Yesterday, I lost my tube virginity...
Feb 6, 2005 at 5:07 AM Post #33 of 57
Uh oh, it looks like we'll have another set of ears joining the dark side in a few months
evil_smiley.gif

Mar 10, 2005 at 7:05 PM Post #34 of 57
Reviving this thread--I just got some new tubes in. My Millett amp came with 12AE6's. I kept them in for almost five months and enjoyed the sound a lot. Playing with voltage and bias, I accidentally fried one tube (the amp doesn't like 36 volts
biggrin.gif
) and popped in the 12AE6A's I had in reserve. I think the sound improved with the "A"'s--I wish I could A/B the two, but I don't have a second 12AE6. Going by memory, I think the 12AE6A is more dynamic and detailed sounding than the 12AE6. I'll have to revisit this with a future purchase of a few more 12AE6's.

Today I have a NOS pair of 12FK6's in and I am experiencing more soundstage and what seems like more detail. The bass seems emphasized, but I'm not sure it's more articulate compared with the 12AE6A. I'd say the biggest change with the 12FK6 is soundstage--the midrange is still there but sounds a little more recessed. The treble might be a bit faster, but again, it sounds a little recessed and "lighter". It's a good sound overall--fun for rock (because of the bass and the detail) and symphony (because of the soundstage), but I prefer the 12AE6A for intimate vocals, musical ballads, etc. Oh, and I was surprised by how much I like the sound of jazz with this tube--it's more "analytical" rather than "intimate"--just the way I like to listen to jazz. I suppose I could describe the 12FK6 as leaning somewhat toward a quality solid state sound ("dryer"). Trumpets sound great--this is the Miles Davis tube
wink.gif

Well, that's all I bought--5 new 12AE6A's and 5 12FK6's. Anyone else have a recommendation? And by the way, Antique Electronics seems to be the place to buy cheap tubes for this amp. I think the 12FK6's were $1.80/ea and the 12AE6A's were $3.10/ea. They shipped the same day I ordered and I had them the next day.

-coma

P.S. Oh yes, the 12FK6's are more fun to look at than the 12AE6A since they burn brighter. And so does the 12AE6
tongue.gif
. That's important you know...

Mar 10, 2005 at 9:18 PM Post #35 of 57
(Later that day...)

I've been listening for a few hours now and really like the 12FK6. The tube is articulate, the expanded soundstage is pleasing, and it does nice bass. While some may like a more fluid, intimate sound, I definitely prefer this for jazz.

My wife came in and offered her impressions: "It's breathy." "Orchestra pieces sound great." "Instruments are flawless." On the flip-side: "It sounds less live--a bit more like a radio." "I prefer the other tube (12AE6A) for voices." Overall, she prefers the 12AE6A.

I'd enjoy hearing more tube recommendations for this amp.

-coma

Mar 11, 2005 at 12:22 AM Post #36 of 57
Great summary of the differences. I like both tubes a lot, but tend to use the 12FK6 because of the lower gain. The other two tubes that work are 12FM6 and 12FT6. 12FM6 I don't like so well, it seems overly tubey with a thick dark sound that is laid back and a bit dull. It might work well with other headphones, but not with my HD650 or K240S. 12FT6 I've never seen for sale, so I don't know much about it.

Mar 11, 2005 at 12:42 AM Post #37 of 57
Quote:

Originally Posted by slindeman
Great summary of the differences. I like both tubes a lot, but tend to use the 12FK6 because of the lower gain. The other two tubes that work are 12FM6 and 12FT6. 12FM6 I don't like so well, it seems overly tubey with a thick dark sound that is laid back and a bit dull. It might work well with other headphones, but not with my HD650 or K240S. 12FT6 I've never seen for sale, so I don't know much about it.

Neat--I'll have to pick up some 12FT6's. Since all these tubes are so reasonably priced, perhaps some 12FM6's too just for fun. I looked in my stash of stuff and found I have two good 12AE6's (non-"A" versions). I just put them in, so haven't done much listening yet, but they do sound different. I've got an ear infection that's getting worse--I'll have to post impressions later on when I pull the Cipro-soaked cotton out of my left ear. My wife said they sound muddier, slower and more bass-heavy. They do seem more laid back, doing the best I can through my temporary hearing impairment.

