Yamamoto Sound Craft HA-02
Aug 20, 2011 at 9:58 AM Post #1,291 of 1,351
yup, you need a special cable for that,,,

Aug 24, 2011 at 12:38 AM Post #1,293 of 1,351
Another question on the Yama:

My main source is an Outlaw 970 preamp/processor.  It does, however, sound a dry with the Yama.

My Harman Kardon DVD47 sounds better with the Yama: envolving and warm.  Yet, *all* my other audio gear sounds better with the Outlaw.

This makes me suspect that the Yama is somewhat picky about the source.

So, what's your experience with different sources for the Yama?  And which one you'd recommend?

Thanks,
Walfredo

Aug 24, 2011 at 3:26 PM Post #1,294 of 1,351
The Yamamoto is for a SET design, very transparent, and therefore is highly revealing of its source. The source can be a make or break proposition. In that sense, when I had the Yama in my possession I did not realize its full potential. I'd be loath to try to use the Yama with any dac of lessor quality than the Anedio D-1 or the W4S dac1/dac1.

The Anedio, btw, scaled very well with my DNA Sonett, which itself has a very similar sound signature to the Yama.

Aug 26, 2011 at 12:21 AM Post #1,295 of 1,351
Absolutely, Pigmode.  The Yama is very revealing of the source.

But there is also a question of synergy going on.  My Outlaw is better (more detailed and accurate) than my Harman Kardon.  (FWIW, the HK was less than $100 on ebay. :)  Yet, the HK is much more *musical* with the Yama, really really nice to hear.

[]s
Walfredo

Aug 27, 2011 at 2:18 PM Post #1,296 of 1,351
I would says this Yama is much revealing all source sound. picky is not really cause is much on what DAC you pair up to. I tested with Larvy DA11 i would says it come ever angle synergy of sound. Yama is miracle for all Audio Technica headphones especially wood series. 

Dec 22, 2011 at 9:25 AM Post #1,298 of 1,351
No, tube rolling is not an option but you can get cryo'ed tubes and a cryo'ed fuse which has some impact.  Apparently you do not need to have worry about having matched tubes but you can do that even.

Dec 22, 2011 at 9:51 AM Post #1,299 of 1,351
Thanks for your answer. Some more questions though as I'm a tube newbie.

- Where does one find the cryo'ed stuff? Is it better?
- In the 6Moons review of this amp I read about 3 different brands for the 408A tubes: WE, Sylvania and ECG Philips. Would there be difference between the brands? Which brand do you think is best?
- Are all these tubes NOS or are new ones being made as well? I understand NOS is better.

Thanks for any advice you can give me.

Dec 22, 2011 at 10:06 AM Post #1,300 of 1,351
For the different brands the tubes are not that expensive so purchase a couple of each and roll....

I forgot where I got the cryo'ed stuff.  I will check around, it is maybe in this thread somewhere under my username way back.

Dec 22, 2011 at 10:11 AM Post #1,301 of 1,351

Here is an early reference to the cryo'ed tubes...
Quote:
Quote:

Originally Posted by slwiser /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks, I finally found the reference to the cryo'ed tubes. I ordered three pair, all they had on their listing.

Yea SLWISER! Sell us some! they last 10,000+ hrs I think. Just kidding...Tube world will have more cryo'ed by JUNE they say
tongue.gif

Dec 22, 2011 at 11:13 AM Post #1,304 of 1,351
Enjoy

Dec 22, 2011 at 12:07 PM Post #1,305 of 1,351
Also checked for the fuses you mentioned somewhere, you seemed to find them an improvement.
PS Audio - Accessories - Critical Link 800mA Amp slow blow 5x20.

I used to have a few of tyhese but sold them with my DAC. I know the importer, just sent him a mail.
I don't think they make them anymore but he might just have a few around.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back