YAMAHA's new universal player better than Philips DVD 963SA...
Mar 1, 2003 at 7:51 PM Post #16 of 34
In my experience, the reviews in the German audio magazines are more reliable then in their English language counterparts (the worse is "What Hi-Fi?"). Jazz, do you have acces to their rankings? It would be interesting to see how other pretty well known players like the Sony 777ES or Arcam stuff are evaluated.

Mar 1, 2003 at 9:30 PM Post #17 of 34
The good thing with the «STEREO» ratings is: they're consequently based on 2-channel reproduction, unlike «Audio» and «Stereoplay». The bad thing is: you can't compare the sound between different categories – the best device of each category is rated as 100%. Fortunately the multiformat players are listed in all concerned categories, and the ratings therein refer to the corresponding format.

DVD-Audio players

Audionet VIP.................100 %
Denon DVD-A1................90 %
Onkyo DV-S 939..............85 %
Denon DVD-3800.............79 %
Yamaha DVD-S 2300......77 %
Yamaha DVD-S 1200........64 %
Marantz DV 8300...........63 %
Onkyo DV-S 757..............63 %
Pioneer DV-646 A............63 %
Toshiba SD-520...............61 %
Yamaha DVD-S 830..........61 %
Panasonic DVD-RA 71.......60 %
Pioneer DV-747 A..........60 %
Pioneer DV-757 Ai.........60 %
Denon DVD-1600.............59 %
Pioneer DV-656 A..........59 %
Toshiba SD-510...............59 %
etc................................55%

SACD players

Lindemann D 680............100 %
Sony SDC-XA777 ES.........93 %
Marantz SA-12 S1............91 %
Sony SDC-XA333 ES.........84 %
Philips SACD 1000............83 %
Yamaha DVD-S 2300......82 %
Sony SDC-555 ES............80 %
Philips DVD 963 SA...........75 %
Marantz DV 8300...........54 %
Sony SCD-XB770 QS.........53 %
Sony DVP-NS 900.............52 %
Sony SCD-XE 670.............51 %
Pioneer DV-757 Ai..........50 %
Sony SCD-XB780 QS.........49 %
Sony DVP-NS 905 V..........49 %
Pioneer DV-747 A...........49 %
Pioneer DV-656 A...........48 %
Philips DVD 962 SA............47 %
Philips DVD 763 SA............47 %
Sony DVP-NS 705 V..........45 %

red = multiformat

It's obvious that the Yamaha DVD-S 2300's 77% with DVD-A don't correspond with the 85% in the review. A reason could be that in the same «STEREO» issue the Audionet VIP was rated 100% as best of the category, replacing the Denon DVD-A1 which now has to content with 90%. So the players below are devaluated accordingly.

Mar 2, 2003 at 5:15 AM Post #18 of 34
Thanks Jazz, this is a very useful information. It is nice to meet someone can read in other language.
wink.gif
wink.gif

Mar 4, 2003 at 1:55 PM Post #19 of 34
Wow! I am absolutely dumbfounded that the Yamaha scored so high, and the Marantz scored so low??? I wish I could read German so that I can see on what basis they made their comparisons and what other gear they used.

Hmmm, this has already got me thinking my Marantz may hit ebay shortly...?

Mar 4, 2003 at 6:40 PM Post #20 of 34
I saw an add for the S2300 in the paper over the weekend. Goodguys had it for $999, but I can't find it listed on their website.

Mar 5, 2003 at 12:15 AM Post #21 of 34
merc: I wouldn't care too much about the results, because Stereo's scale seems rather non-linear. To me it seems that from ~ 50 % on the steps get smaller and smaller - and personal favour of certain signature sounds comes into play. Audio's scale seems more realistic to me...

Greetings from Munich!

Manfred / lini

Mar 7, 2003 at 6:20 AM Post #22 of 34
I returned the Yamaha tonight and I'll offer some comparisons when I get home in the morning.I gotta say the Yamaha is a "holy ****" kind of player.It is the first universal player that I have heard that sounds really,really good.The Marantz 8300 has some very stiff competition.......

Mar 7, 2003 at 6:36 AM Post #23 of 34
Tuberoller: I look forward to your S2300 comments. As for the 8300, I've been living with it in my office, hooked up to my ASL MG Head OTL and Senn HD600s for a week now. Nick's 5751 collection arrived and I've been having a ball doing some tube rolling. Still, whichever tube I've favored (right now the Sylv and ITT tubes) the 8300 is a wonderful 2 channel unit for SACD and redbook playback. Tonally and resolution wise, it is much better than my old Sony 555es, Denon 3700(redbook only), Denon 370, and numerous other players.

The only complaint that I have with the 8300 so far is that changing the output from 5.1 channel to 2 channel output requires an OSD menu change. The Sony could do this from either the remote or the front unit panel.

Tomorrow... a Chris Johnson modded Jolida JD-100 arrives...

More to come.
biggrin.gif

Mar 13, 2003 at 4:49 PM Post #25 of 34
What happened to Tuberoller, anyway?

For me, the answer is still the 963sa for the time being, simply because the Yamaha is a wee crustacean too expensive. Besides, better players (including universal ones) will supercede these soon.

Mar 16, 2003 at 7:22 AM Post #26 of 34
I will offer some impression when I get home friday.This latest crop of Universal players is fantastic.I don't think you guys would be disappointed with the Yamaha or the Marantz 8300.I still have'nt had a chance to spend any quality time with the Marantz but I will later this month.

Apr 7, 2003 at 2:50 AM Post #27 of 34
I've had a chance to spend some time with the Marantz DV8300 but returned the Yamaha a few weeks ago and it has since been sold by the dealer I borrowed it from.

