Yamamoto Sound Craft HA-02
Dec 29, 2007 at 1:26 PM Post #856 of 1,351
Quote:

Originally Posted by Nik /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hi to all Yamamoto lovers... can I add my name to yours?

As you know the perfect impedence match for the Yamamoto is 40 ohm (like the W1000), there is another cans with 40 ohm, what is this?

You are making this very difficult for me ... , I want another pair of phones, and preferably not W1000's, not that they sound bad, but the UE9's are just too expensive, and I am not sure I'd be happy with them either, but something somewhere in between maybe, ... , I just don't know what .... <sigh>

Dec 29, 2007 at 2:03 PM Post #857 of 1,351
I find the Grado HP2 perfect on the Yammy...

I'll try others amps and I'll tell you what happend... I whant the very best for my HP2 !!!

Best to all the Yamamoto fans club and happy new year !!!
Nik

Dec 29, 2007 at 3:49 PM Post #858 of 1,351
Nik,

Just re-read your signature. My goodness man . . . K1Ks, Airtight, and all that lovely glass - lovely kit. You may move straigtht to head of the class
wink.gif

I guess that speaks quite well of the Yammy if it can pry you away from that rig!

Cheers,
Garry

Dec 29, 2007 at 7:33 PM Post #859 of 1,351
Quote:

Originally Posted by Nik /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hi to all Yamamoto lovers... can I add my name to yours?

Between all the cans I have and I used with the Yammy, the very best (IMO) is the incredible ... ???

I have tested the Gs1000, stock cabled and equinox cabled, the W5000, the K701, the JVC DX1000, the Denon D5000, the K1000 on the rear outputs, but none of these are the very best for me.

As you know the perfect impedence match for the Yamamoto is 40 ohm (like the W1000), there is another cans with 40 ohm, what is this?

Welcome aboard Nik, you've had an extensive journey through your various amps and phones.
I was having a lazy Sunday morning listen with the Yamamoto today,swapping headphones around and still rate the W1000 best with my system. The W5000s do some things better but the W1000s just seem more musical, suck me into the recording and always have me listening to the music rather then the sound which is what it should be about.

Of course in the end the listening experience is so personal that it's very difficult to justify ranking one combo above any other but that will never stop
us all asking and trying.

Dec 29, 2007 at 8:16 PM Post #860 of 1,351
i had been experiencing constant hum on the left channel lately on the yama. i happened to have isotropyl alcochol swab lying around, the one they use it to wipe your skin before the injection in the hospital. after i used it to clean the pin of the tube, all hum gone, and the sound seem to be a bit clearer too. the whole process only took a few minutes,, i had read about people having hum on their amp, and changing tube and power cord,etc. may be it's worth while to clean the pin of the tube first? well it is for my case.

Jan 1, 2008 at 3:38 AM Post #861 of 1,351
I finally have a W11JPN on the way. Soon my Yamamoto is going to get a little ménage à quatre going with the W100, W2002 and the new girl. I'll post the results if I'm not feeling too lazy or too exhausted from the lustathon.

Jan 1, 2008 at 3:43 AM Post #862 of 1,351
Quote:

Originally Posted by Superpredator /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I finally have a W11JPN on the way. Soon my Yamamoto is going to get a little ménage à quatre going with the W100, W2002 and the new girl. I'll post the results if I'm not feeling too lazy or too exhausted from the lustathon.

nice! i've been looking at the last few w11jpn that have been for sale...i'm interested in how they sound with the yammy. i'm quite fond of the yammy/w100 mix...probably not as much as the w5000/yammy pair, but still very good.

Jan 1, 2008 at 4:35 AM Post #863 of 1,351
Quote:

Originally Posted by minivan /img/forum/go_quote.gif
i had been experiencing constant hum on the left channel lately on the yama. i happened to have isotropyl alcochol swab lying around, the one they use it to wipe your skin before the injection in the hospital. after i used it to clean the pin of the tube, all hum gone, and the sound seem to be a bit clearer too. the whole process only took a few minutes,, i had read about people having hum on their amp, and changing tube and power cord,etc. may be it's worth while to clean the pin of the tube first? well it is for my case.

