Yet another "excersise headphone recomendation" thread
Dec 13, 2015 at 6:09 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

trunolimit

100+ Head-Fier
Hello all,

I have gone through a lot of headphones in the gym. None where sports themed so I thought I would find some sports centered headphones. Easier said than done. All the sports wireless headphones are in-ear. I have yet to come across an excesses wireless over the ear headphone.

Any suggestions? I'd like to keep it as close to $50 as possible.

Dec 13, 2015 at 8:30 PM Post #2 of 13
  Hello all,

I have gone through a lot of headphones in the gym. None where sports themed so I thought I would find some sports centered headphones. Easier said than done. All the sports wireless headphones are in-ear. I have yet to come across an excesses wireless over the ear headphone.

Any suggestions? I'd like to keep it as close to $50 as possible.

Man let me be completely honest with you, I would try an save up an spend around $250 on a Sennhesier HD 25-1. I use that in the gym my self an it's TOUGH as nails. Otherwise, with anything around $50 you might wind up buying 2 or 3 more headphones like that just to get your through a year

trust me it's worth saving up for a well built headphone. It costs your more up front but less overall 

Dec 15, 2015 at 8:33 AM Post #3 of 13
Man let me be completely honest with you, I would try an save up an spend around $250 on a Sennhesier HD 25-1. I use that in the gym my self an it's TOUGH as nails. Otherwise, with anything around $50 you might wind up buying 2 or 3 more headphones like that just to get your through a year

trust me it's worth saving up for a well built headphone. It costs your more up front but less overall 

I had a pair of those a few years ago. They sounded amazing. I got rid of them because on ear headphones have a small sound stage in general.

I'm supprised you think they are tough. They are all plastic. My problem is the left ear keeps going out on all my cheap headphones. I think its due to sweat. I was looking at the amperiors for a while before I settled on the momentums.

Dec 15, 2015 at 11:08 AM Post #4 of 13
I had a pair of those a few years ago. They sounded amazing. I got rid of them because on ear headphones have a small sound stage in general.

I'm supprised you think they are tough. They are all plastic. My problem is the left ear keeps going out on all my cheap headphones. I think its due to sweat. I was looking at the amperiors for a while before I settled on the momentums.

Well plastic can be very rugged, it has qualities like metal. It's elastic an can reform it self after bends, the problem with "plastic" is a lot of company employ the use very cheap plastic which can be very brittle, the same can be said for metals

with regards to the sound stage, frankly the HD 25-1 scales nicely, if your listening to it with a low end source then yes the sound stage is disappoiting, how ever when I source it out of something like my HM 901 line out to my ibasso PB2 it sounds wonderful!

Though for use at the gym, for me, I want a TOUGH headphone I also listen to mainly Drum n bass tracks while I'm working out, so I don't really see a need for a HUGE sound stage

my point is the replaceable ear Pads an overall tough nature of the HD 25, make it ideal imo. I've used cheaper headphones before an I had simmilar issue, with losing a channel from sweat 

Dec 15, 2015 at 2:55 PM Post #5 of 13
http://www.amazon.com/Sennheiser-OCX-685i-Adidas-Headphones/dp/B00ZAF2DRI/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1450209262&sr=8-1-spons&keywords=sennheiser+adidas&psc=1

/endthread

EDIT:  I didn't see that the OP is not considering in-ear options.  My apologies

Dec 15, 2015 at 10:54 PM Post #6 of 13
  http://www.amazon.com/Sennheiser-OCX-685i-Adidas-Headphones/dp/B00ZAF2DRI/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1450209262&sr=8-1-spons&keywords=sennheiser+adidas&psc=1

/endthread

well if you can do ear Buds those seem like a great deal, sadly for me I can't take anything IN my ear 

Dec 16, 2015 at 12:55 AM Post #7 of 13
These http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00NBMI5X8/ref=mp_s_a_1_1?qid=1450245243&sr=8-1&pi=SY200_QL40&keywords=Sony+as800ap&dpPl=1&dpID=31N%2BARWbeUL&ref=plSrch

Super fun iem imo. What I currently use right now in the gym

Dec 16, 2015 at 8:37 AM Post #8 of 13

/endthread

I was just about to suggest that.

