Yamamoto Sound Craft HA-02
Sep 19, 2009 at 2:33 PM Post #1,216 of 1,351
Hi Mike,
I have used the 743 topkit in the D10, too, but think the 744OBAC is a step above, as the TLE2141CA seems to be. (look at headphoneaddicts review: http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f105/i...ml#post6022019 )
I changed the big caps to Blackgates. The D10 is a really great little amp/DAC.
Just switched from the D10 to the Yamamoto (over USB-Monica DAC). The Yammy is simply more transparent, one or two steps above the D10.
I appreciate the look of this japanese amp, it is a perfectly built beau. Even when unconnected it sounds sweet.
smily_headphones1.gif

Thanks for the Airport informations. I think I have to try it.

Sep 19, 2009 at 3:35 PM Post #1,217 of 1,351
Quote:

Originally Posted by rhw /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hi Mike,
I have used the 743 topkit in the D10, too, but think the 744OBAC is a step above, as the TLE2141CA seems to be. (look at headphoneaddicts review: http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f105/i...ml#post6022019 )
I changed the big caps to Blackgates. The D10 is a really great little amp/DAC.
Just switched from the D10 to the Yamamoto (over USB-Monica DAC). The Yammy is simply more transparent, one or two steps above the D10.
I appreciate the look of this japanese amp, it is a perfectly built beau. Even when unconnected it sounds sweet.
smily_headphones1.gif

Thanks for the Airport informations. I think I have to try it.

Thanks for the D10 info. In total, was the Yammy upgrade a good one for you? I am pleased with the D10, but still itching to upgrade. Wondering what your thoughts are at this point.

Sep 19, 2009 at 3:59 PM Post #1,218 of 1,351
Hmmmm, that is difficult, Mike.
There is no way back. (That's wrong. There always is...)
The Yammy is superior to the D10, but sitting at the other side of the room, I use the D10 the most time over the week.
With a maxxed D10 and the HF2 you will have a very good little system.
The Yammy is no energy saver, needs some time to warm up and un-emotionally it is "unnecessary", but nevertheless it is a step closer to (audio) heaven.
You will not miss the Yammy when you havn't owned it. Buy something sweet for your wife or take a Yammy or both. ≈≈≈

Sep 19, 2009 at 6:24 PM Post #1,219 of 1,351
Thanks! I tend to use a 1 to 4 ratio. For every dollar I spend on my toys I spend 4 on things for my wife. Keeps things in perfect balance. Based on that, I probably cannot afford the Yammy right now.

Sep 20, 2009 at 2:42 AM Post #1,220 of 1,351
I have decided to spend $40 on some black gates for the D10 and defer the Yammy for now. Looks like a great amp and a no brainer with W1000s. Hope to own it some day.

Sep 20, 2009 at 8:28 AM Post #1,221 of 1,351
Hello Mike, the Blackgates are fine. You may try the 744/8201 opamp combination, too.
(Un-)Fortunately
there will be something better or different ..... Yamamoto, WOO, Zana Deux, EAR HP4 ... ≈ HD800, PS1000, T1, K1000 ... ≈
there is pleasure with less than the best.

Nov 22, 2009 at 10:34 PM Post #1,222 of 1,351
Woot Woot...just got off the phone with Brian from VenusHiFi. I'm thrilled and estatic about joining the Yammie Family.
Quick questions, besides upgrading the amp with a power cord, what else can i do to get the best performance out of the yammie? burn-in period is how long? If i wanted to roll tubes, what would be the alternate besides the WE408A?
Any inputs would be very helpful. Thankyou.

BTW, im using W1000, W5000, Denon 5000, akg701, grado 325i. Sources are Sony SCD-1, 777es, Opera Cononsance Droplet CDP3.1

Dec 1, 2009 at 2:48 AM Post #1,223 of 1,351
Hi, After upgrading the power cord...I suggest looking to the fuse and upgrading that as well. They are related, so upgrading one without the other is a job partially done. There are no worthwhile tubes that "improve" performance (from what I hear, not what I know), but try Cryo'd tubes from tubeworld(?). Happy hunting!

Dec 1, 2009 at 7:19 PM Post #1,227 of 1,351
I have some skepticism about the effectiveness of tube dampers when driving headphones. Are they not for damping vibrations/microphonics from Speakers pounding out the bass notes? I have not tried them except on my phono amp so I am not speaking from experiance, but if no vibrations, no need for dampers right? Or am I way off here?
atsmile.gif

Dec 4, 2009 at 1:05 AM Post #1,229 of 1,351
Yes, makes sense. Thanks...I will see if i can detect sonic improvements with my aging ears.

Jan 4, 2010 at 6:50 PM Post #1,230 of 1,351
Has anyone tried the yammy with the HD800? I might have a chance in February but I'm still interested in researching the topic. From a purely technical standpoint it definitely can. I'm just looking for phones to hold me over a couple of years until I can get a STAX rig for big orchestral pieces. My AD2000s just ain't cutting it for that genre.

I can say a big YES to the power cable upgrades. I've yet to investigate fuses because understanding how they work, it's an unlikely place to introduce distortion, but maybe switching them out would let more of my cleaner power through. I was quite surprised at the improvement at getting all custom power cables and a 2 plug Shunya conditioner. Really lowered the noise floor and reduced grain, especially in the highs. Now the ATs seem more peaky to me than ever before.
frown.gif
What a stupid hobby.
smily_headphones1.gif

I already searched the thread and there wasn't much. Maybe I'll post in the main section if no one bites here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back