Yamaha RX-V663 Amplifier/Receiver
Aug 27, 2008 at 8:11 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 72

ATHFan

100+ Head-Fier
Having a PC and a PlayStation 3, the Yamaha RX-V663 Amplifier/Reveiver seems to be a great product for receiving and outputting HD audio to headphones. I was just wondering about a few things.

How well does this work with the PlayStation 3? Can you connect it through HDMI and output all HD audio like DTS HD and Dolby TrueHD? Are there any problems doing this?

How good is Silent Cinema compared to Dolby Headphone? Will Silent Cinema be able to output HD audio like DTS HD and Dolby TrueHD to headphones?

Will this be able to drive high impedance headpones like the Beyerdynamic DT 880 (600 ohms or 250 ohms)? Or would I need an external headphone amplifier? Can you connect a external headphone amplifier to the RX-V663?

Can anyone please answer these questions?

Thanks in advance!
atsmile.gif

Yamaha RX-V663: 7.1-Channel Digital Home Theater Receiver RX-V663 : YAMAHA Audio and Video

Aug 27, 2008 at 8:45 PM Post #2 of 72
Quote:

Originally Posted by ATHFan /img/forum/go_quote.gif
How well does this work with the PlayStation 3? Can you connect it through HDMI and output all HD audio like DTS HD and Dolby TrueHD? Are there any problems doing this?

Yes, the Yamaha should receive them with no problem. It's a HDMI 1.3 compatible receiver. In fact, the 663 can receive uncompressed DSD audio from SACDs with the Oppo 980. That means there's the possibility that it might be able to from the PS3 with a firmware upgrade.

Quote:

How good is Silent Cinema compared to Dolby Headphone? Will Silent Cinema be able to output HD audio like DTS HD and Dolby TrueHD to headphones?

In my listening, Yamaha's Silent Cinema is superior to Dolby Headphone in soundstage emulation. The feeling of being in the middle of something is more realistic. I believe it can output HD audio, but I don't think it will make any difference through two channels. It might have to downconvert the signal before it mixes it to two channels, especially if you're using Silent Cinema

Quote:

Will this be able to drive high impedance headpones like the Beyerdynamic DT 880 (600 ohms or 250 ohms)? Or would I need an external headphone amplifier? Can you connect a external headphone amplifier to the RX-V663?

I've run high impedance cans through other Yamaha receivers to good effect. You can also easily hook up a headphone amp through the MD/CD-R output or the speaker preouts. I don't think you can apply Silent Cinema to anything other than the headphone jack, though.

Aug 27, 2008 at 11:01 PM Post #3 of 72
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sherwood /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I've run high impedance cans through other Yamaha receivers to good effect. You can also easily hook up a headphone amp through the MD/CD-R output or the speaker preouts. I don't think you can apply Silent Cinema to anything other than the headphone jack, though.

Does that mean I won't be able to use Silent Cinema when connected to a external headphone amplifier?

Aug 28, 2008 at 2:08 AM Post #4 of 72
Quote:

Having a PC and a PlayStation 3, the Yamaha RX-V663 Amplifier/Reveiver seems to be a great product for receiving and outputting HD audio to headphones. I was just wondering about a few things.

Very well.. I have a Yamaha V1800, which is 3 models above the 663, & the build quality is stunning.. Sometimes I just stare at it
beerchug.gif
I connect it through HDMI & output HD audio down mixed to 2 channels.. There is a difference in SQ, but not on the same level as multi speakers, so don't go in expecting a great improvement over lossy DD & DTS.

I prefer SC over DH.. For one you can modify the parameters of each soundfield to your hearts content.. SC supports HD audio, at least from my experience.. I A/B DH & SC side by side, switching receivers.. DH has the edge in seperation & spaciousness.. But SC has a better forward presentation, & much better depth, especially to the L/R, Accuracy is deadly accurate & actual surprised me.. Resistance is a great IE of what it can do..SC also images better, & has more 'weight' to the audio.. I sold my HK 146 soon after.. Power wise, there was no question the V1800 is much better.. & actually surprised me a bit.. I didn't expect it..

Will this be able to drive high impedance headphones like the Beyerdynamic DT 880 (600 ohms or 250 ohms)? Or would I need an external headphone amplifier? Can you connect a external headphone amplifier to the RX-V663?
Can't really say.. But I do know my V1800 can drive my 340's pretty well, & my 600 240 sextetts even better.. But for optimal drive you'd need a powerful external amp to really push the 600 Beyers.. I'm so far impressed with the headphone output on my V1800.. I did have low expectations coming in, so you can be the judge.. They mate extremely well with my Sony SA5000. Hearing low level detail I don't remember hearing with my DAC1/RSA HR-2 combo.. But for stereo the DAC1 really clobbers the Yamaha V1800.. Much more transparent, clear.. & seperation & air between the notes & instruments are huge.. But with a all digital connected ACC for music files through HDMI, the advantages of the DAC1 shrink considerable to my ears..

