Yamaha RX-V663 Amplifier/Receiver
Aug 30, 2008 at 4:51 AM Post #31 of 72
So everyone agrees the RX-V663 and DT 880 is a good combo? Should I go for the 600 ohms version or play it safe and go for the 250 ohms version instead? Like I mentioned before, I'll probably order from Beyerdynamic's MANUFAKTUR site either way.

Sep 21, 2008 at 1:57 PM Post #33 of 72
Quote:

Originally Posted by callmevil /img/forum/go_quote.gif
whats the outcome from this?

Well, I actually got the chance to audition the DT 880 a few days ago. The sound was really good as expected, but the comfort was an issue for me since it didn't fit. My head is too big for the DT 880. I did not have a chance to test the DT 880 with the RX-V663, so I don't know how that sounds.

I also got the chance to audition the AKG K 701. These actually impressed me even more than the DT 880. On the contrary to what a lot of people claim, the K 701 were extremely fun sounding headphones. The soundstage was huge, the detail was exceptional and the bass was very punchy without being overwhelming. I could easily enjoy the sound when listening to Hip Hop and R&B songs. Plus they fit on my head!
tongue_smile.gif

I just wonder if the RX-V663 would be able to drive the K 701 well (Can anyone confirm this?). This is why I'm also considering the Audio-Technica ATH-AD900. These headphones should be easier to drive, which could mean that they actually sound better on the RX-V663 if it can't drive the K 701 well (Not to say that the ATH-AD900 always sound better when K 701 is properly amped).

I'm planning to purchase a receiver and headphones before the next month is over, so I'm still looking. The RX-V663 still stands on top of my list for my next purchase, but this time, in stead of the DT 880, I'm considering to purchase the K 701 or Audio-Technica ATH-AD900 as my next pair of headphones.

Sep 22, 2008 at 2:18 AM Post #34 of 72
You must have a huge head because the DT880 is one of the most comfortable headphones I own. I've never tried the K701 except for a few minutes at a meet. I do have other AKGs and they are comfortable as well. A number of people have complained about the bumps on the head band of the K701.

Sep 22, 2008 at 2:50 AM Post #35 of 72
Quote:

Originally Posted by ATHFan /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well, I actually got the chance to audition the DT 880 a few days ago. The sound was really good as expected, but the comfort was an issue for me since it didn't fit. My head is too big for the DT 880. I did not have a chance to test the DT 880 with the RX-V663, so I don't know how that sounds.

I also got the chance to audition the AKG K 701. These actually impressed me even more than the DT 880. On the contrary to what a lot of people claim, the K 701 were extremely fun sounding headphones. The soundstage was huge, the detail was exceptional and the bass was very punchy without being overwhelming. I could easily enjoy the sound when listening to Hip Hop and R&B songs. Plus they fit on my head!
tongue_smile.gif

I just wonder if the RX-V663 would be able to drive the K 701 well (Can anyone confirm this?). This is why I'm also considering the Audio-Technica ATH-AD900. These headphones should be easier to drive, which could mean that they actually sound better on the RX-V663 if it can't drive the K 701 well (Not to say that the ATH-AD900 always sound better when K 701 is properly amped).

I'm planning to purchase a receiver and headphones before the next month is over, so I'm still looking. The RX-V663 still stands on top of my list for my next purchase, but this time, in stead of the DT 880, I'm considering to purchase the K 701 or Audio-Technica ATH-AD900 as my next pair of headphones.

The 701s are very finicky. You really need to find an amp that synergises well with them. Id recommend the 601's. Better for gaming aswell.

Sep 22, 2008 at 7:15 AM Post #36 of 72
Quote:

Originally Posted by scompton /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You must have a huge head because the DT880 is one of the most comfortable headphones I own. I've never tried the K701 except for a few minutes at a meet. I do have other AKGs and they are comfortable as well. A number of people have complained about the bumps on the head band of the K701.

The DT 880 were still comfortable, I just couldn't get the earpads to center around my ear perfectly. Although it's not freakishly large, I do have a large head. I blame my large brains for this!
tongue_smile.gif

In the short time I listened to the K 701, the bumps in the headband did not annoy me for one bit, but that could change after long periods of usage.

Sep 22, 2008 at 7:19 AM Post #37 of 72
Quote:

Originally Posted by kool bubba ice /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The 701s are very finicky. You really need to find an amp that synergises well with them. Id recommend the 601's. Better for gaming aswell.

Thanks for the recommendation. I think that same store has the the K 601 as well. I'll try auditioning them in the near future.

