Yamaha RX-V663 Amplifier/Receiver
Sep 28, 2008 at 3:04 AM Post #46 of 72
Quote:

Originally Posted by ATHFan /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well, I just went to the hifi store again to audition some headphones. First, I want to clear something up: The DT 880 do fit my head! The one that didn't fit apparently had faulty mechanics which made it impossible to extend the headphone. The store owner explained this to me and gave me another pair which did fit.

The headphones I tested were the AKG K 701, K 601, Beyerdynamic DT 990, DT 880 and Grado SR 325i. Here are some quick first impressions from me. Remember, these impressions are based of my opinions after a short time of listening and might not represent your taste and experience.

AKG K 701: These were awesome. They were very spacious and had lots of clarity and detail to everything. Some might call these bass-shy headphones, but I disagree. I enjoyed these headphones a lot listening to some hip hop and R&B songs.

AKG K 601: Like the K 701, these produced a very spacious sound, and were very detailed, but not quite as detailed as the K 701, which makes it sound a bit less exciting. It's almost like the K 701 are more full of life or something.

Beyerdynamic DT 990: Put these on... "Woow, way too dark for me.". Let's try the DT 880...

Beyerdynamic DT 880: "Now that's better!" These headphones were pretty good. The bass had a little bit more impact and depth than the K 701. The soundstage was also quite large, but it doesn't compare to the K 701/601's. Like the K 701, these produce a very neutral sound, yet somehow, these also sound a little less exciting as well.

Grado SR 325i: Just wanted to try them for once. These were pretty exciting to listen to. They aren't neutral by any means, but the added coloration to the sound is actually quite nice. They probably have the best bass of all these headphones. The detail is also quite exceptional. Overall, these are very nice headphones. I understand why people call Grado "The king of rock" now. My only complaint to these headphones is that the soundstage was very small.

Overall, I liked the K 701 best here. I only doubt they will sound good on the Yamaha RX-V663 receiver. Now I just wish I could audition the ATH-AD900 for once.

Too bad you couldn't test them with gaming.

Sep 28, 2008 at 5:17 AM Post #47 of 72
well, i just spent 2 days with a dt880 (03) driven by my v663 and (to cut things short) i love it... now back to my blurays
smily_headphones1.gif

Sep 28, 2008 at 7:13 AM Post #48 of 72
Quote:

Originally Posted by scompton /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Where do you live that you can test all of those headphones. No place around DC that you can do that.

I live in the Netherlands. The store was in Amsterdam.

Sep 29, 2008 at 2:28 AM Post #50 of 72
Hi ATHFan,

I'm very interested in K-701 and RX-V663 combo too. It might as well be my next set up. Would you please let me know if you happen to have a chance to test them together? Thanks!!

Sep 29, 2008 at 3:48 PM Post #51 of 72
Quote:

Originally Posted by moonsurf /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hi ATHFan,

I'm very interested in K-701 and RX-V663 combo too. It might as well be my next set up. Would you please let me know if you happen to have a chance to test them together? Thanks!!

Sure, I will if I get the chance.
regular_smile .gif
I doubt it though. The store didn't have a RX-V663 on display. Though there was a RX-V863, it wasn't connected. I doubt they'd go all the trouble to connect these devices just for to try them out.

Oct 1, 2008 at 2:57 AM Post #52 of 72
Bump!
Really curious on this conversation because I noticed the RX1800 is very within my budget limit.
Have nothing to run things through my PS3 and Xbox besides my AX360headhpones that I bought out of curiousity. They are interesting and work for nighttime use.
But if I can get this yamaha receiver and can run my PS3/360's optical audio through for Silent Cinema, will this be a much significant upgrade?

I have Portapros, and Triple-fis at the moment. Taking suggestions for closed headphones to use at home. Was looking at the JVC DX1000 for music use, and maybe it can help with gaming on an equal priority level.
For computer use, think I can a HeadRoom Micro DAC through to the Yamaha for FPS gaming? or any videos with surround.

Oct 13, 2008 at 5:19 PM Post #53 of 72
I just ordered the Audio-Technica ATH-AD900 headphones together with a Sony KDL-40W4500 HDTV (from different stores).

