Yesterday, I lost my tube virginity...
Feb 5, 2005 at 4:45 AM Post #17 of 57
Quote:

Originally Posted by Thaddy
Do you have any pictures of your Millet and STEPS? I don't think it would be worth it to build one, I'd rather sell some amps and mave save some to buy a better tube amp.

Here are some pics, though the amp has changed a bit since then. http://www6.head-fi.org/forums/showthread.php?t=100505

You'll be amazed at what an difference a better PS makes. The STEPS only costs about $70 total.

Feb 5, 2005 at 4:48 AM Post #18 of 57
After some more listening with the 12FM6's, I think it's safe to say now that I prefer the 12FK6's. Compared to the 12FK6's high end, the 12FM6's seem to be lacking a certain level of detail. Actually, it's not that they lack detail, they just aren't as articulate. The 12FK6's sound much more clear and sharp. I'm thinking of trying out some 12AE6's as well, since dsavitsk said some good things about them, even though I'm using an Elpac.

One question though, does anyone think it would be a good idea to pony up about $30 for some dampers? I'm kinda tempted to, but A) not if it will make a noticeable difference and B) the price is kinda steep for 2. Anybody know where to get them cheaper?

Also, thanks for the kind words mjg, I'm certainly enjoying it so far!

edit: Wow, dsavitsk, that is really nice. I don't think I'll get a Steps for this Millet, but I'm discovering that I really like the sound, so a nicer version could be in the future.

Feb 5, 2005 at 6:09 AM Post #19 of 57
Quote:

One question though, does anyone think it would be a good idea to pony up about $30 for some dampers? I'm kinda tempted to, but A) not if it will make a noticeable difference and B) the price is kinda steep for 2. Anybody know where to get them cheaper?

I would doubt that it would make much difference (certainly not 1/2 of a PS). Though if you do get some, keep in mind that these are really small tubes and most dampers won't fit. I have some of the very small ones from Percy Audio. They are super cheap, but even they are too big for these tubes. I would just enjoy the amp for a while -- particularly if it is new as it will continue to burn in for a long time.

Quote:

edit: Wow, dsavitsk, that is really nice.

Thanks

Feb 5, 2005 at 6:24 AM Post #20 of 57
Herbie's Audio has a 90-Day return policy, so I think I might go ahead and pull the trigger. Hey, if they don't work out, then at least I've gained some more knowledge
cool.gif

Feb 5, 2005 at 3:39 PM Post #22 of 57
Ok guys, some morning listening has spurred more thoughts into my head! Call me crazy, but here they are!

Now, I'm going to use coffee as an example, so bear with me. Imagine taking a sip of some black coffee. It has that nice robust taste that makes you grunt "Ooooohh yeah...". Well, that's the Millet and what I think of when I hear the low end go to work. But, it's not all in the low end. Toss in 2 packets of sugar for that sweet midrange and high end
smily_headphones1.gif
Now, the PPA is like a cappucino, very sweet and refreshing. It has a delicate high end, and a very smooth texture that goes down easy...however, supplies enough low end "grunt" to keep your foot tapping.

Feb 5, 2005 at 3:59 PM Post #23 of 57
Nice looking Millet Hybrid! And thanks for your review.

I've been using the Millet Hybrid for a year now, and I agree that it is a great amp. I also use the Elpac to power it. I like it enough I'm building a second one with a better PS.

As far as tubes go, I've got 2 kinds of 12AE6A (Sylvania, RCA), 3 kinds of 12FK6 (Westinghouse, Raytheon, RCA), and 1 kind of 12FM6 (Sylvania). 12FM6 is my least favorite. It has a warm laid back sound that is relaxing but somewhat boring and lacking detail. 12AE6A is the most dynamic sounding with punchy bass, good detail, and a great midrange. 12FK6 has the best soundstage and more detail. If pressed to pick a favorite, I think it would be 12AE6A.

As a side note to the tubes, be aware that for best channel matching you should buy multiple tubes of the same type and match them in your amp. If you buy just a pair, you may find they are mismatched by 4dB or more! I've got over 20 of these tubes now.

Feb 5, 2005 at 4:06 PM Post #24 of 57
Quote:

Originally Posted by slindeman
Nice looking Millet Hybrid! And thanks for your review.

I've been using the Millet Hybrid for a year now, and I agree that it is a great amp. I also use the Elpac to power it. I like it enough I'm building a second one with a better PS.