But why would the K 601 be better for gaming? I always though the K 701 does everything better than the K 601. Wouldn't the K 601 be just as hard to drive as the K 701?

Sep 22, 2008 at 12:57 PM Post #38 of 72
From what I've read, the K601 requires more volts and the K701 requires more amps. The K601 aren't particularly hard to drive. My pair have sounded good out of everything I've plugged them into, including wall powered portable amps. The sound is similar to the DT880 with better sound stage. Sound stage should be similar to the K701.

Sep 22, 2008 at 1:37 PM Post #39 of 72
Quote:

The DT 880 were still comfortable, I just couldn't get the earpads to center around my ear perfectly. Although it's not freakishly large, I do have a large head. I blame my large brains for this!
tongue_smile.gif

In the short time I listened to the K 701, the bumps in the headband did not annoy me for one bit, but that could change after long periods of usage.

hmm curious, was the 880 u tried the Pro series? cuz as i read, the pro series is a tighter fit than the non pro ones..

Sep 22, 2008 at 6:31 PM Post #40 of 72
Quote:

Thanks for the recommendation. I think that same store has the the K 601 as well. I'll try auditioning them in the near future.

But why would the K 601 be better for gaming? I always though the K 701 does everything better than the K 601. Wouldn't the K 601 be just as hard to drive as the K 701?

No, The 601's are a mix of both the 501/701's.. Has both of their strength, & IMO few of their weaknesses.. search 601s & gaming, & you'll see why they are more heralded for gaming ten the 701s.

Sep 23, 2008 at 9:20 AM Post #41 of 72
Quote:

Originally Posted by callmevil /img/forum/go_quote.gif
hmm curious, was the 880 u tried the Pro series? cuz as i read, the pro series is a tighter fit than the non pro ones..

No, the headphones I auditioned were the standard DT 880 (250 ohms), but don't let this scare you off if you were considering to get these headphones. Just because they didn't fit me, doesn't mean the same will apply to you. I'm probably one of the very few exceptions.

Sep 23, 2008 at 9:21 AM Post #42 of 72
Quote:

Originally Posted by kool bubba ice /img/forum/go_quote.gif
No, The 601's are a mix of both the 501/701's.. Has both of their strength, & IMO few of their weaknesses.. search 601s & gaming, & you'll see why they are more heralded for gaming ten the 701s.

I see what you mean. I'll try to audition them soon. Still, I wonder if they can be driven by the receiver...

Sep 23, 2008 at 2:39 PM Post #43 of 72
They should be fine from a receiver. They sound OK out of a portable amp. They sound better out of my vintage NAD or Starving Student, but they not really hard to drive.

Sep 27, 2008 at 5:46 PM Post #44 of 72
Well, I just went to the hifi store again to audition some headphones. First, I want to clear something up: The DT 880 do fit my head! The one that didn't fit apparently had faulty mechanics which made it impossible to extend the headphone. The store owner explained this to me and gave me another pair which did fit.

The headphones I tested were the AKG K 701, K 601, Beyerdynamic DT 990, DT 880 and Grado SR 325i. Here are some quick first impressions from me. Remember, these impressions are based of my opinions after a short time of listening and might not represent your taste and experience.

AKG K 701: These were awesome. They were very spacious and had lots of clarity and detail to everything. Some might call these bass-shy headphones, but I disagree. I enjoyed these headphones a lot listening to some hip hop and R&B songs.

AKG K 601: Like the K 701, these produced a very spacious sound, and were very detailed, but not quite as detailed as the K 701, which makes it sound a bit less exciting. It's almost like the K 701 are more full of life or something.

Beyerdynamic DT 990: Put these on... "Woow, way too dark for me.". Let's try the DT 880...

Beyerdynamic DT 880: "Now that's better!" These headphones were pretty good. The bass had a little bit more impact and depth than the K 701. The soundstage was also quite large, but it doesn't compare to the K 701/601's. Like the K 701, these produce a very neutral sound, yet somehow, these also sound a little less exciting as well.

Grado SR 325i: Just wanted to try them for once. These were pretty exciting to listen to. They aren't neutral by any means, but the added coloration to the sound is actually quite nice. They probably have the best bass of all these headphones. The detail is also quite exceptional. Overall, these are very nice headphones. I understand why people call Grado "The king of rock" now. My only complaint to these headphones is that the soundstage was very small.

Overall, I liked the K 701 best here. I only doubt they will sound good on the Yamaha RX-V663 receiver. Now I just wish I could audition the ATH-AD900 for once.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back