about 18V. And I'm using two 9v batterys.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back