Can anyone please answer these questions?

Thanks in advance!
atsmile.gif

Yamaha RX-V663: 7.1-Channel Digital Home Theater Receiver RX-V663 : YAMAHA Audio and Video

ATHFan;4659259 said:

Very well.. I have a Yamaha V1800, which is 3 models above the 663, & the build quality is stunning.. Sometimes I just stare at it
beerchug.gif
I connect it through HDMI & output HD audio down mixed to 2 channels.. There is a difference in SQ, but not on the same level as multi speakers, so don't go in expecting a great improvement over lossy DD & DTS.

I prefer SC over DH.. For one you can modify the parameters of each soundfield to your hearts content.. SC supports HD audio, at least from my experience.. I A/B DH & SC side by side, switching receivers.. DH has the edge in seperation & spaciousness.. But SC has a better forward presentation, & much better depth, especially to the L/R, Accuracy is deadly accurate & actual surprised me.. Resistance is a great IE of what it can do..SC also images better, & has more 'weight' to the audio.. I sold my HK 146 soon after.. Power wise, there was no question the V1800 is much better.. & actually surprised me a bit.. I didn't expect it..

Will this be able to drive high impedance headphones like the Beyerdynamic DT 880 (600 ohms or 250 ohms)? Or would I need an external headphone amplifier? Can you connect a external headphone amplifier to the RX-V663?
Can't really say.. But I do know my V1800 can drive my 340's pretty well, & my 600 240 sextetts even better.. But for optical drive you'd need a powerful external amp to really push the 600 Beyers.. I'm so far impressed with the headphone output on my V1800.. I did have low expectations coming in, so you can be the judge.. They mate extremely well with my Sony SA5000. Hearing low level detail I don't remember hearing with my DAC1/RSA HR-2 combo.. But for stereo the DAC1 really clobbers the Yamaha V1800.. Much more transparent, clear.. & seperation & air between the notes & instruments are huge.. But with a all digital connected ACC for music files through HDMI, the advantages of the DAC1 shrink considerable to my ears..

On a side note pure digital or (or something similar) shuts off everything, but the minimum circuitry. This lowers the noise floor by a good margin & brings higher fidelity to the table.. Also less harsh & fatiguing. Is more transparent & feels more natural to me..

The compressed enhancer function is also good.. It extends the highs & lower of compressed files.. Better dynamics.. & the notes have more weight to them.. It's also one of the best settings for gaming.. It fills in the 'spaces', like you are hearing everything within the ear cups.. & the left & right width increase dramatically.. It's like wearing glasses, it extends behind the ears.

Aug 28, 2008 at 5:31 AM Post #5 of 72
Thanks. The RX-V663 sounds even more interesting now!.
atsmile.gif

Are you still able to use Silent Cinema when connected to a external headphone amplifier? Do you have to connect your headphones to the RX-V663's headphone jack to turn Silent Cinema on? Or is there a way to output Silent Cinema to the headphone amplifier?

Aug 28, 2008 at 6:27 AM Post #6 of 72
Quote:

Thanks. The RX-V663 sounds even more interesting now!.
atsmile.gif

Are you still able to use Silent Cinema when connected to a external headphone amplifier? Do you have to connect your headphones to the RX-V663's headphone jack to turn Silent Cinema on? Or is there a way to output Silent Cinema to the headphone amplifier?

Haven't tried it with a external amp. Yes, SC automatically turns on when you plug in your headphones.. A way to output SC to a headphone amp..Maybe if you get a amp with a line out. You can connect a 1/8 to 1/8 cable, & put a 1/4 adapter on one end & plug it into the headphone jack then control the volume with the amp.. SC will be on since the 1/4 jack is plugged in.. I tried this two yrs ago, but don't remember if I still got SC or not.. Or maybe try a RCA audio cables to 1/4 cable.. Plug the red/white cables in the back of your amp & the 1/4 cable in the headphone out on your receiver, then try to control the volume with the receiver & amp.. This is just speculation.. But I do know the headphone jack must be in use to get SC.. I never tried the 663, just two models above it, which has a bigger power supply. I don't know if that will have any effect on the headphone sound.

