Yamamoto Sound Craft HA-02
Oct 25, 2010 at 11:46 PM Post #1,276 of 1,351
Hello out there in yami land!

I just got some toobs from e-bay as backup, They are authentic WE408a's,BUT 1975 vintage (last production?), and they have different geters (halo, not square) than the older and a larger disk around the base of the plate.  On the older ones, the top disk(?) is larger than the bottom, but these are the same size.  I got 5 NOS in a rack off e-bay.  Anyways.....They seem different sounding, but then again they are not broken in either.  I was just wondering if anyone else has noticed differences with this later version of the WE408a? 

Nov 12, 2010 at 10:30 PM Post #1,279 of 1,351
Okay I just read through the whole thread, and all I can say is good comes with the bad.  Too bad about the price increase, and I can't find the ATH-W1000 for sale. Still, it would be most excellent if Venus Hi Fi is open tomorrow, so I don't have to wait till Mon.
L3000.gif

Nov 14, 2010 at 4:31 AM Post #1,280 of 1,351
I've read this thread and searched within and beyond Head-Fi for information and reviews about the HA-02. I've also exchanged emails with Mr Yamamoto. This idiosyncratic red beauty speaks to me and I'm tempted to purchase it for use with my W5000, ESW9, Grado HF2 and SR125. I have no concerns about how it will pair with any of these low impedance phones (particularly the audio-technica's) based on what I've read.

However, I am also considering a Woo WA6 (which I've also been reading up on) as it should handle both low and high impedance phones. I see a high impedance phone like the HD800 or possibly an orthodynamic like the LCD-2 or HE-6 on the horizon. Both orthodynamics are low impedance but hungry for power.

I've sent an email to Jack Woo seeking his advice on which, of his models would be suitable for my purposes and awaiting his response. I should mention that the WA6 is roughly half the price of the HA-02 and this is a factor that I cannot ignore.

In the meantime, I'd be interested to know if any of the HA-2 owners have compared their prized beauties with one of Mr Woo's creations, such as the WA6 and how they performed with any of the above-mentioned headphones; particularly the W5000? I'm also wondering if either of these amps sound more "tubey" than the other? I'm not looking for a tube amp that will impart an overly smooth, warm, or syrupy quality to these phones. 

Thanks.

Nov 19, 2010 at 1:43 PM Post #1,281 of 1,351
I've tried both the HA-02 and the Woo WA22 with various AT woodies, and to my mind you just can't find better synergy at its price range than the Yamamoto HA-02. The performance of the WA22 with the W100, W11JPN, W1000x, and W5000 wasn't anything special in my opinion.

Really, it was the brief time I spent with the HA-02 that helped me to realize just how important synergy between components is.

Nov 19, 2010 at 7:20 PM Post #1,282 of 1,351
Based on everything I've read and on a purely theoretical level, I tended to compare the Yamamoto to Woo's WA5 or WA5LE.

After I put in my order with Brian @ Venus Hi Fi, he described the Yamamoto's sound as that of a DH SET 45 amplifier. Reading between the lines of the HA-02 review at 6Moons, I had already come to a similar interpretation of Srajan Ebaen's colorful, although somewhat cryptic prose. Indeed, that is exactly the sound I am looking for, and my final choices included the HA-02, WA5, or WA5LE. If I don't end up with a Woo WA5/WA5LE in the next 6-8 months, that would be a direct indication of my thoughts on the Yamamoto.

ETA: early to late Jan.

Dec 25, 2010 at 11:26 PM Post #1,284 of 1,351
This is such a great Masterpiece. I owned it for 3 months from now. I find all my headphones can drive well with this Amp cause i using mainly Audio Technica Headphones. I owned W2002, W11JPN, W1VTG, W1000X, W1000 & ESW10JPN. Found out that this Yammy can makes my coloration headphones become a very beautiful sound. ...even for display this is surely a beauty...

