Yay for linux
Jul 1, 2003 at 1:29 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 31

andrzejpw

May one day invent Bose-cancelling headphones.
I'm posting this from my new gentoo linux box, a p2 300. KDE FINALLY got emerged. All of this seems pretty nice. My goal was to set up a webserver. Just thought I'd like to share.
smily_headphones1.gif

OH crap, I just figured out why it took so long for kde to emerge. My use flag had gnome in it. I think I emerged both. :-/

Jul 1, 2003 at 1:44 AM Post #2 of 31
speak engrish son...

Jul 1, 2003 at 3:16 AM Post #4 of 31
Quote:

Originally posted by andrzejpw
linux good. Crap: my small* harddrive is not enough for monster linux!

*2 gigabyte.

More like monster distribution. My 286 laptop that I use for RS232 purposes runs off of a single 720k floppy disk.... And I can browse the web with that, too. On the same floppy. Oh, and compile complex applications for doing some interesting things with external devices.
wink.gif

Jul 1, 2003 at 3:37 AM Post #6 of 31
Not suprising. All of the current desktop managers are memory hogging plethoras of unstable code. Except for maybe XFCE, but I havent tried that out in a long time. Last I used unices for any graphical stuff, I didnt even use a window manager because they consume so many resources and do so little. The last window manager I actually used heavily, was one I wrote myself. It was about 120 lines of code, it allowed me to do everything with some key strokes. No decorations. Did I mention that I'm a minimilist?
wink.gif

You should try FVWM2, or BlackBox, if you're into something a little prettier, aside from those other desktop managers. Uninstall KDE and GNOME, it will free up three fourths of your hard disk. It may look primative, but it's far more stable to work without them, though maybe a little more archaic.

Jul 1, 2003 at 3:38 AM Post #7 of 31
I've used blackbox before, wasn't too bad. Though I fear with all the dependencies I installed with kde, deleting it may not be easy short of a reformat.
frown.gif

Jul 1, 2003 at 3:38 AM Post #8 of 31
Linux:

The good:
-light
-you have control
-free
-many distributions to try
-great for running servers
-stable

The bad:
-few good business productivity apps
-you have to learn
-steep learning curve to get what you want out of it
-few games
-many idiosyncrasies that can be hard to figure out at first

My verdict:
-Great to play around with to learn.
wink.gif

-Advisable if you use it for a server
-Not advisable as an everyday OS if you need to do normal things like office apps and play games

Jul 1, 2003 at 3:48 AM Post #10 of 31
Most WinModems use LUCENT chipsets, which are almost all supported now.

Anyone using AOL would not be interested in Linux, unless they were using AOL because they were forced to for some reason.

Jul 1, 2003 at 3:55 AM Post #12 of 31
People still use AOHell? Yipes.
eek.gif

I'm gonna try Suse next time I format my E drive for Linux again.

Jul 1, 2003 at 4:00 AM Post #13 of 31
andrzejpw,

congratulations.

so which do you prefer, GNOME or KDE? While I find that GNOME has prettier icons, and if the kernel is done right (ala RedHat9 with it's plug-n-play auto-discovery & setup (ala Windows OS, WOS)), I somehow prefer KDE - and it may just be because of Konqueror. That's not to say that Konqueror doesn't need a few tweaks - like the forum reply window text scrolling past the window edge. I also prefer the KDE setup tools (panel).

My Debian came with KDE and KDEOffice while my RedHat9 came with GNOME and OpenOffice. For ease of use, RH9 is much better. (Especially if you're used to WOS). There's just something about Mozilla that I do not like (RH9 default Browser).

Try SuperRamba over KDE for a great looking desktop.

As to resources - Linux is way leaner than Windows. I can't believe how little memory I'm usuing.

Jul 1, 2003 at 4:04 AM Post #14 of 31
D-EJ915,

exactly how is SUSE8 better than RH9? (yeah, I really wish to know).

andrzejpw,

for some reason I do not like the looks of Gentoo. (I didn't like Mandrake, either). Maybe it's just that 'Footprint'...

Jul 1, 2003 at 4:06 AM Post #15 of 31
I'm not a fan of gnome either. Anyway, I just uninstalled kde. :-0 I can't afford to have 107 megs free! Fluxbox is installing now.

One question though: how do I check my remaining disk space w/o kde?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back