Yamamoto Sound Craft HA-02
Oct 15, 2007 at 3:00 PM Post #751 of 1,351
Quote:

Originally Posted by slwiser /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have the Yamamoto HA-02, Berning micro-ZOTL and AT-HA5000 along with the Lavry DA10 headamp and the Xin Reference (22k-mF version with quarter plugs). I may not get to all of these but my primary interest is in the first three. This review will have a specific focus on the Yamamoto since it is new to me. My Yamamoto has over 150 hours on it before beginning this particular set of comparisons. All the other amps have many hours and are well used. All music is feed from the FLAC files coming off my computer using the M-Audiophile USB (latest drivers from M-Audio) for the SPDIF feed via Grand Enigma XLR female to RCA 75 ohm cables into my outboard Lavry DA10 used with a setting of CrystalLock and RCA input. The ampBoxAudio Line Router feeds Blue Jean RCA Audio LC-1 Stereo Audio Cables to each of the three primary amps being tested. The Ultrasone Edition 9s are stock all the way with plenty of hours on them. Every once in a while I placed my ATH-ANC7s into the mix just to give me some perspective of what these can do with a lower level headphone than the UE9.

Thanks for sharing your thoughts ...

Oct 15, 2007 at 10:49 PM Post #754 of 1,351
Quote:

Originally Posted by Superpredator /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I thought Yamamoto recommended not having headphones and speakers connected at the same time.

He does? Whoops.

Thing is, the speakers don't produce any sound while the headphone is connected (like a normal integrated pre/amp) so I thought that was how it was designed to be.

Also, I don't have spades/bananas on my speaker connectors - it'd be a real pain unscrewing/screwing every time I wanted to switch between listening to speakers or headphones.

Good tip about muting the source input if changing headphones.

Oct 16, 2007 at 7:51 AM Post #755 of 1,351
Quote:

Originally Posted by minivan /img/forum/go_quote.gif
slwiser: x2 for the great write up, good to hear u think the yammy come up on top on most aspect.
biggrin.gif

gav: warwick from pure music group have the ue9 for special price, if u want to upgrade to the ue9 and get rid of your w5000, i will buy it off from your hand

minivan

Nice idea but I cant afford to right now I spent enough getting the HA-02 & the W5000 , and now I am saving for my trip to the UK next July with stop off's at HongKong on the way and Singapore on the way back and maybe a new Canon 40D at HK ,what are you using for cans at the moment minivan

Oct 16, 2007 at 8:52 AM Post #757 of 1,351
Quote:

Originally Posted by Gav /img/forum/go_quote.gif
minivan

Nice idea but I cant afford to right now I spent enough getting the HA-02 & the W5000 , and now I am saving for my trip to the UK next July with stop off's at HongKong on the way and Singapore on the way back and maybe a new Canon 40D at HK ,what are you using for cans at the moment minivan

If you can, you may not want to "get rid of your" W5000 when you get the UE9. You just may want both.

Oct 16, 2007 at 2:36 PM Post #758 of 1,351
Quote:

Same.

I thought Yamamoto recommended not having headphones and speakers connected at the same time.

Not sure it was Yamamoto himself, or general consensus on the forum, that an amp with as low an output as the Yamamoto, could not drive speakers and headphones simultaneously, but then FING, reports that the speakers are "diconnected" when headphone jack is inserted, so seemingly that has been taken care of ....

Maybe one of us should write Mr. Yamamoto and pertinently ask the question?

Oct 17, 2007 at 1:23 PM Post #759 of 1,351
Quote:

Originally Posted by Fing /img/forum/go_quote.gif
He does? Whoops.

Thing is, the speakers don't produce any sound while the headphone is connected (like a normal integrated pre/amp) so I thought that was how it was designed to be.

Also, I don't have spades/bananas on my speaker connectors - it'd be a real pain unscrewing/screwing every time I wanted to switch between listening to speakers or headphones.

If that's the case maybe I'll connect my speakers again. It's too much trouble to connect them on an as-needed basis. I'll try to take note of whether there's any impact on the sound.

Quote:

Originally Posted by java /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Not sure it was Yamamoto himself, or general consensus on the forum, that an amp with as low an output as the Yamamoto, could not drive speakers and headphones simultaneously, but then FING, reports that the speakers are "diconnected" when headphone jack is inserted, so seemingly that has been taken care of ....