Dec 27, 2010 at 7:37 AM Post #1,285 of 1,351

Quote:
I've tried both the HA-02 and the Woo WA22 with various AT woodies, and to my mind you just can't find better synergy at its price range than the Yamamoto HA-02. The performance of the WA22 with the W100, W11JPN, W1000x, and W5000 wasn't anything special in my opinion.

Really, it was the brief time I spent with the HA-02 that helped me to realize just how important synergy between components is.

The importance of synergy in component matching does my head in. It's hard enough just finding the right headphone. Speaking of that, it's been a while since I've read this thread and I can't recall if anyone has tried Grado's with the HA-02. I wonder if there is any synergy to be had there?

Jan 1, 2011 at 7:09 PM Post #1,286 of 1,351
Quote:

If I had seen this post or had even considered Audio Technica woodies a whole year ago, I probably would have gotten the Yamamoto instead. Who knew I would go searching for the discontinued woodies? I'm very happy with the Woo Audio 6SE so far with the Audio Techs. Maybe eventually I will grab a Yamamoto, but I'm happy with a more universal amp for now.

Quote:
Quote:

The importance of synergy in component matching does my head in. It's hard enough just finding the right headphone. Speaking of that, it's been a while since I've read this thread and I can't recall if anyone has tried Grado's with the HA-02. I wonder if there is any synergy to be had there?

Right... Sometimes you really don't know where this hobby would take you... I was considering using the WA 6SE for a crap load of completely different headphones. I think I still will. The comments of the Yamamoto are quite tempting, but without actually hearing it myself, I fear I would be in for disappointment if I buy it and does not meet my expectations. The Woo 6SE has been great for anything so far.

Quote:
This is such a great Masterpiece. I owned it for 3 months from now. I find all my headphones can drive well with this Amp cause i using mainly Audio Technica Headphones. I owned W2002, W11JPN, W1VTG, W1000X, W1000 & ESW10JPN. Found out that this Yammy can makes my coloration headphones become a very beautiful sound. ...even for display this is surely a beauty...

I'm jealous! I will be searching for discontinued rarities and see what I missing. After I find a few more woodies, I think I will know what I'll do next. Either finally get some open headphones or get the Yamamoto or something I haven't thought of...

Jul 8, 2011 at 2:14 AM Post #1,288 of 1,351
As you all know, the Yamamoto is absolutely awesome as a headphone amp.  Completely, truly mind blogging with my AD-2000.

So, I get curious to see how it would sound on speakers, as it does have speaker out connections.  However, all attempts I could find on-line report very weak bass (not surprising due to the power rating), the music I listen (jazz, brazilian, vocals) really benefit from bass, my speakers (Polk LSi) are inefficient, and I ran out of budget for this year (= no new speakers). 
L3000.gif

Therefore, the question is:  Can I use my Yamamoto as a pre-amp? Is there a way to hook up its speaker-outs to my amp, which takes RCA in?

[]s
Walfredo

Jul 9, 2011 at 10:51 AM Post #1,289 of 1,351

Quote:
As you all know, the Yamamoto is absolutely awesome as a headphone amp.  Completely, truly mind blogging with my AD-2000.

So, I get curious to see how it would sound on speakers, as it does have speaker out connections.  However, all attempts I could find on-line report very weak bass (not surprising due to the power rating), the music I listen (jazz, brazilian, vocals) really benefit from bass, my speakers (Polk LSi) are inefficient, and I ran out of budget for this year (= no new speakers). 
L3000.gif

Therefore, the question is:  Can I use my Yamamoto as a pre-amp? Is there a way to hook up its speaker-outs to my amp, which takes RCA in?

[]s
Walfredo

Can using this amp for as a preamp. no problem if your Amp is power enough to run it. But seriously as what manufacture said this Amp for speaker is sounds like BGM

Jul 24, 2011 at 6:57 PM Post #1,290 of 1,351
Thanks, akabane.

But, how do I exactly use the Yamamoto as a pre-amp?  It has speaker output, not the regular RCA pre-amp output?

[]s
Walfredo

Users who are viewing this thread

Back