As far as tubes go, I've got 2 kinds of 12AE6A (Sylvania, RCA), 3 kinds of 12FK6 (Westinghouse, Raytheon, RCA), and 1 kind of 12FM6 (Sylvania). 12FM6 is my least favorite. It has a warm laid back sound that is relaxing but somewhat boring and lacking detail. 12AE6A is the most dynamic sounding with punchy bass, good detail, and a great midrange. 12FK6 has the best soundstage and more detail. If pressed to pick a favorite, I think it would be 12AE6A.

As a side note to the tubes, be aware that for best channel matching you should buy multiple tubes of the same type and match them in your amp. If you buy just a pair, you may find they are mismatched by 4dB or more! I've got over 20 of these tubes now.

Thanks for those tubes recommendations! I did some reading last night and decided that I was going to buy 4 12AE6's. Also, I'm thinking that another Millet is in the future, only with a Steps and maybe some other goodies.

Also, where do you buy your tubes from? I'm noticing that they are generally $5 a pop.

Feb 5, 2005 at 4:23 PM Post #25 of 57
Quote:

Thanks for those tubes recommendations! I did some reading last night and decided that I was going to buy 4 12AE6's. Also, I'm thinking that another Millet is in the future, only with a Steps and maybe some other goodies.

Also, where do you buy your tubes from? I'm noticing that they are generally $5 a pop.

This is a
cool.gif
amp. I had never seen anyone use these low voltage tubes before. This amp is a hybrid with a solid state output stage right? By the way, you have a pm.

Feb 5, 2005 at 4:28 PM Post #26 of 57
You're only on 2nd base man since it's hybrid
tongue.gif
In addition, tube output gets you to 3rd. Tube rectifier gets you home
biggrin.gif

Tube rolling is crazy I tell you. Good luck and have fun with your new amp
smily_headphones1.gif

Feb 5, 2005 at 4:28 PM Post #27 of 57
Quote:

I bought some from tubesandmore.com, and some from theTubeStore.com. I know I've seen a few others that sell them too, can't remember where though. The prices seem to vary. I've paid $3 per 12AE6A, and I've paid over $6 too. www.tubesandmore.com has 12AE6A for around $3 each right now.

Feb 5, 2005 at 4:32 PM Post #28 of 57
Quote:

Originally Posted by slindeman
I bought some from tubesandmore.com, and some from theTubeStore.com. I know I've seen a few others that sell them too, can't remember where though. The prices seem to vary. I've paid $3 per 12AE6A, and I've paid over $6 too. www.tubesandmore.com has 12AE6A for around $3 each right now.

Thanks slindeman, and btw...YGPM.

Thank sacd lover in advance, he's helping both of us out
cool.gif

Feb 5, 2005 at 4:35 PM Post #29 of 57
Quote:

Originally Posted by lan
You're only on 2nd base man since it's hybrid
tongue.gif
In addition, tube output gets you to 3rd. Tube rectifier gets you home
biggrin.gif

Tube rolling is crazy I tell you. Good luck and have fun with your new amp
smily_headphones1.gif

I though the tubes were for output, but it uses buffers like the solid state amps
confused.gif
I don't know that much about DIY, so sorry if I'm way off. Maybe I should get someone to fit a Larocco Diamond Buffer onto it...
eek.gif

Feb 5, 2005 at 6:22 PM Post #30 of 57
Another update...

It's still totally rocking my face off. Dream Theater, Within Temptation, and of course...Tool, are all being played at a new level. This is an incredible separation between the bass *tones* and *punch*. I still can't get over how non-muddy (I just made that word up!) it sounds, while still having such awesome impact.

What also keeps my jaw on the floor is how smooth the midrage is. This is mostly the 0404 showing off, but the Millet has a much smoother sound than the PPA. This reminds me of the liquid gold mid-range the AKG K501's are famed for. The sound is richer and darker, just like my coffee example a few posts back.

Soundstage? Yup, it's all there. The AV-710 doesn't come close to the 0404, which the PPA and Millet exploit very well, as I now feel like I'm sitting in a huge concert hall with about 350 artists at my disposal
smily_headphones1.gif

The one area where the PPA takes the cake is the high end detail. I still prefer how articulate it is at reproducing delicate high end sounds. The Millet seems to have a longer decay, which can give the impression the highs being blended together. The PPA's decay is quicker and exact.

Most notably is the song Lateralus, in the middle when the song calms down, Danny is tapping the high hat cymbol (I think that's what it's called) while keeping a different beat with the kick drums. This part begins a minute or so long buildup to the final climax. The Millet gives this a more natural sound, like you are sitting in the studio with Danny. However, the PPA's reproduction of that sound reminds me a little of the ER-4S, mainly for the extreme separation and fast decay. The PPA doesn't sound as warm as the Millet too.

So that's it for this update, maybe I'll have more in store later
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back