YAMAHA's new universal player better than Philips DVD 963SA...
Apr 7, 2003 at 4:08 PM Post #31 of 34
Thanks, Tuberoller, informative review!

The Yamaha still isn't out of consideration though, but I'll definitely wait for the Denon to decide, maybe finally stay with my 963SA.

peacesign.gif

Apr 7, 2003 at 4:45 PM Post #32 of 34
Quote:

I tend to believe that the DVD-A format is geared more towards the multi-channel playback while SACD is geared towards two-channel or stereo.I am not a multi-channel fan and I did not listen to the Yamaha in multi-channel.I only had three DVD-A discs (Eagles -Hotel California ,Grover Washington JR. - Winelight and John Coltrane - Bluetrain )I have all these titles on Audiophile vinyl as well and sought to compare the sound quality to the DVD-A discs.None of the sonics of the vinyl came through on the Yamaha in DVD-A format.The bass was again,excellent and accurate.The midrange was MIA and the treble was great.The DVD-A just does'nt do it for me.It lacks the warmth and the hard-hitting dynamics of SACD and the best vinyl.

Thanks for the review, tube. In general, I have great respect for your opinions, but I must disagree with the above. I have about 12 DVD-A discs, and I through my DVD-A player in my system, they sound amazing, vastly better than Redbook CD even in two-channel mode. I have the Bluetrain disc which isn't a DVD-A disc its a "DAD" or Digital Audio disc, another orphan format superceded by DVD-A. I'm not that impressed with it sonically either. Don't have the other two you mentioned, but maybe a sample size of two discs maybe isn't enough to judge the abilities of an entire format?

If you get a chance, it would be worth checking out the Buena Vista Social Club DVD-A. I get chills when I listen to that very simple, direct and live recording. Might change your mind about DVD-A.

Mark

Apr 7, 2003 at 6:33 PM Post #33 of 34
Quote:

Originally posted by markl
Thanks for the review, tube. In general, I have great respect for your opinions, but I must disagree with the above. I have about 12 DVD-A discs, and I through my DVD-A player in my system, they sound amazing, vastly better than Redbook CD even in two-channel mode. I have the Bluetrain disc which isn't a DVD-A disc its a "DAD" or Digital Audio disc, another orphan format superceded by DVD-A. I'm not that impressed with it sonically either. Don't have the other two you mentioned, but maybe a sample size of two discs maybe isn't enough to judge the abilities of an entire format?

If you get a chance, it would be worth checking out the Buena Vista Social Club DVD-A. I get chills when I listen to that very simple, direct and live recording. Might change your mind about DVD-A.

Mark

Hey Mark,

I don't know what a DAD disc is.The Bluetrain disc is listed as a DVD-A and was sold to me by Musicdirect as a DVD-A.It is read by the Yamaha as a DVD-A and all the packaging calls it a DVD-A disc.Please explain.

I've been listening to both high def formats since they were introduced around 1999 and I must say that SACD seems to generally sound better to my ears.I first heard them both at the Chicago Home Entertainment show and I thought DVD-A was superior in multi-channel and SACD was better for stereo.This is my opinion and I would never call anything I prefer fact.

Apr 7, 2003 at 6:58 PM Post #34 of 34
DAD was a format created by small music labels in response to creation of DVD. I has 24/96 audio that will play on regular DVD-players. They are essentially DVDs that only play on DVD-players, but unlike a DVD-A disc, they will play at full-rez on any DVD player. This was prior to advent of the superior DVD-A., which kind of mooted DAD.

On my copy of Blue Train in the see-thru spine it says: "24/96 DAD". There are no dates on my DAD, so I can't tell you when it was released. It's certainly possible they re-released it on DVD-Audio, but I think that's unlikely since I just saw that Blue Train is now coming to SACD!

DADs are often mis-placed in the DVD-Audio section along with all the DTS discs that also pre-dated DVD-Audio.

Mark

Users who are viewing this thread

Back