Yamaha YH-5000SE — a flagship from an orthodynamic headphones veteran!
Nov 2, 2023 at 8:06 PM Post #1,321 of 1,553
Nah... I believe it is!!!

Emoji...

Some folks can't afford Bentley, and some can. Is Bently that much better than the Honda Accord as the price would suggest?

LCD-5 is almost the price of Yamaha...I wasn't impressed at all a while ago when I tried it...but with Utopia, it's a whole different story to me...Still, LCD-5 has it's fans!

:wink:
Which Utopia? They felt too close and too warm for me (2022). LCD-5 would be behind the Yamaha for me, but that’s the detail and imaging of the YH-5000SE doing crazy things to me.

Nov 2, 2023 at 10:01 PM Post #1,322 of 1,553
I JUST got to listen to these and… only the Dan Clark Audio electrostats competed for my attention.

I heard extra treble energy on the eses (sibilance), but it was minor at best and everything else this headphone delivers makes me feel like I’d get used to it. When I listened to the Utopia 2022 or LCD-5, I WANTED the extra energy, even in the upper mids. It means turning the volume down on less than stellar recordings where the producer put too much bit into the mix at that level, but many other recordings didn’t have the issue.

This was an intoxicating listen. It knocked Abyss, HiFiMan HE1000se, and Audeze out of the running for me.

It’s time to start saving pennies.
What was the chain, out of curiosity?

It took me quite a lot of work to get mine practically sibilant-free (unless it's baked into the recording)... Not that it was a major issue before, but the yh5k was so fussy about what I plugged into it. At least now I'm satisfied.

Last edited:
Nov 2, 2023 at 10:45 PM Post #1,323 of 1,553
What was the chain, out of curiosity?

It took me quite a lot of work to get mine practically sibilant-free... Not that it was a major issue before, but the yh5k was so fussy about what I plugged into it. At least now I'm satisfied.
Qobuz on an Astell & Kern DAP to USB-C out to Chord M-Scaler to Chord Hugo TT. And I didn’t completely eliminate it.

What’s your preferred chain for this headphone?

Nov 2, 2023 at 11:00 PM Post #1,324 of 1,553
What’s your preferred chain for this headphone?
I haven't tried my other amps with it yet... I will soon. I'll update the article I wrote accordingly as it's being revamped at the moment. I was mostly referring to cables when I said that.

But the synergy is fantastic with the crayon cha-1, which is typically very speedy yet smooth at the same time (great synergy with the hd800s too). So pairing it with an energetic DAC will do it good. It balances out the yh5k very very well.

Last edited:
Nov 2, 2023 at 11:01 PM Post #1,325 of 1,553
I haven't tried my other amps with it yet... I will soon. I was mostly referring to cables when I said that.

But the synergy is fantastic with the crayon cha-1, which is typically very speedy yet smooth at the same time (great synergy with the hd800s too). So pairing it with an energetic DAC will do it good. It balances out the yh5k very very well.
What was the cable, then?

Nov 2, 2023 at 11:17 PM Post #1,326 of 1,553
What was the cable, then?
The cable that showcased some sibilance was further upstream in my system, in the digital side. It took me awhile to troubleshoot but I found the weak link. It wasn't an issue I had with my other headphones, but only the yh5k was able to pick it up. Hence why I mentioned it was fussy.

As for the downstream cable, the one that plugs into the yh5k, I've tried the stock cable, a danacable, and a brise cable. The Dana was good but it upset the already balanced yh5k, the stock had good synergy but it didn't have the technical ability, and the brise was perfect. It kept all the balance and elevated the headphone very very well. I liked it so much I bought a custom cable from them, which should be coming soon.

Nov 3, 2023 at 9:26 AM Post #1,327 of 1,553
The cable that showcased some sibilance was further upstream in my system, in the digital side. It took me awhile to troubleshoot but I found the weak link. It wasn't an issue I had with my other headphones, but only the yh5k was able to pick it up. Hence why I mentioned it was fussy.

As for the downstream cable, the one that plugs into the yh5k, I've tried the stock cable, a danacable, and a brise cable. The Dana was good but it upset the already balanced yh5k, the stock had good synergy but it didn't have the technical ability, and the brise was perfect. It kept all the balance and elevated the headphone very very well. I liked it so much I bought a custom cable from them, which should be coming soon.
What model Brise cable did you get?

