Yamaha YH-5000SE — a flagship from an orthodynamic headphones veteran!
Jan 26, 2024 at 1:39 AM Post #1,471 of 1,553
You're right, it's not all that helpful without proper context. But it's not something easily conveyed either. That's why I wrote an article with specific comparisons with all equipment stated up front. I'm obviously limited to what I have on hand, but at least you're aware of where I'm coming from. You either closely relate and find credibility in my opinion and experience, or you don't. But take everything with a grain of salt in the Internet anyway. Simple as that.

Although, in general, totl is whatever the company considers its flagship. And Yamaha most certainly considers this their statement piece.

You've never heard them on my chain and I've never heard them on yours, so there's already an obvious discrepancy. Doesn't matter whether you think higher quality amplification matters or not, the point being you didn't put your ears where I've heard them from. To clarify, that doesn't mean your experience is any less than mine. Both are simply data points.

I can go on and on about how the yh5k outclasses the 800s in spades from a performance standpoint (according to my standard of ideal sound based on my personal experiences), but like I said in my article, once you factor in your taste all bets are off. Some people love the 800s for what they are, quirks and all, and that won't change.
My final thought on this is simply that I don't agree the HD800S has 'quirks'. For what it's worth I think the better view is that the Yamaha has 'quirks'. But I think it would be better altogether not to suggest we have an objective list of 'quirks' that can be called in aid of personal opinion.

Last edited:
Jan 26, 2024 at 1:54 AM Post #1,472 of 1,553
I think it would be better to avoid commentary that suggests we have an objective list of 'quirks' that can be called in aid of personal opinion.
I'm simply stating it like how I hear it, and I will call out a headphones' quirks if need be. That's why I put a little disclaimer in the parentheses indicating it's based on my personal experiences. It's the reader's responsibility to not take in everything as fact.

Jan 26, 2024 at 2:08 AM Post #1,473 of 1,553
You're right, it's not all that helpful without proper context. But it's not something easily conveyed either. That's why I wrote an article with specific comparisons with all equipment stated up front. I'm obviously limited to what I have on hand, but at least you're aware of where I'm coming from. You either closely relate and find credibility in my opinion and experience, or you don't. But take everything with a grain of salt in the Internet anyway. Simple as that.

Although, in general, totl is whatever the company considers its flagship. And Yamaha most certainly considers this their statement piece.

You've never heard them on my chain and I've never heard them on yours, so there's already an obvious discrepancy. Doesn't matter whether you think higher quality amplification matters or not, the point being you didn't put your ears where I've heard them from. To clarify, that doesn't mean your experience is any less than mine. Both are simply data points.

I can go on and on about how the yh5k outclasses the 800s in spades from a performance standpoint (according to my standard of ideal sound based on my personal experiences), but like I said in my article, once you factor in your taste all bets are off. Some people love the 800s for what they are, quirks and all, and that won't change.
while i appreciate your point of view, i am yet to hear a headphone's sound signature fundamentally changed by the ancillary equipment that is paired with it. it's been a while since i've heard the yh-5000se and i have not felt inclined to return to it, which is telling given how keen i was to try it. its tuning was problematic for me and the fr measurements that i've seen are idiosyncratic to say the least. that said, i think the design and build quality is worthy of flagship status.

Last edited:
Jan 26, 2024 at 2:21 AM Post #1,474 of 1,553
while i appreciate your point of view, i am yet to hear a headphone's sound signature fundamentally changed by the ancillary equipment that is paired with it. it's been a while since i've heard the y5000k and i have not felt inclined to return to it, which is telling given how keen i was to try it. its tuning was problematic for me and the fr measurements that i've seen are idiosyncratic to say the least. that said, i think the design and build quality is worthy of flagship status.
And that's fine, like I mentioned I can see where some of the views are coming from. There are a whole lot of factors that go into it, which I won't go into to avoid starting anything "unhealthy" in this thread.

Jan 27, 2024 at 9:14 AM Post #1,476 of 1,553
Having heard far too many headphones, I think it’s fair to say every single one of them has certain quirks about them. Whether or not those quirks gel with the listener’s own preference is what makes the hunt for the right headphone so fun. I think it would be hard to deny the YH5k has some pretty significant quirks that I’ve yet to hear really smoothed out, even with my rather high end system, but I can understand why this sound can appeal to some better than others because it’s so different from the norm.

Jan 28, 2024 at 7:57 AM Post #1,477 of 1,553
Missed out on buying one of these used yesterday as I am in the market for a new daily use headphone to pair with a Feliks Euforia tube amp. Its one of the few flagship headphones I am yet to hear and yet the more I read and watch reviews it feels like the one that is most suited to my taste. I have a D8000 Pro for daily use which is great but its too weighty and as a result I am not always in the mood to listen to it. So to have a flagship that is as light and comfortable as this for longer listening sessions is a major plus. I read somewhere that its akin to an LCD5 with more pronounced bass, whilst opinion varies wildly from what I have read on these, if it is a more v-shaped signature then that could work for me as I enjoy a lot of bass driven music. In the past I have tended to enjoy headphones that are a little different and so I will do all I can to get a demo of these.