Actually I thought I read it in the manual, but I could be wrong.

In other news, I just scored a load of WE 408A off of eBay. Hopefully I didn't outbid any of you kind gentlemen. Routing through them for an ultra quiet pair to commence next.

Oct 19, 2007 at 8:02 AM Post #760 of 1,351
so i've been listening to the yamamoto the last couple of days with the k1000 (using a 1/4" adapter) since i'm can-less at the moment other than the k1000. i don't recommend it for long listening periods, or even short ones for that matter. while it gets loud enough (dial at about 1:00) there is little in the way of bass, air, richness, and life.

i've never heard eva cassidy sound so uninviting...while this is to be expected given the yamamoto's low output, i thought it would do a little better. i did, however, like the yamamoto/k701 pair before i sold the k701. i know not many here think the yamamoto/k701 pairs well but i like the richness and warmth the yamamoto provides. so while it struggles to drive the beast of the akg lineup, the k1000, it does really well with the top of the current line.

Oct 19, 2007 at 12:16 PM Post #761 of 1,351
Whoa. This thread has been quite for awhile as no one has been receiving any shipments globally. My suppiler finally passed on the word that my unit has shipped and gave me the tracking number. It's really happening. My supplier noted on Monday that supposely this week Shige-san finished 3 units and I was at the top of the list. Honestly, I feel like a kid before xmas. It will arrive Sunday. I'm out all day but I will clear the evening schedule and some room on the table.

Oct 19, 2007 at 1:19 PM Post #762 of 1,351
I think it's probably a bad idea to connect both the speakers and headphones simultaneously.

I assume that the circuit is pretty simple, as an anode-loaded transformer-coupled single stage design. There is probably a single secondary winding with two taps - one for headphones at a higher impedance (thus uses a middle tap) and one for speakers which uses the whole winding.

Now, if you connect just the headphones, the amp will have a higher voltage but higher impedance output. Connecting speakers simultaneously will result in very little sound, since all the voltage is being pulled by the headphones - however, you will cause excessive loading of the secondary winding, which will probably result in higher distortion.

Anyway, I doubt you will do much damage connecting a speaker, so try it and see if the sound degrades.

Oct 19, 2007 at 2:07 PM Post #763 of 1,351
Wower,

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wower
My suppiler finally passed on the word that my unit has shipped and gave me the tracking number. It's really happening. My supplier noted on Monday that supposely this week Shige-san finished 3 units and I was at the top of the list. Honestly, I feel like a kid before xmas. It will arrive Sunday. I'm out all day but I will clear the evening schedule and some room on the table.

Great news . . . you've been one patient chap. Enjoy your hot date with Ms. Yamamoto this weekend.

Cheers,
Garry
beer.gif

Oct 19, 2007 at 10:48 PM Post #764 of 1,351
Quote:

In other news, I just scored a load of WE 408A off of eBay. Hopefully I didn't outbid any of you kind gentlemen. Routing through them for an ultra quiet pair to commence next.

I bid on alot of 10 on eBay last week ( I lost ) , I cant remember the sellers name
smily_headphones1.gif

I notice with my Ha-02 with volume control at 09.00 a shhhh noise starts to appear and gets louder the higher one turns the volume up,

Any idea's what would cause this ssshhh sound, when the music is playing I dont notice it but it is anoying that the ssshhh noise is there.

Oct 20, 2007 at 2:00 AM Post #765 of 1,351
Quote:

Originally Posted by Gav /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I bid on alot of 10 on eBay last week ( I lost ) , I cant remember the sellers name
smily_headphones1.gif

I notice with my Ha-02 with volume control at 09.00 a shhhh noise starts to appear and gets louder the higher one turns the volume up,

Any idea's what would cause this ssshhh sound, when the music is playing I dont notice it but it is anoying that the ssshhh noise is there.

The tubes came today. I got a batch of 18. One of the ones in the first pair I tried seems to have a very quiet whispy flickering sound, but the faint hum I experienced with the other tubes is almost if not completely gone. I can't hear anything with low-volume music playing.

I feel like I've heard sshh sshh sounds with various amps when the volume at the source was way low, but I suppose it could be the tubes.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back