I really liked the Yamaha.It is very well built and is a heavy duty looking and feeling player.It is fairly heavy,weiging about 20 pounds.It has a very nice and quiet transport and the RCA jacks seem to be of a much higher than usual quality.The remote is truly full featured and seems to control most of the frequently used functions directly though it is not backlit.It looks kind of plain and I hate that stupid yellow display color.It becomes tiring very quickly.There are seperate screen menus for each format and I think that is stupid.This requires set-up for each format seperately.The Yamaha S2300 was a true multi-player.It played every kind of disc I could find and never skipped on even my scratched discs.The Redbook CD playback was very,very good.The bass is excellent and I think is bested only by the best audio-only, non-upsampling players,like the Arcams.The midrange is good but lacks the sweetness and analog-like euphoric effect of players like the Philips DVD963SA.The treble detail is stunning and projects a complete and realistic impression of the upper frequency.I really like the treble a lot.The upper frequency bailed this player out of the dumps at every turn.Whenever I thought about the fantastic treble I was able to overlook other perceived shortcomings.SACD playback was very good as well.The bass was again killer.This is big bass done well.The SACD bass is very tight and super punchy.the impact is real and can be felt in your gut.Usually I would rave about the midrange on a good SACD player.The Yamaha just doesn't seem to have the midrange of the great SACD players.I played with some of the settings hoping that I accidently had the player in multi-channel format,I did'nt.The midrange seemed to hollow out and that effect hurt the overall soundstage and female vocals.The treble was even more rich and detailed on SACD playback.It is great and near the best.I normally would not forgive a less than stellar midrange performance on any player but the treble is so nice I just seem to forget about the midrange deficiencies.I tend to believe that the DVD-A format is geared more towards the multi-channel playback while SACD is geared towards two-channel or stereo.I am not a multi-channel fan and I did not listen to the Yamaha in multi-channel.I only had three DVD-A discs (Eagles -Hotel California ,Grover Washington JR. - Winelight and John Coltrane - Bluetrain )I have all these titles on Audiophile vinyl as well and sought to compare the sound quality to the DVD-A discs.None of the sonics of the vinyl came through on the Yamaha in DVD-A format.The bass was again,excellent and accurate.The midrange was MIA and the treble was great.The DVD-A just does'nt do it for me.It lacks the warmth and the hard-hitting dynamics of SACD and the best vinyl.Overall I would say the Yamaha DVD-S2300 is a solid candidate for best universal player and is a makes the leap to multi-format playback less risky.The DVD video playback was very good but it was quickly noticed by my wife that it was not as crisp as the Philips 963.There is slight color smearing and there is what appear to be "ghosting" on some DVDs.

I am entirely disappointed with the Marantz DV8300.It is well built and that's it.I really could'nt find much else to like about the Marantz.It is over-priced for the available performance and is,in my opinion,a big step backwards in terms of digital sound quality.I honestly think the cheapest Sony players sound better.The SACD performance was particularly poor.It lacked any semblance of a believable midrange and the soundsatge was one-dimensional and very thin.Every single vocal sounded "digital".There was a hard edge to every recording.Bass was boomy and bloated and treble was harsh and brittle.It was best at DVD-A playback where it was very detailed in the midrange but lacked good bass and still displayed the horrid treble grain.This player is a huge leap in the wrong direction for Marantz.I can't fathom how this player made it past the prototype stage.It's that bad.I won't hide the fact that I am not a fan of any of the Marantz SACD players but none of them has been as big a letdown as this one.This player promises so much and delivers so little.I am returning it tomorrow and I'll let the Marantz rep know what I think of it.The DVD-Video performance was not bad at all but this is an audio site and I would never pay $1600 for a DVD player.

I hated to beat up on the Marantz but somebody is asleep at the wheel at that place.The Yamaha is a solid player and I think I may buy one.I will borrow another for the Chicago meet in a few weeks and allow some other folks to offer impressions.I have to conclude that the Philips DVD 963SA is truly a fantastic all around player and I still think it is the best value digital player ever produced.The Yamaha is ,so far, the most serious multi-format player I have heard.I hope the new Denon is at least as good.I think the Yamaha is a great starting point and I hope that Yamaha continues to improve their digital rigs.Somebody at Marantz deserves to be unemployed.The DV8300 is a complete off-the-paper miss of the high definition target.

Apr 7, 2003 at 6:31 AM Post #28 of 34
Thanks tons for the detailed comparison, TR. So the 963 is still the best kit for the price.

I've been deliberating about the 963 due to my recent decision to save up eight months' survival money just in case. I've brought my salesman at J&R to new levels of anxiety on the subject. He so wants me to buy that piece.

Too bad about the sonic limitations of the Yamaha. I've always liked the way their gear was built.

I was surprised to see Grover Washington, Jr., on your listening list. Haven't heard that name in quite a while. I'm remembering the bassline to his version of Inner City Blues as we speak, though I'm partial to other vintage recordings (Red Clay, etc.) from the Creed Taylor days.

Apr 7, 2003 at 11:18 AM Post #29 of 34
Thanks for yet another really useful review Tuberoller. Looks like the Yamaha is not enough benefit for the price, and I don't need to invest in another standard.

Apr 7, 2003 at 1:21 PM Post #30 of 34
What an insightful review of both the Yamaha and Marantz.

I own an Philips 963 in part due to your review of it here. While I love the 963, I often wondered what if anything I was missing out on, by not spending the extra money for a universal machine?

From the sound of this lastest post, I'm not missing anything! I appreciate all your effort in these reviews. I only wish I had the time and resources to experiment the way you do.

I'd like to know what your prefered cables are for hooking up (SACD) to your amp?

Thanks

Users who are viewing this thread

Back