After working my way through my stash of tubes looking for a silent pair I finally tried cleaning the pins with alcohol and a (new) toothbrush. With the last pair I had been experiencing intermittent hum in the left channel that would typically go away when I powered down and powered back up again. None of the tubes I tried were really silent. Cleaning the pins has dramatically reduced the noise (I can pause a track with volume set very high and I get SILENCE instead of faint noise) and thus far eliminated all hum/buzz. I'm going to clean some tubes I marked unusable to see if I can reproduce these results.

Quote:

Originally Posted by kugino /img/forum/go_quote.gif
nice! i've been looking at the last few w11jpn that have been for sale...i'm interested in how they sound with the yammy. i'm quite fond of the yammy/w100 mix...probably not as much as the w5000/yammy pair, but still very good.

I passed on a W11JPN a year or so ago because I had just picked up a W5000. Several months later when I was looking for another chance at a W11JPN the W2002 presented itself, and it nudged the W5000 out the door. This feels like coming home, if home was a pair of headphones I didn't buy a year ago.

The W100 does indeed sound quite awesome with the Yammy. Vast improvement over the M^3.

I really can't wait to put the JPN and 2002 against each other. I also have a load of loose leaf tea coming from Stash, including Yin Hao Jasmine Green and Milk Scented Kinsen Oolong. Next weekend is going to be fun.
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 1, 2008 at 1:55 PM Post #864 of 1,351
Quote:

Originally Posted by minivan /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Thanks for the on-job training experience. I will keep this in mind.

Pictures please--
wink.gif

Jan 1, 2008 at 8:30 PM Post #865 of 1,351
Jan 1, 2008 at 8:39 PM Post #866 of 1,351
There are issues with application of dissimilar metals and galvanic corrosion. So what would the application of a silver or gold applicate do to other type metals such as brass except enhance corrosion, right? I can see that we need to do maintenance on our connections since we don't always know the metals involved but adding additional dissimilar metals becomes problematic I think.

Jan 1, 2008 at 10:39 PM Post #867 of 1,351
Quote:

Originally Posted by slwiser /img/forum/go_quote.gif
There are issues with application of dissimilar metals and galvanic corrosion. So what would the application of a silver or gold applicate do to other type metals such as brass except enhance corrosion, right? I can see that we need to do maintenance on our connections since we don't always know the metals involved but adding additional dissimilar metals becomes problematic I think.

Ronfint in this thread (post 806) reports that Walker SST made a 'useful improvement'. Maybe he has some comments about possible galvanic effects.

Jan 2, 2008 at 12:53 AM Post #868 of 1,351
Quote:

Originally Posted by DennyL /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Ronfint in this thread (post 806) reports that Walker SST made a 'useful improvement'. Maybe he has some comments about possible galvanic effects.

I'm smiling as I type this. I have no idea what a "galvanic effect" is. (I'm a mathematician, not an engineer.) I've used SST for many years, and it has always seemed to give an improvement wherever it was applied. However, I'm not a young man, and my hearing isn't what it once was; so you should take what I say with a grain of salt. Nonetheless, I'll keep using SST. (One jar lasts a lifetime. Say something nice, and I'll leave you the remaining SST in my will.)

Jan 2, 2008 at 12:56 AM Post #869 of 1,351
"galvanic effect" is when to dissimilar metals are in contact. A current is set up between them and that current causes corrosion due to one metal losing electrons to the other.

I just ordered a Deoxit kit from Craig to take care of my system.

Jan 2, 2008 at 2:33 AM Post #870 of 1,351
My question is, isn't isotropyl alcochol the first and easiest solution in cleaning connacts before one moves up to fancier products? I'm sure they work great but between my budget and conveinence I rather just use something that is widely available and safe.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back