Some use the Koss KSC75 while exercising, however its earpads will probably soak up plenty of sweat. The KSC75 is open, yet still has plenty of bass. It is especially good for runners who need to be able to hear their surroundings(while the volume is kept low).

http://www.amazon.com/Koss-KSC75-Portable-Stereophone-Headphones/dp/B0006B486K/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1450272614&sr=8-1&keywords=KSC75

Some use the JVC HAEB75 when they need to hear their surroundings. It has decent enough treble and midrange to use while exercising, however it is bass  deficient, and needs to be boosted by around 10 db using the players equilizer. It is very comfortable though, with rubber ear hooks, and is listed as being sweat proof.

http://www.amazon.com/JVC-HAEB75B-Sports-Headphone-Black/dp/B003AIL2HE/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1450272932&sr=8-1&keywords=Ha-eb75

Dec 16, 2015 at 8:50 AM Post #9 of 13
check out the MONK....see my signature.

Dec 16, 2015 at 6:04 PM Post #10 of 13
Well plastic can be very rugged, it has qualities like metal. It's elastic an can reform it self after bends, the problem with "plastic" is a lot of company employ the use very cheap plastic which can be very brittle, the same can be said for metals

with regards to the sound stage, frankly the HD 25-1 scales nicely, if your listening to it with a low end source then yes the sound stage is disappoiting, how ever when I source it out of something like my HM 901 line out to my ibasso PB2 it sounds wonderful!

Though for use at the gym, for me, I want a TOUGH headphone I also listen to mainly Drum n bass tracks while I'm working out, so I don't really see a need for a HUGE sound stage

my point is the replaceable ear Pads an overall tough nature of the HD 25, make it ideal imo. I've used cheaper headphones before an I had simmilar issue, with losing a channel from sweat 

I was playing them with an ipod classic (the non crappy gen) with a LOD to a fiio e17 (man I use to love that thing). I just couldn't get the hd25s to open up. I loved how they sounded but I felt like I could do better with full sized headphones. So I jumped to the momentums. Which i eventually gave up for some Kef m500s. I eventually lost them by leaving them on a train (i really hope they found a happy home).

Now I'm upgraded to a gen 1 fiio x5 with a pair of PSB m4u 1. Unfortunately i don't dare take those to the gym.

Anyway back on topic, I did see that the koss 35 were being recommended on some other threads. The sweat thing is what keeps me from jumping on them. Everyone has great things to say about them.

Dec 16, 2015 at 6:15 PM Post #11 of 13
I was playing them with an ipod classic (the non crappy gen) with a LOD to a fiio e17 (man I use to love that thing). I just couldn't get the hd25s to open up. I loved how they sounded but I felt like I could do better with full sized headphones. So I jumped to the momentums. Which i eventually gave up for some Kef m500s. I eventually lost them by leaving them on a train (i really hope they found a happy home).

Now I'm upgraded to a gen 1 fiio x5 with a pair of PSB m4u 1. Unfortunately i don't dare take those to the gym.

Anyway back on topic, I did see that the koss 35 were being recommended on some other threads. The sweat thing is what keeps me from jumping on them. Everyone has great things to say about them.

ooh the Koss 35, now that might be a good happy meduim! I had the Koss Porta Pro an I enjoyed the sound of it very much! 

Dec 16, 2015 at 6:46 PM Post #12 of 13
  ooh the Koss 35, now that might be a good happy meduim! I had the Koss Porta Pro an I enjoyed the sound of it very much! 

I didn't like the KSC 35 very much. It is treble deficient, and has the same murky midrange and bass as the Portapro. It also had uncomfortable plastic ear clips. The Koss KSC75 though has much better highs and midrange detail. It also has ear clips with metal wires in them, which can bent to give a customized fit. The KSC35 probably had the same drivers as the Portapro(and Sportapro), while the KSC75 probably has the same drivers as the KTXpro 1. I don't recommend buying the KTXpro1 though unless you have a very small head.

Dec 16, 2015 at 7:12 PM Post #13 of 13
  I didn't like the KSC 35 very much. It is treble deficient, and has the same murky midrange and bass as the Portapro. It also had uncomfortable plastic ear clips. The Koss KSC75 though has much better highs and midrange detail. It also has ear clip with metal wires in them, which can bent to give a customized fit. The KSC35 probably had the same drivers as the Portapro(and Sportapro), while the KSC75 probably has the same drivers as the KTXpro 1. I don't recommend buying the KTXpro1 though unless you have a very small head.

Oh nice they are priced a little under the KSC 35, I'm not as farmillar with the Koss Drivers as I'd like to be 

still I have heard good things about the 75, the Sporta an Porta are what I'm farmillar with 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back