Yay for linux
Jul 1, 2003 at 4:26 AM Post #16 of 31
andrzejpw,

one way would be System Tools -> System Monitor (Devices).

or at a terminal prompt use the disk usage (du) and disk free (df) commands.

http://www.geocities.com/tipsforlinux/articles/22.html
http://www.techtv.com/screensavers/a...336520,00.html
http://www.redhat.com/docs/manuals/l...k-storage.html
http://www.linuxjournal.com/article.php?sid=2751

And I just figured out why I do not like GNOME: because it uses the browser as the main GUI. No matter what you do you will always have that double height 'back/forward/reload/stop/address' browser bar. Not that KDE doesn't do the same - but at least it is single height. (mozilla/Netscape vs Konqueror/IE)

And it's for the very same reason why I do not like Windows XP. I always thought it was the lesser features of XP versus W2000 (like not being able to shortcut the control panel to the desktop, or not having enough room for system tray icons, etc). It's because of the eye candy. (On W2K, it's called "Active Desktop").

guess MicroSoft was right, eh? it was accused of integrating the browser with the OS, and now everyone seems to be doing it. I at least like the W2K browser interaction, unlike WXP.

---------------------------------------------------
Man, I like those Gentoo Icons!
biggrin.gif

http://www.gentoo.org/dyn/icons.xml
l33t_HUG_phoenix.png

Jul 1, 2003 at 6:53 AM Post #17 of 31
Quote:

1=winmodems

This hasn't been a problem for a long time, particularly for lucent winmodems. While I haven't used linux for quite a while, when I tried to use it 2 years ago, I got my winmodem to work in mandrake. Very cool.
Checkout www.linmodems.org for more info.
-MAg

Jul 1, 2003 at 7:13 AM Post #18 of 31
Congrats on getting it set up. Why not just use WindowMaker? Whether I'm using Linux, FreeBSD, or NetBSD I always use WindowMaker since it's lightweight, functional, and nice looking. If you haven't already tried it you might want to give it a shot. KDE and GNOME slow any system down too much, although KDE is a bit nicer than GNOME.

Gentoo is easily my favorite Linux distro since it is so customizable and quite fast. But overall I prefer FreeBSD or NetBSD, depending on whether I need more speed or more hardware support, respectively.

wallijonn,

Although there is no way to truly remove IE from Windows it 's use in Explorer is similar to KDE and GNOME. Explorer, KDE, and GNOME all use a browser for their basic interface. But like KDE and GNOME on *nix platforms you can switch to another interface on Windows. Just type "progman" in the run box and see what you get. Microsoft still bundles the ancient Program Manager with Windows and you can still use it as your shell, although unless you download an alternative program you will have to use Explorer for file management (good 'ol winfile.exe hasn't been with Windows since 3.x).

Jul 1, 2003 at 8:44 AM Post #19 of 31
donovan,

thanks for the tip. yeah, i remember run winfile.exe. a lot of users kept using it when they went over to NT4.0. it did have some nice features. i use wxp in the "Classic" mode. I still think that it is not as good as W2K. (It is definitely not as fast; it is too bloated even after tuning by turning off services, minimizing effects, setting a static swap space, etc.)

andrze,

how hard was it installing Gentoo? did you take the defaults (just hit enter) when you were at the first su prompt? or did you go manual install?

i was all set to blow away Debian and at the last second decided not to. shades of SCO & BSD!
eek.gif
RH9 is definitely easier. (I got scared when it asked me what vga setting to install, 30x40, 60x80, 123x66, obviouly the page size. it just threw me for a second (especially at 1 am)). I had a real bitch of a time installing Debian on my Matrox G400. My problem with Debian is my SBLive! card - I am going to have to recompile to get the sound to work. it's not something that i look forward to. RH9 saw it and set it up perfectly the first time through.

Jul 1, 2003 at 11:46 AM Post #20 of 31
The gentoo install itself is cake, if you have a basic understanding of linux in general. I think my first gentoo install, on a 240 winchip with 48 megs of ram, was one of the hardest computer related things I had to do. I won't go into details, but it wouldn't boot the cd, and then since I had 48 megs of ram. . . bleh.

Jul 1, 2003 at 5:31 PM Post #21 of 31
andrzejpw,

i herald back to PII & 16MB of ram. luckily most of my Unix installs were on D.E.C. PDPs and VAXes minis and midis.

do you find yourself wanting to "sync, sync, sync" before doing a "shutdown -h now" (or at least before logging off)?
biggrin.gif

I'll probably blow away my Debian box and give Gentoo a shot. If I don't like it I can see how easily Debian goes back on. (Yeah, I printed out all 20 odd pages of the Gentoo irc4 instructions.
biggrin.gif
) I have the feeling that SUSE is just as easy (installation wise) as RH9. (windows GUI type install).

Jul 1, 2003 at 7:50 PM Post #22 of 31
Nothing like trying out RedHat 6.0 on a 486DX2/66 box with 16MB of RAM. It's where I first learned to appreciate WindowMaker and learned about the GIMP. And where I first learned that RedHat sucks.

And then there was a time back 3 years ago for a month where I ran Mandrake on a Pentium 75 with 24MB of RAM for a month, not using my main computer (a Celeron 500 running Windows 98 SE) for a month. It was a lot of fun.

So far I've tried RedHat (didn't like), Mandrake (used to like), Slackware (still like), Debian (don't like), Gentoo (still like), NetBSD (easy to get set up), FreeBSD (faster and easier than NetBSD), and OpenBSD (slow but secure). I might just give Gentoo a shot again today, if anything to see how much faster it will compile on my Athlon compared to my old Celeron.