Aug 28, 2008 at 8:03 AM Post #7 of 72
Quote:

Originally Posted by kool bubba ice /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Haven't tried it with a external amp. Yes, SC automatically turns on when you plug in your headphones.. A way to output SC to a headphone amp..Maybe if you get a amp with a line out. You can connect a 1/8 to 1/8 cable, & put a 1/4 adapter on one end & plug it into the headphone jack then control the volume with the amp.. SC will be on since the 1/4 jack is plugged in.. I tried this two yrs ago, but don't remember if I still got SC or not.. Or maybe try a RCA audio cables to 1/4 cable.. Plug the red/white cables in the back of your amp & the 1/4 cable in the headphone out on your receiver, then try to control the volume with the receiver & amp.. This is just speculation.. But I do know the headphone jack must be in use to get SC.. I never tried the 663, just two models above it, which has a bigger power supply. I don't know if that will have any effect on the headphone sound.

What if the external headphone amplifier has RCA input and output. Would I be able to connect the RX-V663 to the amplifier through RCA, have the sound amplified, and send it back to the RX-V663 through RCA? Does this make it possible to listen to amplified sound by connecting your headphone to the RX-V663's headphone jack?

Aug 28, 2008 at 5:57 PM Post #8 of 72
Quote:

Originally Posted by kool bubba ice /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Can't really say.. But I do know my V1800 can drive my 340's pretty well, & my 600 240 sextetts even better.. But for optical drive you'd need a powerful external amp to really push the 600 Beyers.. I'm so far impressed with the headphone output on my V1800.. I did have low expectations coming in, so you can be the judge.. They mate extremely well with my Sony SA5000. Hearing low level detail I don't remember hearing with my DAC1/RSA HR-2 combo.. But for stereo the DAC1 really clobbers the Yamaha V1800.. Much more transparent, clear.. & seperation & air between the notes & instruments are huge.. But with a all digital connected ACC for music files through HDMI, the advantages of the DAC1 shrink considerable to my ears..

On a side note pure digital or (or something similar) shuts off everything, but the minimum circuitry. This lowers the noise floor by a good margin & brings higher fidelity to the table.. Also less harsh & fatiguing. Is more transparent & feels more natural to me..

The compressed enhancer function is also good.. It extends the highs & lower of compressed files.. Better dynamics.. & the notes have more weight to them.. It's also one of the best settings for gaming.. It fills in the 'spaces', like you are hearing everything within the ear cups.. & the left & right width increase dramatically.. It's like wearing glasses, it extends behind the ears.

Looking at the specifications of your AKG K 340 (which are 400 ohms headphones) and the AKG K 240 Sextett (which are 600 ohms headphones), I am impressed that the RX-V1800 can drive them without an external amp. Would one say this would also be the case for the Beyerdynamic DT 880 (600 ohms)?

When comparing the RX-V663 to the RX-V1800, there aren't that many differences in the specifications, but if the RX-V1800 (or even the RX-V863) has an easier time driving high impedance headphones when compared the RX-V663, I guess it's worth the price upgrade if I don't need an external amplifier anymore.

What made you choose the more expensive RX-V1800 over the RX-V663? Was the RX-V663 not released yet at that moment?

Aug 28, 2008 at 6:21 PM Post #9 of 72
Quote:

Looking at the specifications of your AKG K 340 (which are 400 ohms headphones) and the AKG K 240 Sextett (which are 600 ohms headphones), I am impressed that the RX-V1800 can drive them without an external amp. Would one say this would also be the case for the Beyerdynamic DT 880 (600 ohms)?

When comparing the RX-V663 to the RX-V1800, there aren't that many differences in the specifications, but if the RX-V1800 (or even the RX-V863) has an easier time driving high impedance headphones when compared the RX-V663, I guess it's worth the price upgrade if I don't need an external amplifier anymore.

What made you choose the more expensive RX-V1800 over the RX-V663? Was the RX-V663 not released yet at that moment?

found a great deal on them..
smily_headphones1.gif
737.00.. They retail for 1,300.. The V1800 are a step up from the 663-863 line.. Better chasis, vibration control.. Jitter correction technology, beefier PS, etc.. But I can't say if that will make it sound better then the 663 with headphones. The V1800 drive my 340/240 Sextetts better then I thought they would.. But nothing drove them as well as the RSA HR-2..

Aug 28, 2008 at 7:23 PM Post #10 of 72
Quote:

Impedance doesn't tell you everything about how hard a headphone is to drive. Some of my 150 ohm Yamaha orthos are harder to drive than my Sextetts. From what I've read, and from kool bubba ice's post, the K340 are harder to driver than the Sextetts as well. The Sextetts are not really that hard to drive.

