Yamaha YH-5000SE — a flagship from an orthodynamic headphones veteran!
Nov 5, 2023 at 5:15 PM Post #1,336 of 1,563
I don't think it's priced inappropriately at all when you compare it to other flagships; they perform at least as well (actually better imo). Value, on the other hand, is another story.
I agree that it's not inappropriately priced. My statement was geared more about its popularity. I think the fact that it costs $5,000 keeps a lot of people from trying it out.

Nov 5, 2023 at 10:27 PM Post #1,338 of 1,563
Interesting finds. Again … I think with a powerful tube amp this headphone is much better. It is fairly easy to drive (make loud) but without question a powerful well built tube amp is the way to go with these imo.

In my system the imaging and separation are a big strength and it ranks better than most of the headphones I have ever heard. Of what I have owned (I have owned most of the flagships over the years) the Snorry NM1 is the only headphone that outperformed in that aspect. The Snorry however wasnt particularly great at any thing else….

Soundstage wise … yes the HD800s is wider…. (I am not really a fan of it because it is artificially wide sounding to me). The YH-5000SE sound more natural and real sounding. It is also a taller stage than the HD800S.

Now I do not listen to classical and I dont know how the hiccup in the mids affects that genre. It likely explains why your experience is much different than mine. Modern Jazz, Modern Rock and Alternative with a little 90s and 2000s R&B sound as I described with my particular amps. But my A&K CA1000T (which is very good and versatile with very good power for what it is) sounds anemic, boring and I would have immediate sold the YH5000SE if that was my only amp. My opinion of it would be much different as well.

Detail wise…. To my ear,.this is probably the most detailed headphone out there….

This headphone is closest to the OG Focal Utopia to me in regards to finding the correct amp is absolutely necessary or it will be meh. Simple as that.

It does have that strange kind of distant nasally sound on just a few of my tracks. If your music is Brings this issue out more than mine, than I can understand where this will be a deciding factor as to whether to buy it or not. Most of my music, it is not noticeable at all. On most of my music this is the best headphone I have heard to date.

There is not a perfect headphone. The problem with this headphone is the cost and availability. If it was $3000 and mass produced where more people had it in their hands, this would be one of the most beloved. Right now, there are a ton of people bashing it that have never even heard it or never heard it in the most advantageous setting which brings the most out of it. WebSites where guys masturbate to graphs rather than listen to music (you know which one i am referring too) are big culprits to why this headphone isn't as popular as it should be.
the yh5000se didn't sound any more resolving than the d8000 pro or the diana tc to my ears and i doubt that it would eclipse an estat but yes, it is a highly resolving headphone. i've seen the fr graphs and can understand why some folks are alarmed by them but they don't tell the whole story. i treat headphone measurements as indicative rather than absolute.

the price of the yh5000se puts it squarely in summit-fi territory and there is a forum for that here. it's not going to appeal to the masses, who i suspect would still regard a reduced asking price of $3000 for it as insane. i'm under the impression that yamaha intends to release the yh5000 down the track, which should be less expensive than the special edition that is available currently. as to whether that will make it 'one of the most beloved' headphones and 'as popular as it should be' remains to be seen.

auditioning headphones (especially a company's expensive flagship) in 'the most advantageous setting' i.e., at home, would be ideal but that option has never been available to me. i know that i am not alone in having to make my headphone assessments in-store. if a headphone appeals to me enough to want to own it, then i'll return for another audition. while the yh5000se's design, build quality and light weight impressed, there was something about its sonic character that sounded odd to me and i don't think it was the partnering equipment. i find myself thinking that i should give it another chance rather than wanting to hear it again, which is telling for me at least.

I'd agree with that. These are my thoughts as well. Also, comparing headphones and speakers, which is not rare for people to say, "they sound like speakers", is completely to give attributes that are not there. I would instead call that airy or spacious... but attribute the soundstage as it is with speakers, funny at least. Just like people call "art" whatever they think of...art in bakery, art in engineering...art in making coffee, latte art (I like that the most) :) ...and not understanding what art even is or means.

Hm, you don't have to lurk on other websites; many people do that here. They visit threads and bash stuff for no reason but to indulge their ego and vanity... and then, on other threads they support, act like goody two shoes.

Enjoy, man, these are special headphones for many reasons, not only soundwise.

Cheers!
i get that you are a fan of this headphone but shouldn't you at least try it before making such pronouncements?

Last edited:
Nov 6, 2023 at 12:24 AM Post #1,339 of 1,563
Hmm, it looks like TSAV is a dealer for the YH-5K. @TSAVJason is a demo unit available at the TSAV store? I'll be in the LA area around Thanksgiving and I'm very curious to try out the Yamaha.

Nov 6, 2023 at 8:19 AM Post #1,340 of 1,563
i get that you are a fan of this headphone but shouldn't you at least try it before making such pronouncements?

