Yesterday, I lost my tube virginity...
Mar 12, 2005 at 1:34 PM Post #46 of 57
Comabereni,

Some of those tubes you list arent even close to being compatible. You should stick with the manufacturers recommendations or ask about a particular tube before you use them.

Mar 12, 2005 at 9:21 PM Post #47 of 57
Quote:

Originally Posted by sacd lover
Comabereni,

Some of those tubes you list arent even close to being compatible. You should stick with the manufacturers recommendations or ask about a particular tube before you use them.

The designer lists a handful of tubes and suggests there are probably many others you could try. I spent some time this morning looking at photographs of many of the 12xx6 tubes from that list and many of them look geometrically compatible while others are obviously not. Some that look compatible are described as pentodes rather than triode/dual diode. Still, I suspect some/many of these would work. Since the amp is DIY, it probably wouldn't be much of an issue to recover from an occasional mistake.

I think I'm going to venture out a little into this unknown territory. Lots of these tubes are available on Ebay for less than $2/ea. You could have a lot of fun for a long time with $20/month.

-coma

Mar 13, 2005 at 3:36 AM Post #48 of 57
Quote:

Originally Posted by sony_man
im some what relieved that this is actually what you guys are talking about!

I'm relieved that none of the big power tubes are involved!
very_evil_smiley.gif

Mar 14, 2005 at 5:00 PM Post #49 of 57
comabereni,

I would at least suggest looking at the datasheets for the tubes before buying and trying. Two of the substitutions mentioned by Pete in the article have a very high amplification factor, somewhere around 50. I don't think you'd enjoy such a high gain. I find the 12AE6A almost too much at 12-15.

Hope this helps.

Mar 18, 2005 at 9:33 PM Post #50 of 57
I received an order of tubes that included the 12EL6. This tube is specifically mentioned in Pete's audioXpress article as one that might work (along with the 12AE6, 12AE6A, 12FM6, 12AJ6, 12FK6, 12FT6).

Well, it doesn't work. At least not in my amp. They burn brightly, but no sound at all. The bias on both tubes is locked hard at something like 27 volts (I run my amp at 29 volts)--can't dial them down. This sounds similar to the results recently posted in the DIY forum regarding the use of 12AT6 and 12AV6 tubes. In that thread, Pete is quoted as saying the AT and AV tubes require much higher voltage--perhaps this is the problem with the 12EL6 as well. So for now, it appears the 12EL6, 12AT6, and 12AV6 probably won't work properly, unless both my NOS 12EL6's are defective or another brand would work (not likely). Someone suggested that the 12AE6 won't work, but I have four 12AE6 tubes now and they all work fine in my amp. They do seem to sound a bit different from the 12AE6A--perhaps less detailed, less bass... inferior to the 12AE6A, IMO.

BTW, I personally like how the 12FM6 sounds: dark, tubey, liquid, smooth, laid back, bassy, etc. I only received one 12AJ6 unfortunately, but this tube has been commented on already.

-coma

Jun 14, 2006 at 1:43 PM Post #51 of 57
First of all, thanks for the info on tube rolling contained here. I'm embarking down the Millet path in a few days and I'll need this info. One question I do have is: I have a set of Grado SR125's that I'll be pairing with this amp and I was wondering about tube suggestions when paired with these cans. I love the Grado sound but find the mid/highs to be a bit jangling and would like a bit more bass. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Jun 14, 2006 at 2:44 PM Post #52 of 57
Quote:

Originally Posted by Traddad
First of all, thanks for the info on tube rolling contained here. I'm embarking down the Millet path in a few days and I'll need this info. One question I do have is: I have a set of Grado SR125's that I'll be pairing with this amp and I was wondering about tube suggestions when paired with these cans. I love the Grado sound but find the mid/highs to be a bit jangling and would like a bit more bass. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Traddad,

I'm assuming you're using bowl pads on your Grados. I recommend trying flat pads...........That should give you the sound you're looking for.

Jun 14, 2006 at 5:04 PM Post #53 of 57
The 12FM6 tube is bassy and kind of rolled off in the highs. It has a nice midrange. You might like it with the SR125. I use 12FK6 with my HF-1, but then the HF-1 is not as bright/harsh as SR125, plus I use radioshack pads (with holes cut out) for an even more non-fatiguing sound.

Jun 14, 2006 at 10:06 PM Post #54 of 57
Quote:

Originally Posted by slindeman
The 12FM6 tube is bassy and kind of rolled off in the highs. It has a nice midrange.

I'd second this recommendation with regard the 12FM6, of the 3 choices I think it'll work the best based on the sound you're looking for.

Jun 14, 2006 at 10:10 PM Post #55 of 57
Wow, talk about a blast from the past! Good choice on amplification, I'm still using and loving my Millet, although it's a bigger brother of my old one.

I'll recommend the 12FM6 tubes as well, but I'd also suggest you check out the 12AE6A for kicks
tongue.gif

Jun 28, 2006 at 4:57 AM Post #56 of 57
[size=x-large]BAM! BACK FROM THE DEAD AGAIN BABY![/size]

I *JUST* bought a Millett - got pretty lucky, messaged a DIY'er here and he had just completed one and was willing to sell.

It should get here in a week or so (because I live all the way in the land down under).

I can't wait - this too will be my first taste of Tubes. It will come with Matched RCA 12FK6.

I am definately keen on tube rolling though - does anyone from Australia know a good tube retailer - or can anyone here recommend a tube retailer who ships internationally.

Jul 5, 2006 at 11:42 PM Post #57 of 57
Received my Millett Hybrid yesterday courtesy of MisterX.

I bought a very standard version, but I have to say that this little amp kicks ass. It is my first experience with Tube Amplification, but it has an immediate sonic difference to my M^3.

Somehow, the sound has different characteristics. The music is very smooth - I was listening to Eric Clapton Unplugged and it sounded really fantastic. But at the same time I felt certain peices of the music had more detail compared to my M^3, at least it felt more fluid. I noticed the high's with my 325i's were extended and the bass was also sufficient, although I wouldn't say it had a HUGE punch, but it was definatley noticble. I similarly noticed that the bass guitar was hard to get a definate catch on with this cd - it sounded kind of meshed in with the rest of it. I will need to do more listening and find out if the same thing occured with the M^3.

Overall though I am very happy with this amp. It came at a really cheap price, and allows me to listen to full cd's without needing to take a break.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back