Aug 28, 2008 at 7:55 PM Post #11 of 72
So it's a big gamble then. I could get the RX-V663 and hope it can drive a set of Beyerdynamic DT 880 (600 ohms) headphones, but what if it doesn't?

Can I connect an external headphone amplifier and have the amplified sound loop back to the RX-V663 through RCA so I would be able to use Silent Cinema? If so, would the quality of the sound suffer?

Should I go for the standard Beyerdynamic DT 880 (250 ohms) in stead? Though I don't know if the RX-V663 would be able to drive these either.

Aug 28, 2008 at 8:37 PM Post #12 of 72
Just so we're clear on terms here, no matter what it will be able to drive them. The point being debated here is whether it will be able to drive them well.

The Yamaha will certainly produce an appropriately loud signal into any of the headphones mentioned, including the 600ohm Beyer Manufaktur. Some headphones, however, benefit tonally from better amplifiers.

Any sonic gains you would get from an external headphone amplifier would be lost through Silent Cinema processing anyways. I wouldn't worry about trying to find a way to have an external amp ALSO do Silent Cinema.

In my opinion, we're missing the forest for the trees here, gentlemen. ATHfan wants to know if the Yamaha RX-V663 would give him high-quality audio through a great pair of headphones, not whether using a full mesh plate rectifier will lend him greater warmth and soundstage in the 3rd cello of Rachmaninoff's Fifth.

The Yamaha is the way to go. It is a phenomenal amp at its price, and a choice choice for any PS3 owner.

Save the amp until you've gone fully crazy, and don't blink an eye at spending an extra $500 to help you suspend disbelief.

Aug 28, 2008 at 9:00 PM Post #13 of 72
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sherwood /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Just so we're clear on terms here, no matter what it will be able to drive them. The point being debated here is whether it will be able to drive them well.

The Yamaha will certainly produce an appropriately loud signal into any of the headphones mentioned, including the 600ohm Beyer Manufaktur. Some headphones, however, benefit tonally from better amplifiers.

Any sonic gains you would get from an external headphone amplifier would be lost through Silent Cinema processing anyways. I wouldn't worry about trying to find a way to have an external amp ALSO do Silent Cinema.

In my opinion, we're missing the forest for the trees here, gentlemen. ATHfan wants to know if the Yamaha RX-V663 would give him high-quality audio through a great pair of headphones, not whether using a full mesh plate rectifier will lend him greater warmth and soundstage in the 3rd cello of Rachmaninoff's Fifth.

The Yamaha is the way to go. It is a phenomenal amp at its price, and a choice choice for any PS3 owner.

Save the amp until you've gone fully crazy, and don't blink an eye at spending an extra $500 to help you suspend disbelief.

Yes, you understand what I want from my audio system.

Guess another way to put it is that I want to know if the RX-V663 is enough to drive the Beyerdynamic DT 880 (600 ohms) headphones as Beyerdynamic intended them to. Like Sherwood says, I don't really care that much about added sound signature that comes with a dedicated headphone amplifier. As long as the headphones are driven as well as the headphones' manufacturer intended them to (as opposed to the amplifier's manufacturer), I'm okay with it.

I'm sorry if I wasn't clear about this first. I never owned a amplifier before, so this is all new to me.

Aug 28, 2008 at 9:33 PM Post #14 of 72
ATHfan, do you already own the Beyers or are you planning on buying them? If you already have them, I'd go to a store and try them with the amp. If you don't own them, I own the DT880 250 ohm and can try the amp for you at a Best Buy near me. My bet is that unless the headphone section is very bad, the Yamaha should be able to drive them. After all, a sub $100 portable amp can drive them to deafening levels.

Aug 28, 2008 at 9:42 PM Post #15 of 72
Quote:

Originally Posted by scompton /img/forum/go_quote.gif
ATHfan, do you already own the Beyers or are you planning on buying them? If you already have them, I'd go to a store and try them with the amp. If you don't own them, I own the DT880 250 ohm and can try the amp for you at a Best Buy near me. My bet is that unless the headphone section is very bad, the Yamaha should be able to drive them. After all, a sub $100 portable amp can drive them to deafening levels.

I don't own the headphones. I doubt I would be able to drive the DT 880 (600 ohms, or even the 250 ohms) with my current setup. So I plan to purchase the amplifier/receiver and headphones at the same time.

If you could test your DT 880 out with a RX-V663, I would really appreciate it. Thanks for your help!
atsmile.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back