-coma

P.S. We'll have to get together sometime Slindeman--it looks like we live close to each other.

Mar 11, 2005 at 1:05 AM Post #38 of 57
I just noticed this thread was revived, and I've had enough time with my 12AE6A's and 12FK6's to comment on them, but I will do this later. I think we should put together some collective thoughts on all the possible tubes for the Millet, since I want to pick up some matched 12FM6's and 12FT6's.

Currently I have some Westinghouse and Tung-Sol 12FK6's, and these Du-Mont 12AE6A's. I'd like to get another set of 12AE6A's, as well as some other tubes to try
smily_headphones1.gif

Anyways, I'll offer up some thoughts later!

Mar 11, 2005 at 1:20 AM Post #39 of 57
Quote:

Originally Posted by Thaddy
I just noticed this thread was revived, and I've had enough time with my 12AE6A's and 12FK6's to comment on them, but I will do this later. I think we should put together some collective thoughts on all the possible tubes for the Millet, since I want to pick up some matched 12FM6's and 12FT6's.

Currently I have some Westinghouse and Tung-Sol 12FK6's, and these Du-Mont 12AE6A's. I'd like to get another set of 12AE6A's, as well as some other tubes to try
smily_headphones1.gif

Anyways, I'll offer up some thoughts later!

I'd enjoy having more discussion on Millett tube choices. For the record, all five 12FK6's I received are different brands (Sylvania, CBS, Tung-Sol, RCA, GE), so I paired up two sets that look alike (possibly the same manufacturer) and left the odd one out. The 12AE6A's my wife drools over are GE's. I have several of those. I have one odd Tung Sol 12AE6A and an odd Raytheon 12AE6A. The pair of 12AE6's are different brands (Raytheon, Tung Sol).

I'm not sure these same model, different brand tubes in fact sound very different from each other and I'm not anal enough to worry about it too much. I think I bought all but the very last 12FK6 from Antique Electronics until they restock--thus the odd lot.

-coma

Mar 11, 2005 at 1:22 AM Post #40 of 57
Tung-Sol 12FK6 - These are my favorites so far! They have a really balanced sound. The low end is very resolved and has nice extension. The midrange sounds wonderful, nice and smooth, however...I feel it's a tad recessed. It reminds me of the K501's actually. Strings and female voices have a nice warmth behind them, which I'm assuming is the "tube" sound. The highs seem to stick out a bit more, but not to the point of being piercing or accentuated. If I could fix one thing with these tubes, it would be a tad more aggressive midrange.

Du-Mont 12AE6A's - These take the back seat, but only in certain situations. These tubes sound awesome for rock, as they provide much more punch (physical slam) in the low end. The midrange is also a bit more aggressive and forward, but lacks the smooth sound and soundstage of the 12FK6's. The high end, while satisfying, tends to be drowned out by the punchy low end. This is ok with me though, I'm not doing critical listening while groovin' to Dream Theater or Tool, I just want to rock out
smily_headphones1.gif

Anyways, I'd like to get my hands on a nicer matched set of 12AE6A's, as I've never really heard of this brand, and I guess that can have a big part of the sound. Any suggestions where to pick up some nice 12AE6A's, as well as 12FM6's and 12FT6's?

edit: Just remembered...Radio Electric Supply carries 12AE6A's, 12FK6's, and 12FM6's. The prices are reasonable and they have a good selection of brands, you should check them out. So far on my list I have some GE 12AE6A's and RCA 12FM6's.

edit 2: Comabereni, I just realized I have a single Westinghouse 12FK6 that works fine, but I don't need it, I already have 2 others of the same. Want it?

Mar 11, 2005 at 1:35 AM Post #41 of 57
All the 12AE6A's I received from Antique Electronics ($3.10/ea) were GE models. You'd probably get the same thing if you ordered unless they reach the bottom of the barrel.