Jul 1, 2003 at 8:41 PM Post #23 of 31
Donovan,

I really wish SUSE had .iso's. If I knew that SUSE's ftp install worked flawlessly (somewhat like Debian) I might give it a shot. Downloading 6Gig just to have everything handy for an install sucks. For pure ease of install I rate RH9 5 stars; there's nothing to compile, no super user commands to issue - just a nice GUI install. The RH9 pre-start menu looks a lot like Mandrakes (after installation). The RH9 updates are a breeze, as is the software installs. Everything should be so easy in Unix.

I'll look into your recommendations. as it is Gentoo is looking a little too much like installing BSD from scratch. while the emerge command is nice, there is a lot to do to make it work right (many post commands).

I'll check into SlackWare, FreeBSD, etc., and see which ones use the latest KDE. Thanks, again.

-wal

Jul 1, 2003 at 8:55 PM Post #24 of 31
I just like SUSE better than RH, the interface, it has a different control section than RH9, and it is nicer...and it has MP3 support still there in XMMS...it's nicer believe me, SUSE has 8.2 now, so get that NOW!
600smile.gif

That's weird that XP runs slowly on your pc wallijohn, XP runs a lot faster than all the other OSes I have (2.1, 3.0, 3.1, 95, NT4, 98, 98SE, XP...Suse...RH... .Net Server 2K3)---well, .net is on a 4GB 5400rpm ata33 hdd, so that may explain that...lol

Jul 2, 2003 at 5:18 AM Post #25 of 31
D-EJ,

I blew away Debian and installed SUSE8.2 over the net. (I downloaded the boot.iso files, then burned it using Nero. Booted to CD, configured the NIC (just selected the type I had), pinged (from Windows) the ftp site, put in the ftp address, and put in /pub/suse/i386/8.2). [I had a Debian konqbrowser.desktop / panel problem where the panel was freezing when either making a move or removing an applet. if i installed Launcher, there was no way to remove it. So I figured, what the heck, let me play...]

now i just wish that I had saved my bookmarks.
frown.gif

Suse even got my intellimouse middle button and scroll whell to work perfectly.
biggrin.gif

I have to do some slight tweaking (themes, colors, fonts, etc) and getting the CD player to play music (it plays the KDE splash screen sounds), and of course I have to replace a few icons, but overall I'm impressed.

Heck, even Konqueror works a lot better than it did in Debian; there's no more wrap around or typing past a screen. I definitely like. The resolution is better, the type is better, a little bit better focused, etc.

the Gentoo icon (a few notes back) looks MUCH sharper.

yeah, i like it.
biggrin.gif
too bad that it's a bitch when one is happy with what one had (Debian) and now has to try and make it (SUSE) look like the old. Things are turned around all over the place. But I LOVE the fact that at the login screen you are given options as to which window manager you want to start up (KDE is one of 4).

thanks, buddy.

Jul 2, 2003 at 7:21 AM Post #26 of 31
wallijonn,

Good to hear about your good luck with Suse. Debian was flaky for me, and I was quite happy to get rid of it. The package system was really nice though. I've read a lot more positive things about Suse than RedHat or Mandrake.

Gentoo is definately a lot of work to set up, but in the end it's worth it since you get a system that works almost exactly how you want it to without any bloat. It does take a lot of time since you have to compile nearly everything from scratch. I started this install at 3pm yesterday and now it is 1am and although I have X-Windows installed, I only have dillo for a graphical browser and it's not too friendly to this forum so I'm using links (an excellent text browser) to post this. Right now I'm compiling Mozilla-Firebird. Hopefully it will be done within the next hour or so.

Good thing I got mpg123 and my Windows XP NTFS partition mounted so I can at least listen to some music while waiting for all this to compile
smily_headphones1.gif

Edit: And I just found that links has a graphical mode, too. It's not very pretty but it's functional at least.

Jul 2, 2003 at 7:58 AM Post #27 of 31
Donovan,

you poor person. i hate dillo even more than i hate mozilla.

you have xp mounted while compiling? sounds like LinWindows.
tongue.gif

yeah, some things are nice on SUSE, but like I said, I really prefer (maybe because I was already used to it) the look and feel of DebIan (probably because it had the closest vanilla flavour KDE3.1). But SUSE type looks a lot better in Konqueror. I just wish I could get some of the DebIan themes into SUSE, as I was already used to the colours, icons, etc.
What really looks weird, though, is the Head-Fi reply buttons. I just wish they were a little smaller. I hope it's the theme. [That's when my DebIan problems started - when I tried to install a KDE theme].

don't you wish you could listen to www.di.fm through Linux? dang.

edit: IT WORKS.
biggrin.gif
HAPPY, HAPPY, JOY, JOY!
XMMS, I love you.
biggrin.gif

Jul 2, 2003 at 8:50 AM Post #28 of 31
Quote:

you poor person. i hate dillo even more than i hate mozilla.

Dillo really does suck. Even links's graphical mode is better than dillo. Luckily I finally got Mozilla-Firebird installed. I have no problem with Mozilla, to me it's better than IE and Opera and it's cross-platform too.

Jul 4, 2003 at 3:06 PM Post #30 of 31
Yup, Linux is the ****!

And thats the reason why i've been AWOL from Head-Fi for a while. Been trying to learn Linux and having a lot of fun doing so
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back