Yamaha receiver vs. Sound Blaster Z for Philips X1's
Jan 22, 2014 at 11:20 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

Grandagony

New Head-Fier
I'm going to post this in "Computer Audio" as it seems like the correct spot for it, I apologize if I'm mistaken.

I currently have my PC hooked up via HDMI to a Yamaha RX-V373 5.1 receiver from my 2nd ATi HD6950 (crossfire setup) video card. I switch to the HDMI when I want to use my speakers then back to my Sound Blaster Z when I'm using headphones, which seems to be way more often then the speakers these days. Can anyone who knows way more then me tell me if it's a waste to even bother with switching back and forth or should I just hook an optical cable from the Z to the receiver and be done with it?

I much prefer the SBX "surround sound" through  headpones on the Z vs. the "Silent Cinema" on my Yamaha receiver when it comes to gaming. Does the receiver have an advantage over the Z when it comes to headphones that I'm not aware of? Thanks in advance for the help.

Side note; who came up with the name "Silent Cinema" anyway? Just sound wrong...

Jan 23, 2014 at 1:34 AM Post #2 of 6
  I'm going to post this in "Computer Audio" as it seems like the correct spot for it, I apologize if I'm mistaken.
I currently have my PC hooked up via HDMI to a Yamaha RX-V373 5.1 receiver from my 2nd ATi HD6950 (crossfire setup) video card. I switch to the HDMI when I want to use my speakers then back to my Sound Blaster Z when I'm using headphones, which seems to be way more often then the speakers these days. Can anyone who knows way more then me tell me if it's a waste to even bother with switching back and forth or should I just hook an optical cable from the Z to the receiver and be done with it?
I much prefer the SBX "surround sound" through  headphones on the Z vs. the "Silent Cinema" on my Yamaha receiver when it comes to gaming. Does the receiver have an advantage over the Z when it comes to headphones that I'm not aware of? Thanks in advance for the help.
Side note; who came up with the name "Silent Cinema" anyway? Just sound wrong...

Chances are the Yamaha's headphone has a higher output impedance (Ohms), then the SB-Z's headphone output impedance of 22-Ohms.
Technically with 30-Ohm headphones like the Philips X1, it would be prefer to plug them into a headphone jack with a impedance of 4-Ohms (or less).
So I can't see a good reason for ever plugging the Philips into the Yamaha, over the SB-Z.
Personally, I like the "Silent Cinema" name.

Jan 23, 2014 at 9:59 AM Post #4 of 6
When I plug my X1 directly into my SBZ it sounds just great. In this case, don't worry too much about impedance as the Philips pair well with the Z. Plugging them into my amp (very low impedance).... it's noticeable, but by a margin (there are other factors at play too like the quality of the amp).

Jan 23, 2014 at 11:41 PM Post #5 of 6
In the end do you think this Sound Blaster Z is worth keeping vs. just using my receiver via HDMI? With these X1's I'm actually finding my self leaving SBX Pro Studio off in games and music more and more.

Running optical from the Z to the receiver seems like a waste vs. HDMI, though it is nice to not have to change default playback device in Windows audio settings when I want to use my 5.1 speakers. But then again I'm not getting true 5.1 via optical anyway am I?

I can't decide if I like the receiver's headphone jack or not. The Z seems to have the edge on the headphone SQ both in music and games.

Jan 24, 2014 at 4:30 PM Post #6 of 6
Depends on if you need the gaming functions of the Z, it not waste ful to send it to your receiver thru optical if you want the options for gaming and maybe the other settings. The headphone amp on it will be useful if you use headphones. If you have no plan to use headphones that will benefit from the Z hp amp or you fiqure you don't care or need the SBX pro options, then yea you can get rid of the sound card. 

I do the same thing with the Asus Xonar DGX that I have using optical with it to send over Dolby headphone  for gaming and SVM when I streaming videos thru comcast's streaming service.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back