Yamamoto Sound Craft HA-02
May 8, 2008 at 9:08 AM Post #1,036 of 1,351
Quote:

Originally Posted by gjkphd /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm approaching the 11 week mark myself. I was told that the amp was to ship last week but I have no amp yet. Here's the good news. I was able to listen to one at the Can Jam. I have to say I was really happy with the sound through my AT W5000. I played Baba O'Relly from Who's next, the CD happened to be there. At the beginning of that song I could here each individual note like I'd never heard it before. Aren't those the experiences we seek in this hobby? Well maybe it'll show up tomorrow. BTW, Brian responded yesterday pretty promptly when I e mailed him to tell him I haven't received it yet. I don't know how good HIS communicitation is with Yamamoto though

You will get it I am sure if it has shipped. For some reason mine took a while to get from Japan to Richmond, Va. when it shipped. More time than an item from Price Japan did for sure.

May 8, 2008 at 2:27 PM Post #1,037 of 1,351
Quote:

I'm approaching the 11 week mark myself. I was told that the amp was to ship last week but I have no amp yet. Here's the good news. I was able to listen to one at the Can Jam. I have to say I was really happy with the sound through my AT W5000. I played Baba O'Relly from Who's next, the CD happened to be there. At the beginning of that song I could here each individual note like I'd never heard it before. Aren't those the experiences we seek in this hobby? Well maybe it'll show up tomorrow. BTW, Brian responded yesterday pretty promptly when I e mailed him to tell him I haven't received it yet. I don't know how good HIS communicitation is with Yamamoto though

Yes I was promisd last week to. Something must have happened. Brian must have issues with communicating to Japan. I know the translator program can be problematic. Here are a couple of Brians posts (venushifi) that are very informative.
More about the Yamamoto HA-02...
Hoping to set things straight...
Anyways, I will hang in there as I am sure it will be worth the wait. And I will shoot off another e-mail to Brian about an ETA. I had asked if matched tubs was important, but got not reply...but he did address it in the post linked above.

Keep Groovin'

May 8, 2008 at 2:31 PM Post #1,038 of 1,351
Quote:

Originally Posted by canyon_john /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yes I was promisd last week to. Something must have happened. Brian must have issues with communicating to Japan. I know the translator program can be problematic. Here are a couple of Brians posts (venushifi) that are very informative.
More about the Yamamoto HA-02...
Hoping to set things straight...
Anyways, I will hang in there as I am sure it will be worth the wait. And I will shoot off another e-mail to Brian about an ETA. I had asked if matched tubs was important, but got not reply...but he did address it in the post linked above.

Keep Groovin'

Quote:

Originally Posted by venushifi /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hello again!

Having skimmed through the last few pages in this thread, I wanted to offer some additional bits of information about the HA-02:

1) Although Western Electric tubes are often considered to be "exotic," don't be worried about the Yamamoto's use of the WE 408A - this tube is not only widely available (a vendor recently offered to sell me 3000+ NOS WE 408As!), but it remains extremely affordable (typically less than US$10 a pop), and is very robust (expect several years of tube life, assuming that you use the amp a couple of hours every day).

2) Also, it is not necessary to get hand-matched pairs of 408A tubes for the HA-02 to sound its best. That being said, though, I would recommend against using pairs of tubes of obviously different vintages (for instance, a NOS tube with a heavily used tube).

3) Yamamoto Sound Craft does run all of its amps and preamps for many hours before shipping them out. But these units still benefit from additional burn-in time, and will continue to sound better and better during the first two to three months of continuous use.

4) The CD and Aux inputs of the HA-02 have the same input sensitivity.

5) The speaker taps on the back of the HA-02 are meant more for background listening than for serious listening. Mr. Yamamoto recognized that many audiophiles use headphone amps in office or bedroom systems, and that these users might sometimes appreciate being able to use a unit like the HA-02 for background music using a pair of reasonably-efficient monitors. The sound you'll get in such applications is extremely good, but the HA-02 was not designed to drive full-range, high-efficiency speakers for critical listening at normal volume levels.

I'd also like to add a couple of additional comments regarding HA-02 orders. First off, Yamamoto Sound Craft is very grateful to everyone for putting up with the extremely long wait period for HA-02 orders. The demand for this headphone amp was underestimated. But given the current popularity of the HA-02, Yamamoto has decided to reorganize its production line, and we expect that the ETA for new HA-02 orders will be closer to four weeks by the end of the summer.

Secondly, if you are considering placing an order for a Yamamoto from a non-domestic retailer, you should inquire about their warranty policy. Many of us have made arrangements with the factory for service plans to domestic customers. For example, I have a factory-authorized warranty plan for North American customers who order the Yamamoto headphone amp through me, but this plan would not be available to a domestic customer who ordered their HA-02 from a vendor in, say, Hong Kong.

