Yes Virgina, There is a difference in USB cables
Apr 2, 2009 at 2:44 PM Post #31 of 279
Quote:

Originally Posted by leeperry /img/forum/go_quote.gif
yeah, that would be so wrong on so many levels
biggrin.gif

your objection with me is what again? and better yet, I should care why?

again, your maturity is such an asset

Apr 2, 2009 at 3:47 PM Post #33 of 279
Quote:

Originally Posted by obobskivich /img/forum/go_quote.gif
again, your maturity is such an asset

Apparently thread crapping is a mature act?

Cable mania and the resulting religious bigotry that has followed has gone too far IMO. There are appropriate threads that these views apply to. This was not one of those. You've finally earned a place on my ignore list.

Apr 2, 2009 at 3:58 PM Post #34 of 279
Quote:

Originally Posted by Aimless1 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Apparently thread crapping is a mature act?

Cable mania and the resulting religious bigotry that has followed has gone too far IMO. There are appropriate threads that these views apply to. This was not one of those. You've finally earned a place on my ignore list.

YTMND!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Whos_awesome.jpg

oh, and anyone who disagrees with me is wrong, as you obviously don't have good enough equipment or biochemistry to comprehend or embrace my point, and thats a proven fact, oh, forgot to add, anyone who disagrees with that logic, or holds their own views, is a bigoted moron unworthy of life
wink_face.gif

on a more serious note:
given that the basic arguement for the basis of this thread is "I'm right because I said my observation is a fact, and you're an inferior bigoted moron if you don't agree with me", well, I think just pointing it out is obviously enough (because we all know thats a perfectly rational arguement!)

Apr 2, 2009 at 6:09 PM Post #35 of 279
Quote:

Originally Posted by FallenAngel /img/forum/go_quote.gif
When will people learn to read before they talk out of their ass! No, "standard" USB Audio does not use checksums or any other error detection or correction and yes, as are all data transfer methods, it requires cable standards to be met (and a lot of "generic" or "no-name brand" cables do not).

Huh? The USB specs specify CRC checks for all packets and looking through the USB Device Class Specification for Audio Devices I see nowhere where it specifies that audio departs from this standard.

[EDIT]: It does use isochronous mode which means there is error detection, but no error correction. I stand corrected. (section 4.6 in the Audio Device Standard).

Apr 2, 2009 at 6:36 PM Post #37 of 279
Quote:

Originally Posted by Tgun5 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
After 100 or so hours of burn-in time, I am now prepared to give some impressions on the new Wireworld Ultraviolet USB cable . If you are one that doesn’t believe in equipment or cable burn-in, you might as well just stop here, for I’m not looking for an argument on whether it’s real.

Well of course - there is no argument. If no argument then, how about some ridicule?

Apr 2, 2009 at 8:23 PM Post #38 of 279
Ever noticed how cable believers never have any self-doubt about their assertions? You never see claims phrased as, "I think I hear a difference."

Beliefs are never questioned, just asserted. Sure, I have an opinion, too, but I went and bought aftermarket cables to see if I was wrong. I also hooked them up to a meter and an oscilloscope to see if any inherent bias of my own was working against what I perceived to hear. But it seemed that the electronics and my ears agreed.

The point is that I remain skeptical of even skepticism. If any real evidence is put forth, I'm willing to admit that I was wrong.

But the cable believers... all come across sounding exactly like a salesman. Nothing but certainty with confidence.

Apr 2, 2009 at 8:24 PM Post #39 of 279
I've figured it out! It's all been innuendo! The cables are actually a front for a drug ring. They're so expensive because they're actually paying for "something else" to be in that shipping package. They're trying to keep this secrecy going, don't spoil their means of obtaining drugs! How could I have not figured this out earlier? Why else would such illogic be applied? This is the only way it makes sense. "I can hear the difference" is their code word for "my mind will be on a trip in 5-9 days."

Apr 2, 2009 at 8:29 PM Post #40 of 279
My opinion on this is that if one really worries about USB cable quality, one can always go get a device with async-bulk-transfer with reclocking and error correction. Then the cable really doesn't matter unless it's damaged.

That said, if one has a damaged cable (or truly poorly made in some way), and also needs a flat cable for some reason, then why not the one that the OP suggests? Especially if one can suddenly hear improvements. (Cables are, by the way, one of these things that are easy to do a blind A/B test with, if one is into that kind of stuff.)

Apr 2, 2009 at 9:21 PM Post #41 of 279
well, if you run some quick google search you can find tons of testimonials from ppl who tried different types of USB cables and prefered one brand over another....the most important is indeed one's satisfaction in the end
smily_headphones1.gif

oldblueyez advised to buy a super expensive cryo cable to unleash the HD650 power....I'd rather put that money in a real upgrade myself. I agree cables can make a difference, but not quite on par w/ a higher quality pair of drivers or a higher end DAC or amp IMVHO
redface.gif

Apr 2, 2009 at 9:29 PM Post #42 of 279
Hey OboBSkivich, I finally get it. There really is no one hear that cares about audio. Just people like you that love to hear themselves talk. YAK YAK YAK, you just can't stop. Your opinions are the most important in every thread, or you'll make sure they are by hijacking the thread with hundreds of responses. Let’s just count your replies here. I've asked you nicely to drop out, but you just won't.

These are my non-audio observations: 1) You are self-important. 2) You must have been bullied as a child. 3) You must not hold a job, or should be fired for taking entire days to write to a blog. 4) You are rude by design, but love to post quotations to prove that everyone else really is.

I’ve only been involved in one thread with you and have had enough.

Like I said, I get it. You win. There really isn't a reason to post ANY observations here again. I made my post with the best intentions and with the hope to help others make a decision about a piece of gear. No one cares. This is not Head -Fi.... It's Head Games.

Apr 2, 2009 at 9:33 PM Post #44 of 279
Quote:

Originally Posted by Tgun5 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
YAK YAK YAK

well you see, you're feeding him again....if everyone ignores him, it will die out.

you bought a new cable, you love it and wanna share the wealth...more power to you
smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 2, 2009 at 9:41 PM Post #45 of 279
Oh dear, here we are again. Head-fi is turning into quite the broken record lately. Here is something to think about, audio USB does not have error correction, simple fact in most cases of usb implementation on the dac side. Second, timing issues are possible in usb cables, dielectric absorption and dispersion as well as conductor dielectric velocity mismatch, this is called jitter. Third, shielding can make cables sound different from one another, this is obvious. Fourth, a lot of people seem to make the mistake that it is the 1 or 0 that is being read and turned into the analog wave, the problem is when the dac must round (incomplete voltage swing). If the dac gets say +.51 volts then it may round up, what about .49, .409. 499 etc. etc. these can cause the bit to be misread. Then the bits are only representing points in the magnitude and frequency of a compound waveform which can have infinite variation because it is an analog wave (think any two numbers have infinite numbers between them).

There is plenty of room for variation in usb audio cables. Whether or not the differences are audible is the real debate.

Dave

Users who are viewing this thread

Back