Nov 3, 2023 at 11:38 AM Post #1,328 of 1,553
What model Brise cable did you get?
Currently have the yatono-hp ultimate (for a utopia but I have adapters), then upgraded to the Orochi (which is the custom). It uses the same wire material as the murakomo but without the crazy shielding. It's actually a great time to buy cables from them, the price is considerably lower when I asked for a quote. The difference between the yatono and Orochi was very small compared to a few months ago. I also have the mikumari but on another headphone, it's a very similar experience throughout their whole line.

Last edited:
Nov 3, 2023 at 2:07 PM Post #1,329 of 1,553
Which Utopia?
How many Utopias are out there? :)
I don't know if you got exactly what I wrote about LCD-5...It didn't catch my attention like some other cans.

Hmm, unfortunately, I haven't listened to Yamaha, but I already love it. Why? Well, there are many aspects of headphones except the sound.

The build quality and design are stellar. I can have an impression about build quality even though I didn't hold them. It's enough to know about the materials they used and design; I don't have to hold them; I have my eyes, and my occupation in life is related to visuals. I have a Sony MDR Z1R, and I couldn't have the complete picture just by looking at them in photos. I couldn't imagine the weight, I couldn't imagine comfort, and I couldn't get the full picture because, honestly, the photos don't represent them as they look and feel in real. It was a really surprising moment, almost shocking for me, when I received a pair. I was stunned!

They are at the very top of my favourite headphones that I own.

So...I have the impression that these Yamaha cans have the same build quality. And those aspects I couldn't imagine with Sony, but now with Yamaha, I can.

Also, I love the brand and the name of YAMAHA!

I hope I can audition them in the future and, as you said, start saving money for a pair :)

Cheers!

Nov 3, 2023 at 9:09 PM Post #1,330 of 1,553
Currently have the yatono-hp ultimate (for a utopia but I have adapters), then upgraded to the Orochi (which is the custom). It uses the same wire material as the murakomo but without the crazy shielding. It's actually a great time to buy cables from them, the price is considerably lower when I asked for a quote. The difference between the yatono and Orochi was very small compared to a few months ago. I also have the mikumari but on another headphone, it's a very similar experience throughout their whole line.
Thanks, I’ll have to read up on their model names. I want to try one of their cables, but I’m more interested in getting a set of the YH-5000SE’s first. Thank’s for the info!

Nov 4, 2023 at 2:15 AM Post #1,331 of 1,553
Thanks, I’ll have to read up on their model names. I want to try one of their cables, but I’m more interested in getting a set of the YH-5000SE’s first. Thank’s for the info!
Feel free to hit me up if you want to know anything specific, so we don't derail the thread too much. Brise works well with the d8kp as well, fwiw

Nov 5, 2023 at 12:17 AM Post #1,332 of 1,553
Some final thoughts on the YH5000SE – having listened now to a wide range of classical music with various amps. The presentation has been stable from first listening.

While I typically prefer dynamic phones, I think the Yamaha has some appealing qualities. I find it can be quite beguiling in the way it deals with lower frequencies. I think of these phones as building on weight and power.

But for me the recessed mid-frequency presence-band (as I hear it – I haven’t measured it) remains a problem.

I think the Yamaha can deliver good detail and timbre with some recordings. But I feel the mid-band presentation imposes significant constraints. Clarity and precision are generally lost in a wash of sound when musical lines are complex. To my ear the Yamaha lacks the refinement and delicacy of good dynamic (and planar) phones in terms of separation and dynamic shading. The music often feels slightly closed-in as a result.

Surprisingly, I find the Yamaha can also be a little ponderous and congested when bass lines are complex – not lithe or articulate – another problem for a ‘natural’ presentation, I think.

Perhaps my response to the Yamaha just tends to confirm a personal preference for a diffuse-field tuning – which does seem critical in my case to capturing the life in classical music. But, for what it’s worth, I can’t really imagine anyone who values the open spaces and separation of phones like the HD800S and ADX5000 being happy with the Yamaha.

Last edited:
Nov 5, 2023 at 10:12 AM Post #1,333 of 1,553
Some final thoughts on the YH5000SE – having listened now to a wide range of classical music with various amps. The presentation has been stable from first listening.

While I typically prefer dynamic phones, I think the Yamaha has some appealing qualities. I find it can be quite beguiling in the way it deals with lower frequencies. I think of these phones as building on weight and power.

But for me the recessed mid-band (as I hear it – I haven’t measured it) remains a problem.

