Yamamoto Sound Craft HA-02
Aug 19, 2007 at 1:00 PM Post #421 of 1,351
Quote:

Originally Posted by KurtW /img/forum/go_quote.gif
...The microZOTL looks like a toaster compared to the beautiful Yammy...

Even while we all know that the microZOLT is not a pretty amp at all, I can tell you with no remorse that this little "red firetruck" is not any better in the looks, and the ZOLT has a lot more electronic look that this one, maybe is becasue we are used to see it for a while...
very_evil_smiley.gif
...Sorry but that is not what I consider a beautiful amp at all, I have seen better DIY attempts around here...

Aug 19, 2007 at 1:38 PM Post #422 of 1,351
Globiboulga,

Quote:

Hi, I am interested in a headphone amps with possibility to hook up speakers to use in a study (small room, limited volume), and the HA-02 seems to fit the bill. Anyone tried the amp with speakers?

Or should I go for a fully fledge amp and hope the heaphone section is acceptable?

I should think that it would be best to steer clear of the Yammy for use with speakers. Seems like offering the speaker taps was a nod to the local market where hi-efficiency speakers are quite popular.

Given its power rating, it would need to be used in the extreme nearfield with a very efficient speaker 96+ dB. I've tried it with moderately efficient speakers and at low volumes it was OK, but quickly ran out of steam thereafter. YMMV.

Good (amp) hunting.

Cheers,
Garry

Aug 19, 2007 at 1:48 PM Post #423 of 1,351
slwiser will have my microZOTL in few days. It's his baby now. After listening to HD650 balanced I could not go back to single ended. The cat was out of the ba....sort of speaking
wink.gif
I know my old ZOTL will have best home possible with slwiser. Since we live close, I can visit and hear the lovely sounding ZOTL
biggrin.gif

slwiser can compare the Yammy and the ZOTL at his environment and controlled setup. The ZOTL his getting will have 2 NOS Sylvania Gold 6201 tubes and 2 Electro-harmonix 6SN7 tubes in it. To function their best, it needs Ken-Rad VT231/6SN7 tubes to give it better bass definition and depth...but those are expensive and hard to come-by. The Sylvania tubes really changed the sound to give better clarity, wide sound stage, treble extension, etc. Electro-harmonix is not bad considering the price and availability.

I am sure slwiser will have a field-day and enjoy both yummy and blue toaster machine with light bulbs in it (as my kids called it)
smily_headphones1.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by KurtW /img/forum/go_quote.gif
My initial impressions of these two amps have not changed with time. I like the Yamamoto alot but think the microZOTL (with NOS tubes) is better in just about every aspect. It has a wider soundstage, sounds more transparent and airy, and is more neutral. As I mentioned earlier, the Yamamoto does sound good with the Grado HP2, benefiting from the more lush lower midrange and full bottom end that they Yammy provides. Other headphones may benefit as well, but my AT L3000 does better without this. The microZOTL looks like a toaster compared to the beautiful Yammy, but it is a special low impedance OTL design, and maybe as good as the output transformer is in the Yammy it cannot compare to no transformer at all.

Aug 19, 2007 at 2:00 PM Post #424 of 1,351
I am actually quite interested in trying some high efficiency speakers. As I say, the system would be for use in a fairly small study (i.e. japanese?
3000smile.gif
3000smile.gif
3000smile.gif
)

I've never 'done' high efficiency speakers, so I am just curious of the sound... It may be totally crap... Don't know.

Aug 19, 2007 at 2:09 PM Post #425 of 1,351
Quote:

Originally Posted by GarryH /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Globiboulga,

I should think that it would be best to steer clear of the Yammy for use with speakers. Seems like offering the speaker taps was a nod to the local market where hi-efficiency speakers are quite popular.

Given its power rating, it would need to be used in the extreme nearfield with a very efficient speaker 96+ dB. I've tried it with moderately efficient speakers and at low volumes it was OK, but quickly ran out of steam thereafter. YMMV.

Good (amp) hunting.

Cheers,
Garry

Yamamoto builds a nice looking speaker with a sensitivity of about 108 dB/1w if I remember correctly so with that speaker it would not be a problem.

yamamoto_YS-605P.jpg

From my perspective don't ask the price since two of these would cost more than I have spent on all my equipment.

Aug 19, 2007 at 2:38 PM Post #426 of 1,351
Steve,

Quote:

Yamamoto builds a nice looking speaker with a sensitivity of about 108 dB/1w if I remember correctly so with that speaker it would not be a problem.

Yes, nice indeed, and, by all accounts, nice sounding as well. Given the size of Globiboulga's intended room, the Yammy speaks would be a tight fit.

That said, if one was determined to go down this route, a pair of Omega 3's, @ a little under USD 800, LothX Bookshelf @ about USD 500 (DIYs), or Hasehiro (DIY import from Japan) @ about USD 500) might just do the trick.

Cheers,
Garry

Aug 19, 2007 at 2:40 PM Post #427 of 1,351

Aug 19, 2007 at 2:42 PM Post #428 of 1,351
Quote:

Originally Posted by GarryH /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Steve,

Yes, nice indeed, and, by all accounts, nice sounding as well. Given the size of Globiboulga's intended room the Yammy speaks would be a tight fit.

That said, if one was determined to go down this route, a pair of Omega 3's, @ a little under USD 800, LothX Bookshelf @ about USD 500 (DIYs), or Hasehiro (DIY import from Japan) @ about USD 500) might just do the trick.

Cheers,
Garry

When and if I do go down this path this is exactly what I will do. I was unaware of the Hasehiro. Thanks for the tip.

Aug 19, 2007 at 9:20 PM Post #430 of 1,351
Quote:

Originally Posted by globiboulga /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The Yamamoto's are US$3,500 a piece... Yeah baby.

Did I mention without shipping...

It would be a beautiful match for an office..The speaker equivalent of the ATH-W5000 and AT-HA5000 in looks, only better.

Aug 20, 2007 at 2:29 AM Post #432 of 1,351
Quote:

Originally Posted by globiboulga /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I know, my little study is kind of the place I really want to make perfect and it's woody and it would all fit together brilliantly...

But that's where the PAF kicks in...
icon10.gif

Whatever you do, it sounds like it is going to be beautiful. Share some pictures if you can.

Aug 24, 2007 at 7:51 PM Post #433 of 1,351
Quote:

Originally Posted by Superpredator /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If I tell your wife you have it you might be forced to give it up.
evil_smiley.gif

Super, thanks for telling SK138's wife. I have his microZOTL now. It sounds beautiful with my UE9s.
wink.gif

Aug 24, 2007 at 9:09 PM Post #434 of 1,351
Doh!!! You guys are going to get me caught by my wife with my recent Ninja balanced upgrades
biggrin.gif
evil_smiley.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by slwiser /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Super, thanks for telling SK138's wife. I have his microZOTL now. It sounds beautiful with my UE9s.
wink.gif

Aug 27, 2007 at 1:29 PM Post #435 of 1,351
Quote:

Originally Posted by slwiser /img/forum/go_quote.gif
wink.gif

Now all I have to do is tell your wife (or girlfriend? or someone) and then I can get my hands on the microZ. Unless you're single, in which case you would be impervious to my anti-ninja powers.

In any event, it looks like my cc was charged the remaining balance yesterday. Yammy here I come. Now I can (*hopefully*) streamline my rig.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back