Jan 29, 2024 at 12:21 AM Post #1,478 of 1,553
Missed out on buying one of these used yesterday as I am in the market for a new daily use headphone to pair with a Feliks Euforia tube amp. Its one of the few flagship headphones I am yet to hear and yet the more I read and watch reviews it feels like the one that is most suited to my taste. I have a D8000 Pro for daily use which is great but its too weighty and as a result I am not always in the mood to listen to it. So to have a flagship that is as light and comfortable as this for longer listening sessions is a major plus. I read somewhere that its akin to an LCD5 with more pronounced bass, whilst opinion varies wildly from what I have read on these, if it is a more v-shaped signature then that could work for me as I enjoy a lot of bass driven music. In the past I have tended to enjoy headphones that are a little different and so I will do all I can to get a demo of these.
Fwiw, the d8kp sounds nothing like the yh5k... Very different sounding hps. In general, I think the d8kp is more v-shaped while the yh5k is more u-shaped (extension is better on the yh5k though).

Jan 29, 2024 at 3:18 PM Post #1,479 of 1,553
Thank you for your reply. After spending hours reading this thread and watching reviews I still am none the wiser as to whether would work for me in terms of sound or not such are the extremes on show here, would go so far as to say I have never been so on the fence about purchasing a headphone before. However a comfortable, great looking (IMO) easy to drive flagship headphone I could wear all day would be golden :)

Jan 30, 2024 at 7:00 AM Post #1,480 of 1,553
I tried a lot of hps when I went to purchase mine.
d8000pro was heavy as hell. wouldn't wear that even if you pay me. such big strain it placed on my neck that I thought I am wearing a brick, sound wise I was not impressed compared to yh5k.
I tried a bunch of dan clarks, I tried the new audiophile/studio hps from austrian audio called the composer (these were very comfy - but again, sound wise, yh5k was better to my ears).
I tried HD800 - not impressed.
I tried Susvaras - yh5k still.

I am not technical when it comes to compare the different sound, v-shape, u-shape, etc; so apologies for my very high level comment.

My point is - nothing I tried made me change my mind. Anything that I was trying, I could immediately feel the difference. Yh5K is so light, and it sounds damn good. Even on budget entry amp/dacs from Schiit audio, it is a dream to listen to. And I am sure I haven't burned them in properly yet.

Yh5K replaced my newly purchased beyerdynamic dt1990 250 ohm and my meze liric have not left the box ever since.

I can sleep comfortable at night knowing that I don't need to search for a better sound. I'm very happy with this.

Jan 30, 2024 at 10:05 AM Post #1,481 of 1,553
Great to hear, you are at the point I am hoping to reach for my 'daily use' setup. I reached that point for my 'critical listening' setup with Envy & Susvara, and I am hoping the Yammy to be the final piece in the journey that enables me to reach the end of the rabbit hole :)

I am expecting a demo unit to arrive in the next day or two courtesy of my favourite supplier, Audiobarn, cant wait to get my hands on these.

Jan 30, 2024 at 3:04 PM Post #1,482 of 1,553
Personally, I don't think the stock cable does it many favours. The tuning is ... well let's say, energetic (in a "5-year old who's just eaten 10 packs of Skittles", sort of way). Substituting a decent OCC copper cable has a calming effect, while still maintaining frequency extension and soundstage.

Jan 30, 2024 at 3:34 PM Post #1,483 of 1,553
Personally, I don't think the stock cable does it many favours. The tuning is ... well let's say, energetic (in a "5-year old who's just eaten 10 packs of Skittles", sort of way). Substituting a decent OCC copper cable has a calming effect, while still maintaining frequency extension and soundstage.
What other cables have you used with them?

Jan 30, 2024 at 10:27 PM Post #1,485 of 1,553
My final thought on this is simply that I don't agree the HD800S has 'quirks'. For what it's worth I think the better view is that the Yamaha has 'quirks'. But I think it would be better altogether not to suggest we have an objective list of 'quirks' that can be called in aid of personal opinion.
HD800S has quirks, for one it is the only headphone that keeps pulling out one of my short hair every time I use it. That swiveling handband is a hair puller. Did I buy a hair puller? nope but it acts like one when I use it. Never happen on my HD600/650 or any other headphone ever. Left or right it don't matter, it just takes one everytime. Do I have to mention the minuscule amount of bass/sub bass? Yet it is still near and dear to me for what it is. Nobody's perfect.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back