YEAHHHHH New iPods!!!!
Sep 12, 2007 at 9:14 PM Post #151 of 177
Have posted it on another thread as well, but thought it might be worthwile posting it here also.
No imods available so far for the Classics and no rockboxed as well
frown.gif

Check out link from thread from Vinnie:

http://www.head-fi.org/forums/showthread.php?t=259258

Sep 12, 2007 at 9:50 PM Post #152 of 177
Quote:

Originally Posted by luckypictures /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Everything sucks but the touch. I'm impressed by the slimness, but they did nothing to change the screen or layout. The best thing they did was ad coverflow. Other than that, I don't think the new GUI is anything special.

The classic clearly doesn't suck. It's an improvement on something that was already good.

Also, Coverflow isn't really that impressive or useful. Are there really people who can only identify the music they want by the album cover, and not album name or artist?

Sep 13, 2007 at 12:00 AM Post #153 of 177
Quote:

Originally Posted by monolith /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Are there really people who can only identify the music they want by the album cover, and not album name or artist?

Yes, I think you'd be surprised. We all use signs, icons and logos in real life to quickly identify things. It's much quicker and more satisfying to locate albums by their cover than reading through lists. (For most of us anyway).

I think you should give it a go.

Not to mention it looks prettier on the new ipods than an ugly blank box.

Sep 13, 2007 at 1:13 AM Post #154 of 177
Quote:

Originally Posted by arielext /img/forum/go_quote.gif
So the iaudio X7 should have at least 100g and 60 hours playback, well i hope
wink.gif

Seems like this is the only potential player I'm aware of with some promise to actually offer what everyone wants--the bling of the widescreen touchscreen interface with a decent amount of storage. And Cowan supposedly has superior SQ to Ipod as well. Who knows if the UI will be half as well done as the ITouch though. Still, would love to have better sound quality *without* having to use an amp (which I understand is the case with the IMod--though perhaps I'm mistaken).

I was counting down the days until this announcement and am all about Apple--but shockingly I still couldn't find enough reason to upgrade over my 30GB 5th gen to confidently pull the trigger. I assumed we'd get the touch interface on something with at least 30GB and I was wrong. Like others will simply have to wait at least until the Touch gets 32GB or a competitor offers something with similarly intuitive and cool UI with more storage. I've somehow made 30GB work by rotating music and making what's on my hard drive "earn" its way onto my Ipod--but adhering to a minimum of 192 bitrate it's getting harder and harder to decide on what to pull off in favor of new music. I just can't *imagine* trying to make 16GB work.

I was disappointed, personally--though if you had to buy now the 160GB Classic is clearly the choice. 16GB is a recipe for frustration and it seems the people interested in 160GB of storage would still be interested once Apple starts offering more storage for the Touch as you assume it will always trail behind.

Sep 13, 2007 at 2:38 PM Post #157 of 177
Quote:

Originally Posted by OverlordXenu /img/forum/go_quote.gif
X7 was a rumor, at least, now it is.

UK retailer amp3.co.uk were the ones who leaked confirmation of 8gb D2 to dapreview.net as well as several other iaudio daps. According to amp3 Cowon have delayed "X7" to Q1 2008

Sep 13, 2007 at 3:26 PM Post #158 of 177
Quote:

Originally Posted by ZackT /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yes, I think you'd be surprised. We all use signs, icons and logos in real life to quickly identify things. It's much quicker and more satisfying to locate albums by their cover than reading through lists. (For most of us anyway).

I think you should give it a go.

Not to mention it looks prettier on the new ipods than an ugly blank box.

On the new Nano, I can see it being useful for such small collections. Loading up my 160GB Classic with 110GB of music is just about 2,000 albums. Even in iTunes the album view is useless to me - and it would still be useless even if it could actually pull up the album covers in realtime as I scan through instead of empty placeholders.

Sep 15, 2007 at 4:50 AM Post #159 of 177
Quote:

Originally Posted by LFC_SL /img/forum/go_quote.gif
UK retailer amp3.co.uk were the ones who leaked confirmation of 8gb D2 to dapreview.net as well as several other iaudio daps. According to amp3 Cowon have delayed "X7" to Q1 2008

Probably true--but what a disaster for Cowan. Seems like missing Xmas would be a really bad thing for them.

Things are really getting interesting though. Am quite interested to see how the Imods work out for the Classic. If the Imodded Classic can be used *without* an amp or other hassles perhaps I'll pull the trigger before the Touch is expanded--or the X7 comes out. I personally *like* ITunes--would be hard going to a clunkier music manager just to use another brand player. People obviously disagree though...

32GB Imodded Touch though--how long do we need to wait for that?

Sep 15, 2007 at 6:32 AM Post #160 of 177
wow this news is sad:
http://www.boingboing.net/2007/09/14...eengineer.html

Quote:

The latest iPods have a cryptographic "checksum" in their song databases that prevents third-party applications from synching with the portable music players. This means that iPods can no longer be used with operating systems where iTunes doesn't exist -- like Linux, where gtkpod and Amarok are common free tools used by iPod owners to load their players.

Notice that this has nothing to do with piracy -- this is about Apple limiting the choices available to people who buy their iPod hardware...

Sep 15, 2007 at 6:58 AM Post #161 of 177
They have also screwed 3rd party suppliers, my car cigarette adapter no longer charges a 3g Nano, nor my wall adapter and i cant control it through a IM7.
Ipods need to detect a authentication chip is a pain in the ass.

Sep 15, 2007 at 12:56 PM Post #162 of 177
Quote:

Originally Posted by tomjonesrocks /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Probably true--but what a disaster for Cowan. Seems like missing Xmas would be a really bad thing for them.

Things are really getting interesting though. Am quite interested to see how the Imods work out for the Classic. If the Imodded Classic can be used *without* an amp or other hassles perhaps I'll pull the trigger before the Touch is expanded--or the X7 comes out. I personally *like* ITunes--would be hard going to a clunkier music manager just to use another brand player. People obviously disagree though...

32GB Imodded Touch though--how long do we need to wait for that?

there will not be an iMod Classic

Sep 15, 2007 at 4:09 PM Post #163 of 177
Quote:

Originally Posted by werdwerdus /img/forum/go_quote.gif
wow this news is sad:
http://www.boingboing.net/2007/09/14...eengineer.html

Not so good news indeed. That's not a fair step from Apple and will probably kick a lot of people in a bad way with this. Too bad.

Sep 15, 2007 at 7:34 PM Post #164 of 177
The iPod Touch is likely going to be a PDA killer with Internet and Personal Scheduling Organizing features. It really took Apple about 5-8 years to get the iPod right but now with the iPod 6G I guess Apple finally got things right--the cover's now aluminum instead of "scratchy" glass material. Storage also has increased.

The iPod Nano also has improved with video capability.

The iPod Classic 6G still remains the best buy whilst the iPod Touch will be a great alternative for those "annoying" Windows Mobile PDAs.

Sep 15, 2007 at 8:22 PM Post #165 of 177
No it won't. It will never be a PDA killer, unless Apple allows 3rd party apps.

The most useful part of PDA's is that anyone can write an application for it. I can handle billing, support, and even SSH into my servers with my PDA. I can't do near to that on an iPhone/Touch, and I never will be able to. Let alone there being no keyboard.

This thing is useless. It has an awkward screen for movies, it sounds bad, it doesn't have bluetooth (enabled, at least), it doesn't allow third part applications (canceling out why bluetooth would be useful anyway), and it only has 16gigs of storage.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back