I think the Yamaha can deliver good detail and timbre with some recordings. But I feel the mid-band presentation imposes some significant constraints. Clarity and precision can be lost in a wash of sound when musical lines are complex. To my ear the Yamaha lacks the refinement and delicacy of good dynamic phones in terms of separation and dynamic shading. The music often feels slightly closed-in as a result.

Surprisingly, I find the Yamaha can also be a little ponderous and congested when bass lines are complex – not lithe or articulate – another problem for a ‘natural’ presentation, I think.

Perhaps my response to the Yamaha just tends to confirm a personal preference for a diffuse-field tuning – which does seem critical in my case to capturing the life in classical music. But, for what it’s worth, I can’t really imagine anyone who values the open spaces and separation of phones like the HD800S and ADX5000 being happy with the Yamaha.
Interesting finds. Again … I think with a powerful tube amp this headphone is much better. It is fairly easy to drive (make loud) but without question a powerful well built tube amp is the way to go with these imo.

In my system the imaging and separation are a big strength and it ranks better than most of the headphones I have ever heard. Of what I have owned (I have owned most of the flagships over the years) the Snorry NM1 is the only headphone that outperformed in that aspect. The Snorry however wasnt particularly great at any thing else….

Soundstage wise … yes the HD800s is wider…. (I am not really a fan of it because it is artificially wide sounding to me). The YH-5000SE sound more natural and real sounding. It is also a taller stage than the HD800S.

Now I do not listen to classical and I dont know how the hiccup in the mids affects that genre. It likely explains why your experience is much different than mine. Modern Jazz, Modern Rock and Alternative with a little 90s and 2000s R&B sound as I described with my particular amps. But my A&K CA1000T (which is very good and versatile with very good power for what it is) sounds anemic, boring and I would have immediate sold the YH5000SE if that was my only amp. My opinion of it would be much different as well.

Detail wise…. To my ear,.this is probably the most detailed headphone out there….

This headphone is closest to the OG Focal Utopia to me in regards to finding the correct amp is absolutely necessary or it will be meh. Simple as that.

It does have that strange kind of distant nasally sound on just a few of my tracks. If your music is Brings this issue out more than mine, than I can understand where this will be a deciding factor as to whether to buy it or not. Most of my music, it is not noticeable at all. On most of my music this is the best headphone I have heard to date.

There is not a perfect headphone. The problem with this headphone is the cost and availability. If it was $3000 and mass produced where more people had it in their hands, this would be one of the most beloved. Right now, there are a ton of people bashing it that have never even heard it or never heard it in the most advantageous setting which brings the most out of it. WebSites where guys masturbate to graphs rather than listen to music (you know which one i am referring too) are big culprits to why this headphone isn't as popular as it should be.

Last edited:
Nov 5, 2023 at 12:04 PM Post #1,334 of 1,553
Soundstage wise … yes the HD800s is wider…. (I am not really a fan of it because it is artificially wide sounding to me).
I'd agree with that. These are my thoughts as well. Also, comparing headphones and speakers, which is not rare for people to say, "they sound like speakers", is completely to give attributes that are not there. I would instead call that airy or spacious... but attribute the soundstage as it is with speakers, funny at least. Just like people call "art" whatever they think of...art in bakery, art in engineering...art in making coffee, latte art (I like that the most) :) ...and not understanding what art even is or means.

WebSites where guys masturbate to graphs rather than listen to music (you know which one i am referring too) are big culprits to why this headphone isn't as popular as it should be.
Hm, you don't have to lurk on other websites; many people do that here. They visit threads and bash stuff for no reason but to indulge their ego and vanity... and then, on other threads they support, act like goody two shoes.

Enjoy, man, these are special headphones for many reasons, not only soundwise.

Cheers!

Nov 5, 2023 at 1:48 PM Post #1,335 of 1,553
A lot of this is relative for sure, especially when it comes to the hi-end. It's crucial to get synergy right, or you will have an underwhelming and more compromised experience. That doesn't mean this HP requires hi-end gear to sound good, that's not how synergy works, but oftentimes, to get the best performance out of something usually means having to pay the price for it.

Some of these various impressions are already a telltale sign that these can be picky hps, as most totl hps can be. These aren't forgiving, and for some people they see it as a downside/negative. I can understand that, but for me this isn't a downside at all, it's just more work. There are more forgiving hps out there, so there are other options. This is why I suggest looking at the bigger picture. A well synergized system will always win out in the end.
The problem with this headphone is the cost and availability
I don't think it's priced inappropriately at all when you compare it to other flagships; they perform at least as well (actually better imo). Value, on the other hand, is another story.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back