I am not allowed to share the excitement of something I consider great. Hmm, it seems to me that you didn't read what I wrote above, or you only read parts.

Can you be a fan of Lamborghini even though you will never be able to try or drive one?
Cheers! From a Yamaha Cheerlader :wink:

Nov 6, 2023 at 11:20 AM Post #1,342 of 1,563
Then you shouldn't ask that because I never gave any judgment about the sound. The rest of what I wrote explained why I have a certain admiration for these headphones...; I also believe those positive comments from people who own them... matter.

Nov 6, 2023 at 3:04 PM Post #1,343 of 1,563
Hi, can someone, ideal some owner, give some advice which head amp works fine with the YH-5000SE?
I am currently running them with Sony TA-Z1HES/Cayin N8II which is fine but as reading several posts there is some potential for improvement.
I really enjoyed the yamaha on chord dave and feliks envy but that is a bit too expensive for me.
The budget is about 4000-5000€/$.
I was thinking of the Yamaha HA-L7A as they are advertised for being constructed for the YH-5000SE but it isn't released yet and therefore hard to get information/experiences.
I am a bit concerned of the power which is weaker than the TA-Z1HES on paper.
I am thankful for any advice :)

Nov 6, 2023 at 4:44 PM Post #1,344 of 1,563
Hi, can someone, ideal some owner, give some advice which head amp works fine with the YH-5000SE?
I am currently running them with Sony TA-Z1HES/Cayin N8II which is fine but as reading several posts there is some potential for improvement.
I really enjoyed the yamaha on chord dave and feliks envy but that is a bit too expensive for me.
I was thinking of the Yamaha HA-L7A as they are advertised for being constructed for the YH-5000SE but it isn't released yet and therefore hard to get information/experiences.
The Sony is a very nice amp in my view - now that you mention it, I would have expected it to be one of the best matches out there for the YH5000. Unless you're after a darker, old-style valve presentation, I doubt you could do much better at any price.

Nov 6, 2023 at 4:50 PM Post #1,345 of 1,563
Several head-fiers disagree and think it doesnt matter …. But this user experience hears that this headphone works best with a tube amp. Simple as that. I am running very well with a Trafomatic Head 2 and with a ampsandsound Bigger Ben Rev 2.

Nov 6, 2023 at 5:08 PM Post #1,346 of 1,563
Thanks for your opinions.
I do like the Sony amp but it isn't in the price class as the YH-5000SE so I thought there is some space for improvement.

I think that tubes are great for headphones in general, I love the tube modus on the Cayin N8II.
I will take a look on the mentioned amps.

I should add that I plan to use a roon core as source and the daps. So it would bei great if the amp has USB-B and Coaxial Inputs.

Nov 6, 2023 at 6:04 PM Post #1,347 of 1,563
Thanks for your opinions.
I do like the Sony amp but it isn't in the price class as the YH-5000SE so I thought there is some space for improvement.

I think that tubes are great for headphones in general, I love the tube modus on the Cayin N8II.
I will take a look on the mentioned amps.

I should add that I plan to use a roon core as source and the daps. So it would bei great if the amp has USB-B and Coaxial Inputs.
Without being an integrated and having a built in dac….I am not sure you will find a tube amp with a USB or coaxial input. You will likely find rca and xlr as your only options with the majority of amps.

Nov 6, 2023 at 7:50 PM Post #1,348 of 1,563
Then you shouldn't ask that because I never gave any judgment about the sound. The rest of what I wrote explained why I have a certain admiration for these headphones...; I also believe those positive comments from people who own them... matter.
i appreciate that you did not comment on the sound of the yh5000se in your post but you did make other assertions, which is why i asked the question. your unbridled enthusiasm for this headphone is apparent. i think that feedback from people who have had first-hand experience with the yh5000se also matters - whether it be positive or negative.

Last edited:
Nov 7, 2023 at 1:36 AM Post #1,349 of 1,563
Without being an integrated and having a built in dac….I am not sure you will find a tube amp with a USB or coaxial input. You will likely find rca and xlr as your only options with the majority of amps.
Right, would need a DAC. I am not that experienced with tube amps aside from trying out at conventions/store. Thought there would bei some combos like in the SS category.

Is it advisable to use a 4.4mm to XLR or RCA connector to use the Cayin N8II as a DAC?
I could imagine adding a desktop DAC at a later date .

Nov 7, 2023 at 1:42 AM Post #1,350 of 1,563
I agree that it's not inappropriately priced. My statement was geared more about its popularity. I think the fact that it costs $5,000 keeps a lot of people from trying it out.
I agree and seeing them much less expensive in Japan(about $3000) is a point too.
Afaik it doesn't have huge production numbers though.
My serial number is <200 while having bought in may.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back