After reading a number of threads regarding the Yamaha RX-V663, I found out that this receiver clips the black and white levels and therefore does not pass Blacker Than Black and Whiter Than White, which is a big disappointment actually.

I mailed Yamaha a couple of days ago asking if it's possible to disable all video processing on the receiver to forward a 1:1 , as-is picture, but I haven't received a reply yet.

Edit: Apparenty I've been stupid, if you set up all devices to Limited range RGB, then there souldnt be a problem. So I guess there's nothing wrong with the RX-V663.

Nov 6, 2008 at 1:48 AM Post #55 of 72
I was planning on buying a V863 for the Silent Cinema feature mostly. Think Silent Cinema would work fine with in ear headphones? my Triple-fis.
Or should I just go for the V663 version and use the remainder money for over-ear closed-style headphones?

Nov 7, 2008 at 2:19 AM Post #56 of 72
I'd go for full sized headphones. When I tried it at Best Buy with the DT880 250ohm, it drove them to very high levels. I can't imagine plugging in a low impedance, high sensitivity headphone into them.

Nov 7, 2008 at 2:25 AM Post #57 of 72
Nice, I'll take that into account. Verrrry thanks for the feedback.

Nov 8, 2008 at 2:11 AM Post #58 of 72
After reading this thread this morning, I decided to take my Senn HD580s to the store to satisfy my own curiosity. All day, as I worked, I listened to a Blueray surround demo and a 5.1 DTS Dianna Krall disc powered by a $2K Pioneer Elite receiver driving $6K worth of Vienna Acoustics speakers (with a Definitive Technology sub). A great surround sound system. When the work day was done, I went back into the studio and plugged my Senns into the V663 and a V1900 (no 1800 in now).

Silent Cinema rocks. Does it reproduce the spatial effects of five speakers and a sub in a room? No. But it produces pretty convincing surround sound, with everything in the right place. And both of those receivers drove the Senns, which have a notoriously challenging impedance curve, beautifully. Then, just for giggles, I tried the Dianna Krall disc on "Pure Direct," a mode on the Yamahas that bi-passes all processing, switching and tone controls that are not absolutely necessary to get from digital input to the transducers. For music, I liked this mode better. Yeah, some of the spaciousness of the DTS surround on the Dianna Krall disc was lost, but the detail and purity in the midrange was worth it. For a few more giggles, I popped in a straight redbook CD of Sonny Rollins "Saxophone Colossus." Just beautiful. Cymbals were bright and shimmering with no hash or hiss. The sax was rich and full and detailed. The tom-toms and standup bass were full and present with no noticeable boom or hangover. The two Yammies did a fine job of driving my Sennheisers and taking beautiful control of them in the process. And frankly, through headphones, I didn't hear a nickel's worth of difference between them. If headphones are going to be you primary transducers, I wouldn't hesitate to buy the 336. Even if I was going to spend much of my time listening to music in stereo.

Tim

Nov 8, 2008 at 3:53 AM Post #60 of 72
Quote:

Originally Posted by nauxolo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Have you tried plugging headphones into a Pioneer Elite? My parents own the 49TX, and I plugged my ATH-AD900 in it. The source was my cowon iaudio x5 via headphone out with no EQs on via Monster Cables into the machines RCA L/R jack.

I was very disappointed by the headphone out on the machine. Although these headphones finally had bass, it was all muddy, and jumbled and very unclear. Classical music felt unchanged (not improve at all), rock music just felt unbearable, etc.

After doing this, I promptly decided that all receivers will not do for my headphone needs. I may be wrong, and there may be some good ones... but the 49TX made me think... if a 1500+ receiver won't even have a good nice headphone out, what makes the cheaper (my budget) ones have it?

I think it might have less to do with the receiver than with the headphones. What is the impedance of the Audio Technicas? My understanding is that most receivers, with a few rare exceptions, power the headphone jack by simply stepping down the output of the mains through a nest of resistors. This has virtually no effect on the frequency response of a high impedance load, but can significantly change the response of low impedance headphones. This is all reading, mind you. What I know is that my 300 ohm Senns sound very good through good quality receivers and integrated amps. In fact, I have A/B'd them against good quality dedicated headphone amps and heard no significant difference.

Tim

Users who are viewing this thread

Back