Yaqin / Yaoin tube amp opinions - 6V6GTx4
Dec 20, 2008 at 2:36 AM Post #16 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by lmmo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Can the 6V6 drive the HD650 cans?

Thanks!

Contrary to Bouddha I find the HD650 to be a great match with the Yaqin 6V6, they sound a lot more alive than with my Little Dot Mk IVSE (too lean sounding). The bass is huge, the sound is powerfull, sweet and full.

On the other hand, my JVC dx1000 (64 Ohm) does not sound good with the Yaqin, it's too muddy and boomy.

Dec 20, 2008 at 2:56 PM Post #17 of 28
The real shame about this amp is it doesn't look like it will accept the much cooler looking G bottle 6V6's (6V6G), which I bet also sound better.

Dec 20, 2008 at 5:19 PM Post #18 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by Skylab /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The real shame about this amp is it doesn't look like it will accept the much cooler looking G bottle 6V6's (6V6G), which I bet also sound better.

Yes it fits, I have some Westinghouse 6V6G that sounds great (nice midrange-vocal) AND looks nice! I should have jumped on the NOS GEC 6V6G offered on ebay before someone bought them all (20)..

So far the best power tubes for this amp are the NOS RCA 6V6GT, Italian-made Sicte 6V6, Westinghouse 6V6g and the recent-made JJ 6V6S

Dec 21, 2008 at 2:58 PM Post #19 of 28
Wow, that is great to know, and makes this amp kinda tempting
smily_headphones1.gif

Feb 5, 2009 at 1:37 AM Post #21 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by dario /img/forum/go_quote.gif
How would compare this amp against a dedicated headphone amplifier?
confused.gif

I have the Hd650...

I find the Yaqin MS-6V6 to be clearly superior to the LD MKIVse (and LD2++...) which I find too thin sounding and lacking deep bass. If you don't need an amp to drive speakers, it might be a better option to invest your 400-500$ in a dedicated HP amplifier like the Darkvoice 3322/ Audiotailor Jade.

But OTOH If you need an amp capable of driving speakers and headphones and which has multiple inputs (forget about the remote control, it's not made for headphones listenning), I think the MS-6V6 is a very good amp for the 525$ I paid. It's a fun amp with the HD650, It's tubby sounding, (ie. sound is full, warm, round, smooth and sweet) and the extension is better than on the LD MKIVse at both ends. It responds well to tube rolling, but since the sound signature is a bit dark, it will not sound good with the smoothest tubes. Another good thing is that you can buy an infinite variety of 12AU7/12AT7 and the good NOS 6V6 tube are still affordable.

Even thought the bass is present, it is a bit round and slow for my taste and could be tighter, heavier and go deeper. Overall the sound could be more dynamic and clearer, but still, I continously enjoy listenning to this amp with my HD650.

Feb 20, 2009 at 6:26 AM Post #23 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by dario /img/forum/go_quote.gif
And a yaquin 300b is better than the 6v6?
Also this has the headphone out...
smile_phones.gif

I would hope so since the headphone out is apparently tapped on the 300b tubes. The 2A3 version, which is cheaper than the 300B version, seems also promising and could be a good way to get a taste of power triodes (but i'm not sure about the look). One potential disadvantage of these two amps when compared to the 6V6 is the price of power tubes

Apr 19, 2009 at 1:34 PM Post #24 of 28
Well, I have ended up getting some nice 6V6 tubes for use in another amp, and my interest in the Yaqin 6V6 amp has re-emerged. Does anyone know of a way to buy these amps without incurring $200+ in shipping charges?

Apr 20, 2009 at 2:03 AM Post #25 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by Skylab /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well, I have ended up getting some nice 6V6 tubes for use in another amp, and my interest in the Yaqin 6V6 amp has re-emerged. Does anyone know of a way to buy these amps without incurring $200+ in shipping charges?

Unless you want to take a risk by choosing the "free shipping" option that is sometime offered on Ebay for surface mail, the cheapest and fastest way to get this amp is to opt for Chinese/HK Ebay sellers and airmail shipping. There is currently an auction that seems surprisingly reasonable for this 40 lbs amp: total would be around 460-480$ (of which 111$ is for airmail/insurance).

Comparatively, this amp currently retails for 999$ (shipping included) from this US seller.

Another integrated/headphone amp that use 4x6V6 tubes is the Sound Quest SQ-84, but it retails for 1200$

If I may ask, what are the nice 6V6 tubes you got ? and also, how is the Musical Paradise MP-301 6V6 amp so far ?

Apr 20, 2009 at 12:27 PM Post #26 of 28
Hmmm...well, maybe the problem is I am hoping to get the Yaqin for too cheap
wink.gif

I got some nice Tung-sol and Ken-Rad black-glass 6V6GT's, and some nice Raytheon and Sylvania 6V6GTY's. So far I have only tried the Tung-Sol and Ken-Rad's, and both sound very good in the MP-301. The MP-301 is an amazing sounding little amp for the money.

Jun 28, 2009 at 7:59 AM Post #27 of 28
a word of warning : I got taken for ~250USD by one of those chinese sellers who start the bid @ 9EU or whatever they start them at hoping for a deal on a speaker/headphone amp combo (the EL34 amp).
purchase, paypal, excuses, never heard from them. no longer a registered user.
Be very paranoid when dealing with communist china. the danger is in the shipping, make sure you can pay by CC so you can chargeback and make sure the seller knows that.
i've been on ebay since 2001.

If you do get one though, there are lots of parts that can be upgraded as shown on some chinese hi-fi forums but that only pours salt on sore wounds.

Nov 26, 2013 at 10:16 PM Post #28 of 28
I have owned the Yaoin MC-1oT for about 3 years now. Sounds fantastic. I retired my old McIntosh vintage tube amp, as this one sounds superior.
In the 3 years I have owned it, I have had no problems, and am just starting to consider changing the tubes as they have a few thousand hours on them by now.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back