All my best,
Brian
Venus Hi-Fi
Venus Hi-Fi -- For the Love of Music!
517-881-7753

Guess you can't copy links so here is one...

May 8, 2008 at 2:35 PM Post #1,039 of 1,351
Quote:

Originally Posted by venushifi /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Dear everyone,

Well, this is my first post at Head-Fi, and while I would have preferred to begin my correspondence here in more lighthearted manner, I would like to start by trying to defuse some recently-posted concerns about ordering the Yamamoto HA-02 headphone amp.

As many of you know, my name is Brian, and I am the owner of Venus Hi-Fi, the North American retailer for Yamamoto Sound Craft. I have been importing this product line from Japan for well over three years now, and have felt privileged to be able to do so. And I have always prided myself on the quality of my customer support.

However, the past several weeks have been a very difficult period for me. Without going into detail, let me just say that I have been dealing with some family issues that have demanded my constant attention. And I am sorry to say that these issues have made me much less accessible than usual, which is why some of you have had to wait so long to hear back from me regarding the status of your Yamamoto orders. Again, my apologies for this!

Because the HA-02 is hand-built in small production runs, and because the worldwide demand for this amp continues to surpass the supply, it has been difficult for us (Yamamoto and Venus Hi-Fi) to provide exact lead times for orders, although we do try our best. Nevertheless, my lack of prompt responses during the past couple of months has obviously caused more than a little grief for some folks. Therefore, let it be known that everyone who has ordered a Yamamoto HA-02 between January 1st and now will be receiving some Yamamoto audio bases free of charge next month (June). Please consider this my way of saying "sorry" if you've tried contacting me recently and had to wait longer than expected to get a reply.

Oh, and one more thing: If you were sent a bill by U.S. Customs for your HA-02 and wound up paying a bit more for the amp than expected, please send me the customs invoice so that I can reimburse you. The U.S. retail price of the HA-02 includes the customs fees that I normally pay, but it would seem that a couple of folks here wound up getting this bill instead of me, and this is a mistake...

All my best,
Brian
Venus Hi-Fi
Venus Hi-Fi -- For the Love of Music!
517-881-7753

And this one too!!

May 8, 2008 at 5:14 PM Post #1,040 of 1,351
thanks Canyon John for showing those posts from Brian. I see that they are from a year ago. It's like deja vu all over again!

May 8, 2008 at 5:40 PM Post #1,041 of 1,351
Yes I noticed that to.

May 8, 2008 at 5:50 PM Post #1,042 of 1,351
Hey you all,

I've searched but found nothing on this in this forum, so I ask you guys that have heard it all with the Yammy. What is the best open headphone with the yammy? ....and I'm keping it in mind that the yammy was voiced for the W1k.

Thanks!

May 10, 2008 at 4:37 PM Post #1,043 of 1,351
Hey, maybe Brian went back to Venus

May 10, 2008 at 5:17 PM Post #1,044 of 1,351
Quote:

Originally Posted by canyon_john /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hey you all,

I've searched but found nothing on this in this forum, so I ask you guys that have heard it all with the Yammy. What is the best open headphone with the yammy? ....and I'm keping it in mind that the yammy was voiced for the W1k.

Thanks!

I think the Ultrasone Edition 9 is great.

May 10, 2008 at 9:22 PM Post #1,045 of 1,351
Quote:

Originally Posted by slwiser /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I think the Ultrasone Edition 9 is great.

hmmmm ... correct me if I'm wrong (I don't own a pair), but aren't ED9s closed headphones?

To the OP, I like my Sony SA5000s with The Yammy very much. Their respective qualities complement each other well. The SA5k is fast, has wide dynamic range, and spounds very transparent (note, not neutral) ... like a window straight into the source. The Yamamoto's relatively plump bass, and tube goodness make for a nice pairing.

May 10, 2008 at 11:24 PM Post #1,046 of 1,351
Quote:

Originally Posted by agile_one /img/forum/go_quote.gif
hmmmm ... correct me if I'm wrong (I don't own a pair), but aren't ED9s closed headphones?

You caught me not reading carefully again...You are right of course.

May 13, 2008 at 2:30 AM Post #1,047 of 1,351
Yeah, the amp showed up today but noone home to sign for it so tomorrow's the day!

May 13, 2008 at 2:25 PM Post #1,048 of 1,351
Quote:

Yeah, the amp showed up today but noone home to sign for it so tomorrow's the day!

Thats great! When did you order? Did it come UPS? Brian is still not responding to e-mails or phone messages...truelly, back to Venus...
mad.gif

May 13, 2008 at 2:30 PM Post #1,049 of 1,351
Quote:

PS...When did were you asked to pay off the balance?
biggrin.gif

May 13, 2008 at 7:37 PM Post #1,050 of 1,351
Canyon_John, my amp just arrived a few minutes ago. I think that you and I were on the same schedule so you should (with any luck) be very close, maybe today is your lucky day, too.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back