The GE 12AE6A's sound very nice and, as mentioned up-thread, provide the sound preferred by my wife (and by me too for vocals or where midrange is most important). They are far less recessed than the 12FK6 and have punch as you describe, but these GE tubes seem as smooth, maybe smoother, than the 12FK6's I've tried.

-coma

Edit: Thaddy, Sure I'll take your Westinghouse 12FK6--then I'll have six that don't match
tongue.gif
. Don't know if it's worth paying the shipping for though. PM me. Perhaps I can do something about the ragged holes in your case in exchange for a tube or two.

Mar 11, 2005 at 6:41 PM Post #42 of 57
for 12AE6A I have RCA and Sylvania.
for 12FK6 I have Westinghouse, RCA, and Raytheon
for 12FM6 I have Sylvania

I don't notice much difference between brands, at least compared to the difference between tube types.

My summaries:

12FK6 - Strength is soundstage and detail. The least lush of the three.
12AE6A - Strength is midrange and bass punch/dynamics.
12FM6 - Strength is a laid back sound (if you like that). Not enough treble for me. Bass is strong but not punchy.

Mar 12, 2005 at 6:24 AM Post #43 of 57
Quote:

Originally Posted by slindeman
My summaries:

12FK6 - Strength is soundstage and detail. The least lush of the three.
12AE6A - Strength is midrange and bass punch/dynamics.
12FM6 - Strength is a laid back sound (if you like that). Not enough treble for me. Bass is strong but not punchy.

Slindeman, I agree whole-heartedly. I spent most of today going between my Tung-Sol 12FK6's and the Du-Mont 12AE6A's. Your thoughts are right on par with what I'm hearing on my end
600smile.gif

Maybe I'll get another set of 12AE6A's and a set of 12FM6's to try out, then I can have it all!

Mar 12, 2005 at 7:16 AM Post #44 of 57
I bought more tubes today:

12AJ6
12EL6
12FM6
12FK6
12AE6
12AE6A

Many of these were described in the input stage section of Pete's original article--the only one I can't seem to find is the 12FT6. There are several sellers on Ebay with quantities from several tubes to hundreds of them--it's where I did all of my shopping today. One seller indicated having 100 of the 12FK6, and they were only $1.05/ea. I like the 12FK6 more and more and that's a great price. I'll have 12 of them when they arrive.

I only ordered pairs of the 12FM6, 12EL6, and 12AJ6 just to try out. If I like them, I'll get more. And of course I will post my impressions here.

Take care,

-coma

Mar 12, 2005 at 7:36 AM Post #45 of 57
I was also wondering: is it safe to assume most 7-pin 12xx6 tubes will work with this amp (i.e. are all tubes carrying this designation space-charge triode/dual diode models, or compatible)? I've seen several other tubes with the 12xx6 designation that aren't mentioned specifically with the Millett amp literature, but would be interesting to try. Adding to the ones listed up-thread:

12A Types (http://www.thetubestore.com/noslist-...-12atypes.html):

12AD6/12AG6
12AF6
12AC6
12AU6
12AV6
12AW6

12B Types (http://www.thetubestore.com/noslist-...-12btypes.html):

12BA6
12BD6
12BE6
12BN6
12BL6
12BQ6/12CU6
12BZ6

12C Types (http://www.thetubestore.com/noslist-...-12ctypes.html):

12CR6
12CS6
12CX6

12D Types (http://www.thetubestore.com/noslist-...-12dtypes.html):

12DQ6/12GW6
12DZ6

12E through R Types (http://www.thetubestore.com/noslist-...2e-rtypes.html):

12EM6
12GC6
12H6 (though not 12xx6)
12EG6
12GA6
12JB6
12JN6
12L6 (not 12xx6)

And finally (I think) (http://www.thetubestore.com/noslist-...2s-ztypes.html):

12W6 (though it's a 12x6 config designation rather than 12xx6)
12V6

These cheap tubes could keep you busy rolling for years while never draining your wallet. If so, then the Millett is THE tube rolling amp for the tweaker/hobbiest.

biggrin.gif

-coma

Users who are viewing this thread

Back